Is psychiatry a gimmick?

gustavofring

I wouldn't say so, in many severe cases psychiatry can be helpful, but sometimes I am definately scratching my head a little when I read some of those disorder lists, because it makes practically everyone mentally ill.

Has it gotten a little out of hand? Probably. "Create the problem and sell the cure".

Edit: reading the article it does seem a bit overly negative towards psychologists and may come from a bit of a biased and bitter perspective. "Self important, overpaid intellectuals who invent fabricated diseases".. Okay. I think the truth is probably somewhere inbetween, in many cases psychiatry is a very good way to help someone, but diagnosis these days has gone a little over the top. It's dangerous imo to call all psychiatry rubbish as it would undermine people's mental health problems.

Last edited:

Lea

Banned
I agree with the article, but it doesn´t mean there weren´t loads of crazy people around.

coyote

interestingly, the website on which the article is posted is chock full of advertisements trying to sell "natural cures" for the same aliments

so who has the agenda?

jaim38

Not sure if the entire field of psychiatry is quackery. If there was no psychiatry, then mental disorders such as autism, depression, and paranoia would not exist and everybody would be classified as normal.

jaim38

Today I just found out about the tragic shootings at the elementary school - many people died. It made me think about the mall shooting earlier and the batman shootings a while back. Thinking about all this, I have to say that our mental health is just as important as our physical health. Ignoring mental health while only caring about physical health can be disastrous. There are quacks and frauds in every industry (i.e. banking, finance, etc), but the entire field of psychiatry is not quakery.