Is social phobia and A.D.D. related?

Feathers

people can have one or both, or other things too..

some same or similar vitamins/minerals and lifestyle choices can be deficient in both cases (or there can be other causes)

lunaticbinge

I have ADD too. I think ADD make social anxiety much, much worse. It's one of the main reasons why I don't look for a job. People try to tell me how to do stuff and I try to listen to them, but get distracted by my thoughts so god damn easily. I look like an ass when i don't know what i'm doing after being told like 5 times. Sometimes people assume i've got some kind of mental retardation or something which bolsters my anxiety through the roof.

Felgen

A lot of people with social anxiety have ADD and may even fall somewhere on the autistic spectrum. People with ADD tend to be sensitive to criticism, experience mood swings and have sensory issues, to mention a few. These factors often contribute to anxiety.

neurotic-to-the-bone

I think they are. I have ADD as well and I think it definetely contributes to my social phobia. Because the issues I have from ADD are among the things that makes me feel so ashamed to be me. I also received a lot of criticism from my family because of my behaviour that is ADD related. Being very sensitive to criticism it hasn't exactly helped my already low self-esteem, which I have had since as long as I can remember. ADD>Low Self-esteem>Social Phobia. It's just one vicious chain reaction.

Last edited:

EscapeArtist

people can have one or both, or other things too..

some same or similar vitamins/minerals and lifestyle choices can be deficient in both cases (or there can be other causes)
This.

I feel like I speak of this too often, but ADD is often connected to food intolerances or sensitivities. My mom's extreme ADD was the caues of gluten and lactose intolerance, more and more studies are finding that these two intolerances may contribute to ADD. Also can amplify anxiety/depression. Something to consider! :)
Exercise is important too! Blood flow and such.
(Cured of ADD and a lot of my anxiety/depression) :D