Is there life elsewhere?

Is there life elsewhere?

• Total voters

LA-girl

Ok, I see so everything started with a molecule or a protein. So that means it must have required maybe millions/billions (?) of years just in order to make the first cell?

Now take a look at this:

...the universe is at least ten billion orders of magnitude (a factor of 1010,000,000,000 times) too small or too young to permit life to be assembled by natural processes.

Researchers, who are both non-theists and theists and who are in a variety of disciplines, have arrived at this calculation.

Invoking other universes cannot solve the problem. All such models require that the additional universes remain totally out of contact with one another; that is, their space-time manifolds cannot overlap. Thus the only explanation for how living organisms received their highly complex and ordered configurations is that an intelligent, transcendent Creator personally infused this information.

Hugh Ross, Ph.D.

http://www.reasons.org/resources/apologetics/newproofs.shtml

Quixote

...the universe is at least ten billion orders of magnitude (a factor of 1010,000,000,000 times) too small or too young to permit life to be assembled by natural processes.

Researchers, who are both non-theists and theists and who are in a variety of disciplines, have arrived at this calculation.

Well I suppose one can find some "researcher" or "expert" supporting pretty much any idea that the human mind can conceive, and its opposite as well. The fact is, there is such a large number of people around, whose ability to make a living depends on their ability to have their papers diffused and read, that some will find it convenient to specialize in niche sectors, such as finding arguments against the prevailing consensus.

In the long run, it can be expected that a process of natural selection will occur, wiping away the faulted theories, so that the evolution of scientific knowledge can continue :)

EDIT: what is good about evolutionary theory is that, it being a serious theory, it can be disproved. If somebody will manage to prove beyond doubt that the timespan of 5billion years is too short for evolution to have occurred, it will have to go. But I doubt that is the case right now...

LA-girl

One important lesson I have learnt recently, is not to trust arguments, only because the majority seems to do so.

And I really don't understand why it should benefit a scientist to hold to the minority or what you describe as a niche-sector.

Scientists see the evidence for creation, and they see it clearly, but peer pressure, financial considerations, political correctness, and a religious commitment to naturalism force them to look the other way and insist they see nothing. And so, the illogical origins myth of modern society perpetuates itself.

Dr. John Morris

----------

We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of the failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so-stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism. It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is an absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door.

Evolutionist Richard Lewontin in The New York Review, January, 1997, page 31:

humble

Now,sorry,I've no patience to join in this,just something irrelevant:I can't distinguish clavain's avatar from quixote's anymore,only if I see the hat. What's the matter guys,is that the same person with and without a hat? 8O

^wow, latte where did you find this 'ole thing!::p:

*blows dust off thread*....

I believe we have no way of knowing if there is life elsewhere.....yet.

LadyWench

Crap. I accidentally clicked the wrong one. The page froze up for a second. Grrr. I meant to click "yes, definitely". Is there a way to change my answer on the poll? I may not be 100% definitive on this matter, but I certainly believe in the possibility!

AGR

Now, I have to admit I haven't yet read the whole Bible, but what do you mean by Gods? Just curious!

Anyway, the Bible does in fact mention that there are unfallen (our planet is fallen) out there. So yeah, I don't think our little planet is the only one in this endless Universe that has some form of life on it. But I do not believe they have visited this planet before. And of course heaven with God and his angels has to be out there somewhere too, so definately yes. But not in the form of litttle green, scary men! :mrgreen:

cLavain wrote:

Just because astronomers and evolutionists estimate different things does not mean that it is a fact. And everybody who thinks that these scientists are purely obejective, I can tell you they're not. The evolutionists has to base all their theories with the presumption that there is no God. And all the discoveries being made that they try to hide because it would give more crediability to the Bible, for instance that there once was a flood covering the entire earth etc etc...For instance, did you know that all astronomers have been freemasons? And reading about what freemasonry really is, you will soon understand that they have a desire to ruin the credibility of the Bible. So the view of these scientists as purely objective, nah I don't think so...

Uuh....I sense a storm coming up...

Oh, and Quixote- that theory of yours was really depressing I must say...
If everyone had this view on life (not saying that you have) there really would not be a point in life at all. Life would have no purpose or goal at all. It simply amazes me that people believe such thigs...and if life has so little value no wonder why there is such an increase in the rate of people committing suicide these days... :roll:
I think in order for people to become truly happy, they have to know where they come from, what they are doing here and what happens next...

Thats crazy that people actually believe this,btw this guy is a Roman Catolic:
YouTube - ‪Ken Miller on Apes and Humans‬‏

Dont want to enter a debate,but no, evolutionists are not anti God Satanic freemansons

Last edited:
You must simply check your Hitchhiker's Guide:

"It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination."