Is this depression ever gonna end?

Raichel

Let's say I would:

1) Work out on a daily basis.

2) Maintain a healthy diet (limited alcohol, no smoking, plenty of fruits and veggies, etc.)

3) Take good care of my appearance and personal hygiene.

4) Quit gaming and spending endless hours on the internet as a way of 'coping' with reality. (this has been an escapism for far too long)

5) Get a pet to combat loneliness.

6) Do not quit high school but try my best to get a diploma.

7) Spend my time on studying and reading books to get a sense of fulfillment and contribute to personal growth.

8) Continue taking antidepressants and visit a therapist to get started with CBT.

9) Attend one or multiple assertiveness and/or social skills courses.

10) Start a journal to organize thoughts.

Will my depression go away after a few months? I am reluctant to try all of this because right now I believe I'll never get better (dramatic I know, but that's just the way it feels). I've spent the past few weekends laying in bed all day, barely eating anything at all. I cannot stand music anymore, haven't read a single book this year (used to love reading) and eventually even hazelnut milk chocolate lost its flavor (that's when you know things are really - really - bad).

I've had mild depression for two years, but the past four months have been particularly bad. My depression was mainly caused by my complete lack of self-esteem and increasing social anxiety which led to avoidant behaviour and loss of many good friends.

Would love to hear if any of you have been in the same spot and how you got over it. Please also feel free to share any additional tips.

Gadfly

Impossible to say. The world...is depressing. Things were going well enough for me until I got busted for growing marijuana, but I was still depressed vicariously. Look around...we're burning Roman. Can't hurt to try your regimen though...fitness is a huge high.

lithiumflower

Like Gadfly said, it's unknown what will and could happen. But I would say it is worth a try. I wish I'd tried harder back many years and years ago. It's hard when you feel like it's pointless... but the longer you push it away, the harder it will be to try and combat in the future.

Hoppy

If you do all that, your depression will go away eventually.

The sense of accomplishment when doing all those things in spite of the effort involved will make you feel better.

The alternative is doing what you are doing now, and that doesn't work for you, so why not try something else?

Esperance

You never know what is going to happen. For exemple, During 1 year and half, I get a little depression, cry for nothing ( because I didn't do something perfectly ), spend most of the time in the dark, eat nothing but after, it just dissapear, don't really know how.
I think that the key is that you enjoy your life, find something that makes you happy. Something that will makes you say at the end of the day " That was great ", something that makes you smile and for that, well, you need to try many things, same if you think you will not like them. For exemple, you said that you loved reading. You could try to write, you don't have to write something big. Something little at the beginning is good

Last edited:

ImNotMyIllness

(looking at your list) You're really on the ball! :) Depression can be very cyclical. It almost takes a life of its own, coming and going at will. It seems, depending on when my Depressive episode starts, that I'll suddenly wake up one day FULL of ENERGY and happiness. It's like the veil has lifted. A Bear coming out of hibernation ready to eat again........and then months or years later, something happens and I'm back in my depression.

Until you work on your self esteem and figure out what makes you special and valuable, you will Always RELAPSE. Something will happen to confirm your self doubts and then you're back to square one! Focus on reasons to love and accept yourself.

The good news is that you're very proactive! A friend on this forum sent me this article. Please read it.
The Path to Unconditional Self-Acceptance | Psychology Today

Raichel

@ Hoppy
You're right. That's the reason I'm trying to quit being lazy and start fighting back at depression. Not doing anything has only made matters worse.

@ImNotMyIllness
Yes, lack of self esteem is the root of the problem. Thanks a lot for the article, going to read it later on this evening.

sullyS25

Well you certainly seem motivated to do things to help yourself change which is amazing! Don't get discouraged if you dont see the results right away, things will change. Life is full of highs and lows. To know what it is like to be happy you MUST know what it is like to be sad. When I am happy it is because I am comparing how I feel at the moment to the way I have felt in the past.

Your list of things you are doing seems to be complete but I wanted to suggest meditation and spirituality which are two things that really helped me....Im not saying you SHOULD do this, just what I did and what helped me A LOT. What works for some people doesnt work for others

Gerard

Let's say I would:

1) Work out on a daily basis.

2) Maintain a healthy diet (limited alcohol, no smoking, plenty of fruits and veggies, etc.)

3) Take good care of my appearance and personal hygiene.

4) Quit gaming and spending endless hours on the internet as a way of 'coping' with reality. (this has been an escapism for far too long)

5) Get a pet to combat loneliness.

6) Do not quit high school but try my best to get a diploma.

7) Spend my time on studying and reading books to get a sense of fulfillment and contribute to personal growth.

8) Continue taking antidepressants and visit a therapist to get started with CBT.

9) Attend one or multiple assertiveness and/or social skills courses.

10) Start a journal to organize thoughts.

Will my depression go away after a few months? I am reluctant to try all of this because right now I believe I'll never get better (dramatic I know, but that's just the way it feels). I've spent the past few weekends laying in bed all day, barely eating anything at all. I cannot stand music anymore, haven't read a single book this year (used to love reading) and eventually even hazelnut milk chocolate lost its flavor (that's when you know things are really - really - bad).

I've had mild depression for two years, but the past four months have been particularly bad. My depression was mainly caused by my complete lack of self-esteem and increasing social anxiety which led to avoidant behaviour and loss of many good friends.

Would love to hear if any of you have been in the same spot and how you got over it. Please also feel free to share any additional tips.

It is a healthy schedule to deal with the depression.
A depressed condition may gone away by adopting a healthy life style.
A physical workout, and a healthy diet plan helped more to handle the depression.

Last edited:
To answer your original question i don't really know, has beset me since last 4-5 years, but i am still striving to get better and i appears i am succeeding to take one step away from it... every day.

Last edited:

cobalt_bluester

Hi. I think if you do all of those things and stick to them for long enough you will see a definite improvement. I wish you the very best of luck!