Is life really worth it?

DeadCities

I know that its a very common thought/feeling and such, but I will be happy one moment and then all of a sudden feel incredibly depressed and nothing seems worth it. Why waste so much effort going to school and getting a job etc.? Will I suddenly become the person I want to and be happy? I think about the way productive people go about their lives and i just don't see a point to it. They work so hard and don't really have anything to show for it. What happyness does it truly bring you in the end? You just get left as empty as the hollow husk you leave behind when you die. It's almost like lifting a veil off you eyes and seeing the world for how empty it truly is. Sometimes I just get full of so much hate this stupid, useless world. Then I move on and get distracted by some mundane problem. Can anyone tell me why we do everything we do? Is it worth it in the end? Elderly suicide rates are among the highest, I guess all those "rich fufilling lives" their promised wasn't enough. It seems like all there is in this world is temporary happyness and permanent sorrow. Can anyone please tell me what makes this stupid world worth it? I really wanna be convinced theres something more to it.

twiggle

If you're still in school then you probably feel this way because you're treated like just another student who has to follow the same rules, possibly wear the same uniform, do the same exams in the same 'important subjects', be given the same leaflets about what to do when you leave school...

It's hard at that age to realise the versatility of living. You've fallen into the dangerous trap of thinking that life is just about leaving school and trying to get a good job and having a family with a big car. Actually there's a lot more to it than that, and when you realise those things that are waiting to be realised you'll probably begin to discover just why life can be worth it.

I've been where you are. Sometimes I still have fleeting thoughts of that nature. But remember that things are what you make of them - nothing more and nothing less. Learn what you love to do and do it.

DeadCities

If you're still in school then you probably feel this way because you're treated like just another student who has to follow the same rules, possibly wear the same uniform, do the same exams in the same 'important subjects', be given the same leaflets about what to do when you leave school...

It's hard at that age to realise the versatility of living. You've fallen into the dangerous trap of thinking that life is just about leaving school and trying to get a good job and having a family with a big car. Actually there's a lot more to it than that, and when you realise those things that are waiting to be realised you'll probably begin to discover just why life can be worth it.

I've been where you are. Sometimes I still have fleeting thoughts of that nature. But remember that things are what you make of them - nothing more and nothing less. Learn what you love to do and do it.

Well I'm 19 and finally going back to finish high school, and yes I might have fallen into that trap I suppose. My parents are proud of me but i don't feel very sucessfull. Everything that other people find so important, and that i used to think was important seems so useless to me. Im trapped, because i can't move on untill i finish high school and eventually college/university etc. I have such a long road ahead of me and I can't find many reasons to continue, I've given up so many times before I struggle everyday to find a reason not to give up again. I know there are other things out there but I won't be able to experience anything untill I move on with my life. I might be able to use friends for support... If I had any, I've lost everyone I've had and new people don't wanna have anything to do with me despite my best efforts. My situation sucks.

twiggle

Everything that other people find so important, and that i used to think was important seems so useless to me. Im trapped, because i can't move on untill i finish high school and eventually college/university etc. I have such a long road ahead of me and I can't find many reasons to continue,

Your life hasn't even started yet. Seriously (and I don't mean that in a patronising way at all so I hope it doesn't sound like that).

You have time to turn it around and before college would be the best time to do it so carry on with this way of thinking at the moment if it helps you work yourself out.

You don't have to have the same interests and values as others. You can be a complete individual if you want to, just find something you enjoy doing and make a life around it.

Its like you say, you have a loooooooong way to go. And along that way will appear all kinds of opportunities you haven't considered yet.

You will change a lot in the next few years. Its up to you to make it a positive change. Remember no feeling is ever permanent :)

LonelyWonders

I ask myself that same question so often, the only answer that keeps me going is.. I guess I have to live and find out huh =\

sullyS25

I understand why you would think this stuff man but you have to realize that most these people live their lives waiting for a future event to happen that will make their life better. When it does happen they are happy for a while but it is short lived and they end up waiting for another event that will make them happy. I see it all the time. "when I get a girlfriend or a wife I will be happy", then they get that and decide that having kids will be the answer. After they have kids they decide they will be happy when the kids leave for college or when they retire. This constant fantasizing about what needs to happen in the future is the norm among everyone. You say "will I ever become the person I want to be and be happy?", well I think you are the person you want to be you just dont acknowledge it.

I have personally come to cherish the present moment because it is all I will ever have. The past does not exist and neither does the future. It is all perceived during the present moment. When I was depressed and constantly anxious it was because i was always seeing the present moment through the eyes of the past or what would come to happen in the future. It drove me insane and led me down the road of being addicted to painkillers, heroin and alcohol. Today I try and live completely in the now and not beat myself up over what I did in the past or what will happen to me in the future and I live a much happier life.

I really dont know where i was going with that but I can tell you that life really is worth it. I used to hate when people said this but Life is Beautiful when I am living in the now.

Felgen

The Cigarette Smoking Man said:
Life is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable because all you get back is another box of chocolates. So you're stuck with this undefinable whipped mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while there's a peanut butter cup or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast and the taste is... fleeting. So, you end up with nothing but broken bits filled with hardened jelly and teeth-shattering nuts. And if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you got left is an empty box filled with useless brown paper wrappers.

C. G. B. Spender tells it the way it is.

Fighter86

Life isn't worth it for me, I'm exhausted from work to the point that I'm tired all the time. Worse, theres never anything to look forward to, never ever. I just go shopping and buy things when I feel stressed and anxious.

I know that its a very common thought/feeling and such, but I will be happy one moment and then all of a sudden feel incredibly depressed and nothing seems worth it. Why waste so much effort going to school and getting a job etc.? Will I suddenly become the person I want to and be happy? I think about the way productive people go about their lives and i just don't see a point to it. They work so hard and don't really have anything to show for it. What happyness does it truly bring you in the end? You just get left as empty as the hollow husk you leave behind when you die. It's almost like lifting a veil off you eyes and seeing the world for how empty it truly is. Sometimes I just get full of so much hate this stupid, useless world. Then I move on and get distracted by some mundane problem. Can anyone tell me why we do everything we do? Is it worth it in the end? Elderly suicide rates are among the highest, I guess all those "rich fufilling lives" their promised wasn't enough. It seems like all there is in this world is temporary happyness and permanent sorrow. Can anyone please tell me what makes this stupid world worth it? I really wanna be convinced theres something more to it.

I think the trick is to avoid following the crowd into suburban oblivion and to put a lot of effort into exploring your options and finding work that you love and are good, such that it never seems like work. Not that you need to be famous, but think of people such as David Suzuki or David Attenborough, 74 and 84 yo and still passionate about what they do