I'm going to get a job

coriander1992

Hopefully :lol:

Loads of people my age have part-time jobs, and i'm starting to feel so pathetic and wasteful for not having one.
I've attempted quite a few times now to go to some shops and ask, but I always chicken-out at the last minute and walk away :roll:

I suppose I can't really understand why anybody would want to employ me when there are plenty of other teenagers out there wanting jobs!

Really in need of some encouragement or something here...I dont want to give up on this!!

GloomySunday

I would suggest doing some voluntary work first. There are plenty of opportunities out there to do some interesting things. Visiting the website http://www.do-it.org.uk/ is a great place to start.

It always helps to have a good CV and doing this really helps. It gives you an advantage over other applicants and is always an interesting talking point at an interview.

I did a lot of voluntary work last year and really recommend it. It's all very well having qualifications, but having experience as well will really put you in the lead.

Also, by doing this, you will be able to broaden the type of work you can apply for and maybe try something you've never considered before that you may really enjoy.

Smokeringz

you should set a date, make a resume find out where the best place is to work etc.. Thats what im doing im goona start hunting for one in january

A great place to work is in the warehouse of some big store. I worked at the Canadian tire warehouse over the summer and it's great because you can be as social or anti-social as you want to be :)

Slothrop

Don't concern yourself with whether they would want to hire you or not. That's their decision, and you don't know how they make it, how many people have applied, how many openings they have, etc. Who knows, maybe they draw names randomly from a hat. Leave that up to them, instead of pre-screening yourself by not applying at all. All you're doing is offering yourself up for the work, which is a perfectly normal and reasonable thing to do.

Most places that will even consider hiring teenagers with no experience aren't very picky, anyway. The work doesn't require a lot of skill, and doesn't pay much, so they aren't risking much in hiring almost anyone that applies. "Interviews" for these kinds of jobs are generally just a matter of showing up on time not obviously on high on drugs. If you can do that, you're hired.

Also, try not to think too far ahead at any given stage. Don't worry about the questions on an application until you get an application. Don't worry about an interview until you've gotten a call back or followed-up. Don't worry about doing the job itself until you've been hired. That kind of thing. Just take it one step at a time.

Above all, I say stick with it and don't give up trying. Avoiding it will only make it harder in the long run.

coriander1992

Thanks for all your replies, they're really helpful :) I like your thinking slothrop!

I've decided that i'm going to set a day of next week to go around and ask a few places, and i'll take a friend with me for moral support ( :lol: :roll: ) So fingers crossed! :D

noblame4

Well, I might suggest fast food.

The work was hard as hell and the pay was bullshit. But since the work was so hard, all the people sort of pulled together more. You dont have to be cool to get food sevice people to like you, all you have to do is do your job, haha

Sacrament

coriander1992 said:
Hopefully of people my jobs, and i'm to pathetic and wasteful for one.
I've attempted times now some chicken-out at minute and :roll:

I suppose I understand me when teenagers out jobs!

Really in here...I dont want to!!

Ashiene

i havent met anyone in school who hasn't held a part-time job currently or before, and since im the only one who has never worked, i feel like the odd one out, in everything i do im always the weirdo or the oddball.

Sacrament

coriander1992 said:
Good for you. Well done for having the courage to get yourself a job.

Aw, I'm sorry for putting it like that. I felt bad and I'm glad you didn't react violently.

It was the hardest thing in the world for me to get a job. You have to realize your own potential and that you want to do things in life. Set goals, small goals everyday, and make a list of things you want to do (like travelling, and so on).

It's not fair for 'us' to be trapped. Also, we need to better ourselves one way or another. If you're not at peace, there's something you can do to get away from things on an everyday basis. Try to meditate. I know you'll say it's impossible, and trust me when I say I probably have one of the most overactive minds out there, but something needs to be done and it depends entirely of ourselves. I've been trying to meditate on and off, either on the traditional sense of meditating (like those who practice buddhism), or sitting up in the safety of your room with dark all around you, eyes closed and peaceful music you can swim into and play along with your whole body.

It's hard. God knows it's hard, but I want to marry, to have a family and to teach my kids how to strive.

(Had to create another account - damn the post limit :wink: )

Yeah I am 16 :)
I definately understand what you mean about just focusing on exams, that's very much what i've been doing so far. I'm starting to realise that i'm letting far too much pass me by.
I hadn't thought about using job websites, so thanks for that and i'll definately check those out too :)

Well just a little update, though not much to tell :(

I went to one shop that had a notice up in the window recently saying that they were looking for people..however, it wasn't there today and that totally put me off...so that one didn't happen!
Then I went to a second shop, I was so psyched up for it and was about to go in, but the shop was majorly busy and there were people just everywhere and that totally freaked me out and I could feel myself panicking so I got away.

So I'm not doing well at all so far, but i'm gunna keep trying! :roll:

Vanialo28

Hey, I hope you find one soon! :) I found an article that may be of help when it comes to searching for a job. Here goes!

Be Organized:

If you have lost a good job or have been unemployed for some time, it is easy to become downhearted. How can you counteract feelings of hopelessness? "It is crucial that you establish your own workday schedule so that you start your day knowing what is to be done" suggests the book Get a Job in 30 Days or Less. The authors recommend that you “set daily goals and record what you have done.” In addition, they say that “each day must start with your getting dressed for work.” Why? “Being dressed properly will give you added confidence even when talking on the telephone.”

