insomnia

UnOccupied

This hasn't happened to me in quite some time. But, when it does, i lately have been getting up, and either played video games, or did home work, until i got tired enough to fall asleep. I have accepted that this(insomnia) just happens to me sometimes, but obviously it is exaggerated(and made WAY worse) by my bad days, anxiety, and depression.

EscapeArtist

I have this everyday now.. I usually read if I have the mental energy, play guitar, watch TV, clean my room, go for a walk when it's really bad and I just have to think some things out... Listen to music, try listening to very quiet bands like Hammock. It's so good to listen to make you tired. Or I write, maybe a journal, maybe feelings, maybe a story, whatever I feel up to.

KiaKaha

Banned
I have big sleeping problems. My main problem isnt because I am not tired. Its because I cant relax my mind, or stop thinking about what is worrying me. I do find relaxation tapes like self hypnosis helps a bit. Other than that I take these sleep gels that knock you out for the whole night. I dont like taking those to often though because I usually sleep in then I am late for whatever I have to do that day. Insomnia SUCKS.

I have the radio on, one that has interesting talks about science, philosophy etc etc. It keeps my mind focused on something and away from any troubling thoughts. It stays on all night, so if I wake at all I just go back to sleep.

Most shows are downloadable
ABC RN

Emma03

My problem is I am usually tired throughout the day, but when I want to sleep, I am wide awake. I have taken medication for sleeping, but it makes me feel so bad the next morning..like I got no sleep at all. Sometimes putting a movie on helps, I guess because it distracts my mind.

dman

I think the key is not to think its a big deal. Read, watch TV and know the matter will eventually resolve itself, unless you are using alcohol to get over, which will make the prob bigger and give you an alcohol dependency. If you are staying awake, speak with a medical expert or good friend, (or speak here with me )

dman

maybe you're taking your medication too late. take it early enough, so you've slept it off by morning. Or reduce the dosage.

lonelypothead

Try to wake up really early the next day you don't have work/school. You'll be feeling tired and crappy all day, but you should be able to go to bed earlier.

UnOccupied

I saw a few people mentioned the racing thoughts keeping them up at night. This pretty much is the main reason why many people can't sleep. It has happened to myself since i was 10 years old, and girls, and a libido, and self consciousness came into my life. It is perfectly normal, and happens to us all.

I know for a fact that the better I myself feel, the easier it is to sleep. But, on those nights where i can't seem to sleep(which are becoming more and more rare, due to a few things + CBT), i slow down everything im thinking and stressing about. I then picture every bad situation that happened to me throughout the day. I re-picture the situations that are in my mind, but i picture them how i WANTED them to go. I recreate every bad thing that happened to me in a good fashion, how i wish it could have happened. Whether its an awkward convo, unfair person, confrontation, or even just staying in my room locked up for too long, i picture it how i wish the situation could have went.

This is just my thing i like to do, i am not saying it works for everyone. It really helps me to go to bed, thinking positively, and it helps to alleviate those negative emotions and feelings which don't do us any good to sleep with.

I got the strategy from The Secret Audio series. I recommend everyone on here give this a listen, very good series. Not that i take everything they say to heart, but at THE LEAST, it is very uplifting and motivational. I used to listen to it for a few weeks straight on my ipod when i ran every day. Enjoy everyone!

EscapeArtist

^ You sound like you're really making some good progress, with your CBT and your thought process! Way to go, and that's a good strategy.

I still think the best thing you can do for insomnia is wear your self the hell out during the day. Just exercise like a madman until you almost fall asleep standing up. No way you won't fall asleep then. But when I do have insomnia, I don't see it as an issue (unless I have school. which I don't anymore), it'll balance itself back out when you become extremely tired from a lack of sleep. Plus the nights are nice and quiet, nobody to bother you, nobody to nag at you, peaaaaace...