Is there really "help"?

Lorraine Manca

I wish we could all be put through some kind of intensive program. These problems seem too big for people to solve on their own. Really, it just breeds guilt and low self-esteem for people like us to think we should cure our own illnesses. It should be treated more seriously. Of course that's an ideal and not reality. In reality, you can kick it, its just a slow and painful process that wastes alot of time that could be spent in better more productive ways.

do you think the available treatment is archaic? what do you think the ideal program would be for treatment? would it be weekly therapy, or would you be checked in somewhere? what would be the goal of the program?

yeah i agree - progress happens, but it can be too slow. the biggest problem is motivation - if you feel really badly about yourself, you're not gonna want to push yourself to get better, which is what is required. i know i've spun my wheels a lot, when i wasn't in therapy.

some kind of half-way house would be pretty nice - maybe it could operate a business also, so the residents could get some job skills and experience dealing with people. and it would have a gradual introduction to group therapy, and exposure therapy. and of course, cbt and meds. and some short form of psychodynamic therapy.

and the residents would be expected to slowly become financially and emotionally independent - there'd be a timeline for each person, based on their problems. and each problem would be slowly addressed, and the progress tracked.

and to help finance it, there could be an agreement like, i'll pay a certain percent of my income back to the place once i get out, up to some amount based on how much time/help the person required.

NothingElseMatters

you are right that is harder doing it on your own but i guess the feeling of success afterwards will be much bigger

what do you think the ideal program would be for treatment?

i think a step by step guide that doesn't include much theory and it's more of action-planned that comes with a personal istructor that can push you a little bit each time when you feel stuck
i also like meatcake's program:)

I would love to go through a really intensive 12-week program or something. Something that would force me to face to face it over and over again for 3 months. I have such a problem facing something for the first time, things that I'm really anxious about like going for a long walk or going into town on a bust day or something. If I was forced to be exposed to that for 12 weeks or so I think it would be brilliant to really get over the original avoidance and be able to face them again, knowing that you've done it once and got through it.
Grr avoidance!

Lorraine Manca

I like meatcake's plan too. Yeah, I wouldn't be too proud to go into some sort of institution for an intensive program, which is hard because its like admitting your hardcore crazy. Paying for it with a percent of future income is good idea too. If we recovered we'd all probably do very well careerwise, because there is an intensity that can be very productive that goes along with these nervous ticks. Yeah, it would have to be gradual, persistant exposure. I think being close to many people with the same problems would be very important too. Its harder to relate to normal people.