Is anyone on any useful medication?

Tuukka40

I am in an Oral Communications class. While I don't stay up at night dreading a speech, I GET EXTREMELY NERVOUS when the time comes to give it. So nervous that I lose my breath and can't talk and it happens immediately. I start shaking and my speech becomes very very short and choppy. I have a really really really hard time public speaking (not just your typical shyness). I get very noticeably flustered I guess you could say.

Is there anything I could be prescribed that could keep my anxiety in check? Anything working for you guys?

tonicobastos

Propranolol may keep your adrenaline under control but it can also lower your blood pressure so it's not completely safe for some people, ask your doctor about it.
I've used it to make my hands stop shaking and it's very effective for that purpose, people use it in shooting competitions. It's a bit hard to explain but this medication just helps with some physiological symptoms, it won't reduce your anxiety.

Last edited:

Lamb

Klonopin. Takes the edge off anxiety without really being aware of it. Taken on an as needed basis only, can cause dependency.

Propranolol may keep your adrenaline under control but it can also lower your blood pressure so it's not completely safe for some people, ask your doctor about it.
I've used it to make my hands stop shaking and it's very effective for that purpose, people use it in shooting competitions. It's a bit hard to explain but this medication just helps with some physical symptoms, it won't reduce your anxiety.

Yes, this can help with the shaking

Tuukka40

My biggest and worse concern is my shortness of breathe it really ruins everything and probably causes the shaking

My biggest and worse concern is my shortness of breathe it really ruins everything and probably causes the shaking

This seems to be a fairly common problem, there are lots of related links when googling "anxiety shortness of breath" so I recommend having a browse through to see what may be helpful.

eg http://myanxietyblog.wordpress.com/...th-–-one-of-the-most-common-anxiety-symptoms/

From memory, the shaking can come from the release of adrenaline into the body

...but I will also add that shortness of breathe is not a symptom I can recall experiencing while using proprananol - though I can't be certain that it is preventing it. It would sure be worth a try

tonicobastos

I forgot to mention that propranolol gave me Gynecomastia on the right side and I had to go under surgery to remove the mammary gland.
You should definitely ask a doctor before making use of any medication.