Is there life elsewhere?

Is there life elsewhere?

• Total voters

IceLad

Do little green men exist? 8O Have they visited this planet before? 8O 8O

I believe that there are some many galaxies out there with so many stars, that the chances are, life has to exist elsewhere and its only a matter of time before they communicate with us (assuming they already haven't tried!).

So what do you think? Spotted any UFOs or do you think its plain daft?

cLavain

Well, maybe.

Btw, astronomers estimate the age of the universe to be at least 10 billion years, which makes the second option a bit inadequate. If not in a million years, then maybe in 10 000 million years? :D

Quixote

I think when you try to come up with a general definition of what life is, what you find is that there is not such a clear dividing line between "living" systems and not living ones, so does it make any sense at all to "search for life"?

For example, a broad definition of life could be the following: life is the organization of some matter into a system that keeps its internal structure stable in spite of varying external conditions (environment), AND functions in such a way as to generate copies of itself (regardless of how).

Now suppose this definition is any good (there may better ones, but they would more or less sound like that) then "life" appears to be a fairly widespread phenomenon: should a computer program simulating the behavioural processes of an ant (there is one around I believe) be seen as less "alive" than the real ant? Or than single-cell bacteria? Or than a simple virus, which consists of less than a cell and still is regarded as a living being? And what about artificial intelligence in games, or, bringing this a little further, the functioning cycle of a car engine? (I guess we'll have to scrap the "reproduction" feature for these last ones, but then, why not.)

In the end, once you consider all of this, the question of whether there are little green men somewhere on a floating rock falls in the distant background of our larger picture: galaxies themselves could be complex and vast enough to form one giant living neural network, of which we are but a tiny cell...

Damn, I almost managed to scare myself into believing all this :)

dzerklis

theres lots of information on aliens (gods) in the bible and ancient eposes of indians and other nations :)

LA-girl

dzerklis said:
theres lots of information on aliens (gods) in the bible

Now, I have to admit I haven't yet read the whole Bible, but what do you mean by Gods? Just curious!

Anyway, the Bible does in fact mention that there are unfallen (our planet is fallen) out there. So yeah, I don't think our little planet is the only one in this endless Universe that has some form of life on it. But I do not believe they have visited this planet before. And of course heaven with God and his angels has to be out there somewhere too, so definately yes. But not in the form of litttle green, scary men! :mrgreen:

cLavain wrote:
Btw, astronomers estimate the age of the universe to be at least 10 billion years, which makes the second option a bit inadequate.

Just because astronomers and evolutionists estimate different things does not mean that it is a fact. And everybody who thinks that these scientists are purely obejective, I can tell you they're not. The evolutionists has to base all their theories with the presumption that there is no God. And all the discoveries being made that they try to hide because it would give more crediability to the Bible, for instance that there once was a flood covering the entire earth etc etc...
For instance, did you know that all astronomers have been freemasons? And reading about what freemasonry really is, you will soon understand that they have a desire to ruin the credibility of the Bible. So the view of these scientists as purely objective, nah I don't think so...

Uuh....I sense a storm coming up...

Oh, and Quixote- that theory of yours was really depressing I must say...
If everyone had this view on life (not saying that you have) there really would not be a point in life at all. Life would have no purpose or goal at all. It simply amazes me that people believe such thigs...and if life has so little value no wonder why there is such an increase in the rate of people committing suicide these days... :roll:
I think in order for people to become truly happy, they have to know where they come from, what they are doing here and what happens next...

Horatio

the bible tyeaches us toi be kindf to alines, becauyse we wer once aliens

my sunday school teacher used t ot ell me off for quoting that verse haha

it also tweaches us not tghet drunk

woops! :twisted:

dzerklis

LA-girl said:
Now, I have to admit I haven't yet read the whole Bible, but what do you mean by Gods? Just curious!

god in the original bible was in plural form. it was changed later on purpose, when the bible was rewritten.

LA-girl

dzerklis said:
LA-girl said:

god in the original bible was in plural form. it was changed later on purpose, when the bible was rewritten.

WHAT?? I have never heard about this... where have you heard that?
Maybe it talks about the trinity: God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit perhaps?

Horatio wrote:
my sunday school teacher used t ot ell me off for quoting that verse haha
Which verse? The one about unfallen worlds?

Besides Horatio, maybe you should change your smooth sailorman in your avatar with the rough constantly drunk (not to mention funny!) Captain Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean) as he probably would be more compatible with your present image.... :lol:

inside-depp-pirates.jpg

dzerklis

LA-girl said:

LA-girl, no its not about the trinity, but never mind! its just a theory i find very believable.

LA-girl

dzerklis said:
LA-girl said:

LA-girl, no its not about the trinity, but never mind! its just a theory i find very believable.

No, I'm not letting you off the hook that easily... :)
But is it just a theory you say? Tell me at least where you heard or read about it.