Yes, you must make it your job to find a job, no matter how long it takes. Obtain the addresses and phone numbers of prospective employers from the employment office, respond to newspaper ads, study the phone book and make lists of companies that might have jobs that were not yet advertised, and then contact them. Meke a résumé and send it to these companies.

Access the Hidden Job Market:

The fisherman with the largest net is the one most likely to catch fish. So, too, your knowing how to increase the size of your “net” will improve your chances of landing a job. If you are looking for work only by responding to newspaper or Internet advertisements, the majority of available jobs may be slipping past your net. A good number of jobs are never advertised. How can you gain access to this hidden job market?

In addition to responding to advertisements, you must set aside time each week to call on businesses that you think may have jobs you can do. Do not wait for them to advertise positions. If a manager says that he has no work, ask him if he knows where else you might look and specifically to whom you should speak. If he offers a suggestion, make an appointment with that company, stating the name of the person who referred you. You can also ask your friends, family, and other associates to help you access the hidden job market.

Be Adaptable:

To increase your chances of finding work, you must be adaptable. It is unlikely that you will find a job that has everything you hope for. You need to learn to be content with employment that is less than ideal. Being adaptable may mean overcoming prejudice against certain types of work.

A Résumé:

No matter what job you seek, a well-prepared résumé can be a great asset. “A résumé tells potential employers not only who you are but also what you have accomplished and why they need you,” says Nigel, an employment consultant in Australia.

How do you compile a résumé? Provide your full name, address, phone number, and e-mail address. State your objective. List the education you have received, highlighting any training and skills that relate to the job you are seeking. Provide details of previous work experience. Include not only what you did but also examples of the goals you reached and the benefits you brought to your previous employers. Also highlight aspects of your previous employment that qualify you for the job you are currently seeking. Include personal information that describes your qualities, interests, and hobbies. Because companies’ needs differ, you may have to adjust your résumé for each application.

Should you produce a résumé if you are applying for your first job? Yes! There may be many things you have done that qualify as work experience. For example, do you have hobbies, such as woodworking or perhaps fixing up old cars? These can be listed. Have you engaged in any volunteer work? List the type of volunteer work you have done and the goals you have achieved.

When you cannot obtain an interview with a prospective employer, leave a small card—preferably four inches by six inches [10 cm by 15 cm]—containing your name, address, phone number, and e-mail address, as well as a brief summary of your skills and accomplishments. On the back of the card, if appropriate, you could even put a photo of yourself or of you with your family. Distribute this card to all those who might help you find work, asking them to hand it to anyone they know who is offering the type of work you are seeking. When a potential employer sees this card, he may grant you an interview—perhaps leading to a job!

Preparing a résumé will help you feel more in control as you search for work. Writing a résumé helps you organize your thoughts and goals. It also builds your confidence by helping you prepare for potential questions you may be asked during a job interview.

Questions you may be asked during an Interview:

Why have you applied for this job?
Why do you want to work for this particular company?
What do you know about the job/company/industry?
Have you ever done this type of work before?
What kind of machines can you operate?
What experience have you had in this area of work?
What skills can you bring to this job?
Tell me about yourself.
What five words would you say best describe you?
Can you work under pressure?
Why did you leave your last job?
Why have you been unemployed for so long?
What was your last employer’s opinion of you?
How often were you absent from work on your last job?
What are your plans for the future?
When are you available to start work?
What are your greatest assets?

Prepare Well for your Interviews:

What is involved in preparing for an interview? You may want to research the company you hope to work for. The more you know about the company, the better the impression you will make during the interview. Your research will also help you determine whether the company really has the kind of work you want or is one you want to work for.

Next, think about what you will wear to the interview. If the job you seek involves manual labor, wear appropriate neat, clean clothing. Neat dress and grooming tell the prospective employer that you take pride in yourself and are thus more likely to take pride in your work. If you are hoping to work in an office, choose modest clothing that is considered suitable business attire where you live. Choose your clothes long before you are due to attend your interview so that you don’t feel rushed and unnecessarily increase your levels of stress prior to the interview.

Arrive for your interview about 15 minutes early. Of course, arriving too early is not wise. But arriving late could be disastrous. Experts say that the first three seconds of your interview are crucial. During that brief time, the interviewer makes assessments about your appearance and your bearing that deeply influence his or her opinion of you. If you are late, you will make an overwhelmingly negative impression. Remember, there are no second chances to rectify first impressions.

Remember, too, that the interviewer is not your enemy. After all, he likely had to apply for his job, so he knows how you feel. In fact, he may be nervous, since he may have received little or no training on how to conduct an interview. In addition, if the interviewer is the employer, he may have much to lose if he chooses the wrong person for the job.

To start off well, smile and give the interviewer a firm handshake if that is the customary greeting. During the interview, concentrate on what the employer needs from you and what you have to offer. Regarding things to avoid. Don’t fidget or slouch—good posture conveys confidence. Don’t be too informal or overly talkative, and definitely do not use profanity. Also, avoid being negative about your former employers and workmates—if you are negative about them, the interviewer will likely feel you will be negative about this job too.

Regarding things to do and say during the interview, experts recommend the following: Maintain eye contact with the interviewer, use natural gestures when you speak, and articulate clearly. Be concise and honest when answering questions, and ask relevant questions about the company and the prospective job. At the end of the interview, if you still want the job, ask for it. Doing so will show your enthusiasm.

Good luck!!