In a internet based world

My question is in a mainly internet smart phone social media lifestyle we have, should our words we say or type have more consequences be them good or bad? I mean I'm almost 30 and I still remember at about 7 years old saying something rather foolish to the wrong person and instantly regretting it, yet it seems in today's world anyone can say anything about anyone and nothing comes of it. Now I'm all for free speech I'm not saying that I'm saying that due to the internet creating a sort of distance barrior or sort of cloak of anonymity it seems today's younger generations (I'm not that old I know) but people that are younger seem to say whatever they want whenever they think it. Its like there's no filter there. Idk just a thought or topic for discussion

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Never thought of that, but good point. I too remember a couple of nasty things I said to others back in the days and I still remember it and feel guilty about it. Probably something to do with the fact that, on internet, you don't witness the pain you are causing to the person when you pronounce the words to their face?

thank you guys for the feedback Im glad im not totally off base with this then. To be honest it concerns me how our internet and social media outlets are sort of redefining society and the bad thing is I don't think a lot of people 1 notice and 2 even care which is even worse.

It also affects people's physical behaviour in a bad way too.
I have often - sadly at least once a week now - seen a mother walking along the sidewalk with a very young child - 3 or 4 years old - and the mother is looking down at and/or texting on her smart phone/internet, almost permanently while walking along.

It would take merely seconds for that small child to impulsively run onto the road and get hit by a car.
By the time the mother looked up and noticed what was happening, it would be too late to stop her child. Very sad.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
thank you guys for the feedback Im glad im not totally off base with this then. To be honest it concerns me how our internet and social media outlets are sort of redefining society and the bad thing is I don't think a lot of people 1 notice and 2 even care which is even worse.

I don't think anyone could really foresee how the internet would effect human behavior. It has made the world a smaller place, information (and misinformation) travels in minutes not months and is truly global now, we as a species have in effect made our global community smaller.

I think there have been positives in it though.