Horatio

LA-girl said:
Besides Horatio, maybe you should change your smooth sailorman in your avatar with the rough constantly drunk (not to mention funny!) Captain Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean) as he probably would be more compatible with your present image.... :lol:

haha Im sober for a change so can reply without looking like Captain Jack :p although admittingly people at work do often refer to me as 'The Captain", partially because of my slightly old fashioned dress sense and partially for the stash of rum under my desk :twisted:

anyways back to topic... the verse my sunday school teacher used to tell me off for reciting was Deuteronomy, Chapter Ten, Verse 19

"So you too must befriend the alien, for you were once aliens yourselves in the land of Egypt."

I also used this verse as an excuse for hiring "Stargate" on video, explaining to my rather religious parents that the movie displayed a biblical truth :lol:

LA-girl

*Horatio;
LOL! Well, while the verse you referred to is probably not talking about green little men, there are indeed other verse that do seem to mention life on other planets. :wink: Take a look at this:

Scripture mentions inhabitants from other worlds; that is, the existence of intelligent entities, not of earthly origin, is attested to all through the Bible. In the first chapter of Genesis, in which God himself creates the world and in which He utters the famous words, “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness” (Gen. 1:26, NIV), we’re shown immediately not only the existence of something else other than us, we’re shown it predating us, prior to us. We are, relatively speaking, latecomers. And though, of course, we know that the Godhead had to precede us in order to create us, the Bible talks about other cosmic entities, as well.

http://absg.adventist.org/2006/3Q/TE/ETQ306_01.pdf

Now Dzerklis, the second line in bold, is speaking in plural sense, so maybe that is what this Langbein guy were referring to....?

dzerklis

LA-girl said:
Now Dzerklis, the second line in bold, is speaking in plural sense, so maybe that is what this Langbein guy were referring to....?

LA-girl, im not sure what is meant in that line, but Langbein in that book is talking about aliens, how they created an underwater laboratory in 6 days (creation of the word in the bible), how the first humans (eve and adam) were created in genetic experiments, how that laboratory was destroyed on purpose after eve and adam were created (the flood in the bible) and so on and so on. i know it all sounds crazy but when u read that book, Langbein gives facts after facts, and it all makes so much sense, unlike the bible.. no offence to christianity tho :)

LA-girl

Dzerklis, I must say that Langbein's theory you presented is unlike anything I've ever heard before...LOST meets X-files kind of thing... :mrgreen: ...very interesting though!
But I have to say that if I did not have such a strong conviction that the Bible is true, I think I would start trembling very soon as it does sounds a bit frightening! I also feel that the Bible makes very much sense which makes me wanna ask what makes you think otherwise? I'm just curious (as always!) to know... :)

Quixote

Number1usjoe said:
Yes people in philippines act more friendly and are very social.

That's because they are probably direct descendants of the first wave of aliens who colonized the planet in ancient times. I've got a book with all the evidence, antique artifacts, written records, pictures of giant spacecraft landing in Manila etc...

dzerklis

LA-girl said:
Dzerklis, I must say that Langbein's theory you presented is unlike anything I've ever heard before...LOST meets X-files kind of thing... :mrgreen: ...very interesting though!
But I have to say that if I did not have such a strong conviction that the Bible is true, I think I would start trembling very soon as it does sounds a bit frightening! I also feel that the Bible makes very much sense which makes me wanna ask what makes you think otherwise? I'm just curious (as always!) to know... :)

LA-girl, okkee, you asked for it! lol:) lets pick one event described in the Bible and compare it to Langbein's theory and see which variant makes sense and which not.
Creation of Adam and Eve. The Bible says God created Adam of his likeness and Eve was created from Adams rib. Very believable isnt it lol. Now Langbein says Gods (aliens) created Adam of their likeness in genetic experiments (the first experiments were not successful coz monkeys instead of intelligent creatures were created in them). And now the most interesting part - Langbein says Eve was created by modifying Adams DNA, it was something with X and Y chromosomes, and i believe you know that CHROMOSOMES LOOK LIKE HUMAN RIBS. In other words, what the Bible actually says is that Eve was created from Adam's genetic material!

Quixote said:
That's because they are probably direct descendants of the first wave of aliens who colonized the planet in ancient times. I've got a book with all the evidence, antique artifacts, written records, pictures of giant spacecraft landing in Manila etc...

I knew there will be response like yours Quixote! lol but i'm telling you, im no looney!!! Read Langbein's books and you will eventually find the truth.
What i meant with Lanbein giving facts, i wasnt saying he got photos and stuff lol but he gives logical explanations of it all, like the one stated above, about creation of Adam and Eve.

dzerklis

hmm my previous posts sound as if Langbein has gotten his ideas out of nowhere lol so im emphasising now that he studied the Bible (and here i mean the original Bible - Herbraic Bible) and ancient nations eposes FOR YEARS.