I'm Pissed!!

dzerklis

Marie_knowsbest said:
and then u have people who find every excuse under the sun why this and that wont help them because they have this, was born with this, have always been like this and i could go on with more examples. but mainly just find negatives in any advice they are given.

meh when i say exposure doesnt work for me, i mean it. and u know why it doesnt work? because theres lotsa nasty people like u out there. im just being honest here :roll:

Marie_knowsbest

well if being honest is being nasty in your eyes then thats your problem.

im not saying its a completely mind over matter thing, because when habbits are formed their very hard to break and can even need the help of anti depressants etc. but you need to start somewhere, and the basics is mind over matter. you need to have a frame of mind in which is going to be a platform to lay someone foundations to start getting over sa. there are people who get batter through pure mind over matter. thing is...

paitence is everything. ill break down what i mean.

mind set - positive. start being more optimisic and open minded.

feel happier in self, which will reflect back in to the world.

postive response to new behaviour - behaviour is reinforced and more likely to be repeated.

confidence boost, creating a more positve mind set

feeling more happier in self, which gets reflected back out into the world and postive responses continue.

thats a very text book way of putting it lol and yes i do know theres always other forces at play which dont make it the easyist journey.

p

krs2snow

I just want to throw in here that I tought/think the advice I commented on is stupid, simply because it is stupid. Not because I'm so opposed to the idea of exposure. Not because I don't see some value in the ideas presented here. But because it's stupid. I'm not going to go to a nearby town and hang out in my bathing suit and then tell the cops "Hey guys! Just working on Exposure Therapy! Don't mind me!" As Sabbath commented, it has nothing to do with nothing.

feffer

I did a lot of really silly exposure exercises in a therapy group I was in and it didn't help at all. Honestly I think if exposure is all it takes to cure you then you never had it that bad to begin with. Which is fine, it just won't apply to everybody. And to say that people aren't trying, don't want to try, just want sympathy etc if it doesn't work for them is pretty damned insulting.