I'm Starting To Believe Living A Normal Life Is Out Of The Question

206Raider

Living positive....how hard is it? I've gotten a job finally, I've tried going out and doing things like running and going out by the waterfront and I felt better but even when I try to talk to people it just seems awkward. I know i'm attractive whichh in a way makes it worse for me becuase peopel expect me to be more confident and talk to them when they initate conversation but I've lost my sense of humor and I literally lost all my friends, I'm on my own day to day and since trying to get better, I feel extremely worse like I just cannot connect with people anymore like I did, nothing goes passed a couple basic comments. When I was younger and friends with everyone. What really hurt was my sister was like my other half, we got into a fight over a year ago and she moved away and I didn't talk to her for a long time, but I finally went and visited her for a week and I ain't gonna lie, I cried everynight becuase I could not figure out why I could not connect with her anymore or anyone for that matter, no real conversations, it's really like I'm dead inside. I don't know when a part of me went missing but I'm questiong if it can ever come back or if I should start accepting the reality that has been placed upon me and just live a lonely life with internet friends at the most (although I lost most of them too becuase I've avoided this site and a few others in the past couple months). ::(:

coyote

It sounds like you're making some great progress.

Keep moving forward - one foot in front of the other.

Do the next right thing.

The right things will happen when they're supposed to happen.

fitftw

I hate that people expect just because you're handsome, you have to be confident and outgoing. No.

Quiet Angel

I like what Coyote said. I think it's also important to count your blessings, because sometimes it's hard to forget about our gifts when our minds are so focused on our troubles. I catch myself doing that quite often. Hopefully you'll feel better.

respeck27

How hard is positive living? To some people it appears to come naturally, while others see the world through a much bleaker lens. Yet, do we not all live in the same world, on the same planet? So what is it that makes some people "live positively" as opposed to others? In my opinion it is each person's underlying attitudes about the world, but more importantly their attitudes about themselves and how they fit into the world that makes the difference. Ultimately people act according to how they feel about themselves and their feelings and beliefs translate to how they view the world and their current condition. So in order to change one's view and attitudes about life, one must change their attitude about themselves. Granted, every person's situation and life experiences are different. Therefore, changing certain aspects of ones self may be more challenging, or less challenging for each individual. However, with focus, determination, and taking baby steps, anyone can reprogram their self image to accomplish what they desire, or feel how they want to feel. This is more than wishful "positive" thinking, and it will take time, but if you believe that you can make it happen and gradually work to do so, then positive living can be achieved.

I am not saying that I am in any way an expert at this, or that I live my life completely positively, but recently I have been working on re-framing my thinking and changing my attitudes about myself and about life in general. In fact, basically everything that I just wrote comes from a self improvement book that I'm currently in the process of reading and internalizing. Its called "The New Psycho - Cybernetics" by Maxwell Maltz and Dan Kennedy... and no, I am not trying to promote it. You can probably download the unabridged audiobook off of a torrent, or get a used copy for like a penny off of Amazon. My experience with applying the material to my life has been pretty great so far. Even though the process has been fairly gradual, and I'm still struggling with breaking old habits. Nevertheless, it has been and still is extremely beneficial for me, and I feel like it can help you deal with alot of issues in your current situation. So i just wanted to share that.

206Raider

How hard is positive living? To some people it appears to come naturally, while others see the world through a much bleaker lens. Yet, do we not all live in the same world, on the same planet? So what is it that makes some people "live positively" as opposed to others? In my opinion it is each person's underlying attitudes about the world, but more importantly their attitudes about themselves and how they fit into the world that makes the difference. Ultimately people act according to how they feel about themselves and their feelings and beliefs translate to how they view the world and their current condition. So in order to change one's view and attitudes about life, one must change their attitude about themselves. Granted, every person's situation and life experiences are different. Therefore, changing certain aspects of ones self may be more challenging, or less challenging for each individual. However, with focus, determination, and taking baby steps, anyone can reprogram their self image to accomplish what they desire, or feel how they want to feel. This is more than wishful "positive" thinking, and it will take time, but if you believe that you can make it happen and gradually work to do so, then positive living can be achieved.

I am not saying that I am in any way an expert at this, or that I live my life completely positively, but recently I have been working on re-framing my thinking and changing my attitudes about myself and about life in general. In fact, basically everything that I just wrote comes from a self improvement book that I'm currently in the process of reading and internalizing. Its called "The New Psycho - Cybernetics" by Maxwell Maltz and Dan Kennedy... and no, I am not trying to promote it. You can probably download the unabridged audiobook off of a torrent, or get a used copy for like a penny off of Amazon. My experience with applying the material to my life has been pretty great so far. Even though the process has been fairly gradual, and I'm still struggling with breaking old habits. Nevertheless, it has been and still is extremely beneficial for me, and I feel like it can help you deal with alot of issues in your current situation. So i just wanted to share that.

