I'm doing better now (mentally) thanks to numerous dogs

ph650

BACKGROUND:
In my previous posts, I came off as highly self-abrasive. It all was sparked by a man's comment two weeks ago: "your social skills are inadequate" he said in reference to me asking if I could join an alt sexuality group of his.

HOW I RECOVERED:
Yesterday, I almost didn't get out of the house. I did and hung out at a dog park. I spent about 2 hrs petting people's dogs. I also talked to dog owners. Unfortunately I didn't have my black lab with me.

There's something about dogs that heals the human soul. It's like ya know, if a dog can show me more kindness than I had toward myself, I must not be that bad. I must stay vigilant for the battle ain't over yet.

like they say dog is a mans best friend. Always loyal and will stick by you no matter what, will never judge you or put you down or make you feel bad, and is always happy to see you.

danstelter

BACKGROUND:
In my previous posts, I came off as highly self-abrasive. It all was sparked by a man's comment two weeks ago: "your social skills are inadequate" he said in reference to me asking if I could join an alt sexuality group of his.

HOW I RECOVERED:
Yesterday, I almost didn't get out of the house. I did and hung out at a dog park. I spent about 2 hrs petting people's dogs. I also talked to dog owners. Unfortunately I didn't have my black lab with me.

There's something about dogs that heals the human soul. It's like ya know, if a dog can show me more kindness than I had toward myself, I must not be that bad. I must stay vigilant for the battle ain't over yet.

Pets can be great recovery tools! They add more diversity to life and increase a human's happiness. I have a soft spot for dogs, and will be getting some as soon as the rest of the circumstances in my life allow for it. Dogs are great because they are so loyal and love people no matter what. They help you to get outside of your life and into the real world, where theoretically most people are existing. Great work on discovering this for yourself and keep doing it if it reduces your anxiety!

FOR REAL

Banned
dogs and cats and gerbils and hamsters and goldfish and cats(i said cats already)
i wouldnt recommend crocodiles though, cause i think they bite!

the point is pets are great :)
they want nothing in return :)

Sinar_Matahari

Alt sexuality group,eh? Interesting. Is this an online group? I think it's a little discriminatory for someone to exclude you just because you "lack social skills". Let's consider the fact that gays, lesbians and bi-sexuals are often discrimminated against. Do you need to be very social to be a gay, lesbian or bi-sexual? What is it exactly that they expect of their members?

Dogs are amazing creatures. They like you for who you are and how you treat them. They are always happy to see you and never deny you a friendly tail wag. :)
It comes as no surprise that you were able to socialize with pet owners. Dogs have a way of soothing people and bringing them together. I've spoken to people that I would normally have never spoken to and vice versa on account of our dogs. I've read that dog owners are less stressed because it is a stress relief to pet, cuddle and play with a dog.
It's especially inevitable to meet people when one walks around with a puppy dog.
I was at a pub a few months back and a man walked in with his bulldog (I love bulldogs!) and I just had to pet his pup and ask him questions about him. One could tell that this guy was quiet and a bit shy but talking about his dog really broke the ice. Eventually he asked me if I wanted to join him outside. Of course, I had to decline to avoid leading the man on, but he was understanding, shook my hand and left. He may have never had the courage to speak to me had it not been for the greatest ice breaker. Dogs tend to bring out the good in people too.

Sinar_Matahari

My boxer is my favorite big dummy in the world. I have a picture of her on the picture thread on this forum. She's really not that large, but she's strong, stubborn, and totally lovable. She's a beautiful dark brindle color and she's such a playful goofy pup that it's hard not to give her lots of hugs. People are terrified of her but they woudldn't be if only they knew what a scaredy cat she is. She'll run off if you wave a sheet of paper at her. You can bark right at her and she'll run to look outside the window for the barking dog. I tell her to go see who's at the door and she jumps on me instead. She also has a hard time stopping herself when she's running really quickly around the house. She'll just stop herself by running into furnture, the wall, door or door frame. :)

People are terrified of her but they woudldn't be if only they knew what a scaredy cat she is. She'll run off if you wave a sheet of paper at her.

maybe if you dressed her with a pink bow on her collar or something, people wouldn't be so afraid of her, lol.

it would be awesome to have like 5 dogs to live with at home - your own social pack. :)