Is SA robbing you of quality of life?

Hannes

Who here feels that their SA is robbing them of their quality of life?
If you feel like this, what do you feel would be able to help you to regain the quality of life you are being robbed of?

Yes, entirely.

But there's not all that much you can do about it. The best thing you can do is try to (relatively) overcome your anxieties. And one way to do that, is to maintain a positive, but realistic attitude towards the problem.

And to get a positive attitude, you'll need a source of strength and inspiration first. And that can be anything really.. A song, a movie, a person, artwork, single philosophical phrase, poetry.. literally anything will do, as long as it give you a sense of strength. :3

In steps:

Find source of strength/inspiration > Learn/obtain positive attitude > Slowly work to get better > Increase quality of life.

Last edited:

lilmutegirl

Yes, it is robbing me of quality of life. Rationally, I know I need to get out more and face my fears (like making phone calls, for example) so that I can be more comfortable doing these things in the future. I am currently in therapy to learn tools to do so. I hope it works. Tomorrow is my third session.

rigby1987

yes. Doing my head in . Feel like going to sleep . everyday repetitive life of ****e
Nothing can help my life , Beyond repair now . too many wasted years sick of it . Just here existing for the sake of **** all.

Rant over

Loudog

Yup, I'm starting to get depressed. It never used bother me to be alone. But now that I had a taste of what its like. I finally know that I've missed out on alot. The only thing that can improve my life is the courage to fight, which I'm starting to believe I wasn't born with.

Aru_Sarutobi

Social anxiety is EATING ME ALIVE!!! I feel like a piece of paper slowly going through a paper shredder, there is no way out, and if I try to get out of this nightmare too fast, I will tear up.

rigby1987

Feels that way sometimes. The only thing that could help me regain the quality of my life would be to move as far away from here as I possibly could. Preferably to another country. There would be absolutely no chance of running into anyone who had bullied me in the past, and therefore, my anxiety would be much less severe.

same here .

Rembrandt Broam

I suppose so. But on the other hand, given that I've always had SA, can I be robbed of something I never really had in the first place?

SA puts limitations on my quality of life, but then so do many other things.

Hannes

Thanks for all the replies, I notice one common aspect in the answers though and that is that a lot of people feel they need to change their environment in order to be able to get away from these feelings, wouldn't it be better to face them head on and begin to take back control?

bluemoonrising

Yes :(
SO frustrating and depressing at times. However, I find being a bit more detatched from life and all the little things constantly swimming round my head helps. Having a 'who the hell cares anyway' kind of attitude helps but it is hard to tap into.

picklebarrel

And to get a positive attitude, you'll need a source of strength and inspiration first. And that can be anything really.. A song, a movie, a person, artwork, single philosophical phrase, poetry.. literally anything will do, as long as it give you a sense of strength. :3

This really does help...It's kind of odd for me though-- I'll read a book and kind of identify with the main character for a while and in a sense act like him throughout my days. It helps a lot but it's kind of a false front I guess. Eventually I forget about it and go back to my SA

Feathers

Hmm, guys - I think a lot of you are much younger than I am... I went from total shyness/introverted/social anxiety (not really diagnosed, but I think that's what it was) to quite outspoken and happy.. I think it can be done!!

Yes, it can affect quality of life.. But in a way *I* affect my quality of life, and even the SA/shyness.. When my energy levels are up, it changes too.. It can be annihilated or at least hugely minimized.. I did get back to old ways when I moved back in with my parents (apparently that was a big mistake) as they still use the negative communication I worked hard on to correct in my head.. And chemical pollution (indoor and outdoor) here may be a factor.. So it's not just the people, it can be the air etc too.. I still believe it can be done again..

pickle, you are right about the books :), I'm a bit like that too.. Have you tried reading any non-fiction such as books by David Burns etc?

There is CBT, good books and changing nutrition and lifestyle etc. IT CAN BE DONE!

So, cheering for you all!!