Believe me breh, I know exactly what you mean. I thought I was golden about a month ago and I read self help books too, not to downplay anything you can get better, but staying better is key. I realize that being fearful is a waste, we should only be fearful when it comes to immediate dangers, not thoughts of what others are thinking, they should never hold you back, and I try not to be. Also being positive does come from within, nobody else can make me or us happy, their judgements shouldn't matter at all becuase if you can't please everyone, people won't respect you and you'll never feel free becuase you're trying to coexist with everyone to get them to like you. I had a real positive mindframe for about a couple weeks, I was helping people who needed it and it was radiating towards others, becuase I got more attention but while I have different skills to cope now, I'm still lost in the dark. It's just so hard to live positive when the bad things seem to all pile ontop of eachother just when you feel yourself getting better then I think to myself....I'm not cut out for this

NickyNacker

Reading this was like reading something I wrote. I can definitely relate with everything you said. Well, except being out on your own and having a job. I haven't gotten there yet. But I cannot interact with people like I used to and interaction with people is always awkward now. I don't get it either. It's like I've forgotten how to conversate and I just lock up. I had a best friend back in 05. We lost touch, but she visits every once in a while. She came over yesterday and it was soooo awkward. I was miserable, and couldn't carry a normal conversation. I couldn't even get myself to smile.

I spend most of my time on the internet because all of that isn't an issue online. I can talk to people online and I have more online friends than real friends. If they met me in real life they would be shocked at how awkward I am. :/

DekKO

I hate that people expect just because you're handsome, you have to be confident and outgoing. No.

Same. I'm a good looking guy and when a girl comes up to me it's so awkward. And then they just walk away laughing.

respeck27

Believe me breh, I know exactly what you mean. I thought I was golden about a month ago and I read self help books too, not to downplay anything you can get better, but staying better is key. I realize that being fearful is a waste, we should only be fearful when it comes to immediate dangers, not thoughts of what others are thinking, they should never hold you back, and I try not to be. Also being positive does come from within, nobody else can make me or us happy, their judgements shouldn't matter at all becuase if you can't please everyone, people won't respect you and you'll never feel free becuase you're trying to coexist with everyone to get them to like you. I had a real positive mindframe for about a couple weeks, I was helping people who needed it and it was radiating towards others, becuase I got more attention but while I have different skills to cope now, I'm still lost in the dark. It's just so hard to live positive when the bad things seem to all pile ontop of eachother just when you feel yourself getting better then I think to myself....I'm not cut out for this

In my experience, consistency has been key to change. Its not just about how you feel on a particular day or at a certain time, but how do you feel about yourself on an average day to day basis. Reading a self help book is cool and always makes sense, but gradually and consistently applying the information is the difficult part. Just like jumping into a cold swimming pool, applying new methods for lasting change will be most difficult in the beginning, but slowly and with time and effort they will become second nature. The key is in doing it, regularly, whether you feel like it or not. Think of one thing you want to change about yourself that will make you feel happier, or accomplish whatever it is that you want to accomplish. Use whatever self help method that makes the most sense for you, and take just 30 minutes to an hour in applying that method in your life every day, for the next 21 days. Believe that it will work, and just do it. Write down your progress and thoughts about it as you stick with it. Hell, you can even make a thread on this site as a journal to keep you on track, and for support and motivation. Just ultimately do it, just one thing, one goal, and see how you feel. This can be anything...

For instance, this summer I decided to put on some serious muscle and lose some body fat. So I started doing P90x, 6 days a week. For the first 2 weeks it was absolute hell. I literally couldn't move after workouts, and my body would physically feel to drained and sore to do anything afterwards. But I stuck with it, and after the initial "plunge" I started feeling better than ever before. I kept working out whether I felt like it or not, blindly believing that it would pay off. I wrote down and kept track of my progress, and the results have been amazing. In the past 2+ months Ive put on about 12-15 pounds of muscle and noticeably lost fat. I started off with slight excess fat around my midsection and i now have a 6 pack, I started off being able to do 5 pullups, now I can do multiple sets of 16 - 20, etc. I will admit that there have been a few days that I have skipped, or slacked off. I also did not follow a strict diet plan. Nevertheless I did not lose track of my goal and I am still in the process of completing it.

The point I am trying to make here is that you can change yourself, whether it is your physical characteristic, or your mindset. The process will be very similar and it will most likely be challenging. More challenging at first, then gradually you will become better at it and it will get easier. Just know that YOU ARE cut out for this, everyone is. You are NOT a flawed individual, but a unique human being designed to succeed, and you will succeed. You can be happy, live positively, or do whatever. However, your success depends on your actions and your actions alone. Therefore, what you change and to what extent is entirely up to you. But you have to take action in order to do it. Not tomorrow, or in a week... Now. Neither I, nor anyone else can do this for you, we can only offer you advice, opinion, and encouragement along your journey.

So what is one aspect of your life that you would like to improve? It can be vague or specific, small or large. Think about it, post it, and myself or the numerous other users of this forum might have some information or resources that may assist you in what you're trying to accomplish.