If you weren't an avoidant or social phobic ...

April72

Hey, guys!!
I was wondering how much I would like to be a proffessional músician. Thing I neither can dream bc of my avoidance. The single idea of perform something in front of people sounds like impossible for me. With time and experience, I learnt to sing and dance and make any kind of role plays in front of my learners and some coworkers but no further than this.

What things did you have to give up bc of your avoidance or social phobia?

NamiraWilhelm

I always wanted to be a zoo keeper and work with all sorts of animals. But part of being a keeper often means giving talks and shows. So not possible right now.

Last edited:

planemo

I don't know really. Perhaps not being avoidant would have allowed me to venture into different things at an earlier age, which may have resulted in different things to choose as a profession. If in line with what I studied before I think being an architect or civil engineer would have been nice. Something else I have a passion for is cooking, so maybe a chef, or a pilot, and get to travel the world. I guess it would be something which allows me explore more of the outside world, and hopefully the good side of people.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Life. Jeezoh, that sounded too harsh, didn't it?

Ah've always wondered what it must be like standin' oan a stage performing. Though, ah probably would've been a musician or stand-up comic hud no' been fur ma avoidance, social phobia an' lack o' confidence in ma ain abilities.

Also, ah hated tha performance aspect o' music class when ah wus in high school. Aw them eyes starin' at ye, watchin' ye, mentally critiquin' ye - it pits me off ma game.

I could have been a great gymnast. Gymnastics was the only thing I have a natural talent for.
Who knows how far I could have got without SA.
I could have an Olympic gold medal on my cabinet! :sad: :kickingmyself:

April72

I could have been a great gymnast. Gymnastics was the only thing I have a natural talent for.
Who knows how far I could have got without SA.
I could have an Olympic gold medal on my cabinet! :sad: :kickingmyself:

It's a pity! I love when gimnasts perform their exercises.

Look for them, I'm sure you have other natural talents or at least, other things you are good at.

Twiggy90

I was a musician. I used to play live a lot (sometimes even twice per week). But it was always a struggle and I was always emberesed by my HH. So basically, anxiety got worse and I don't do this anymore. This and many other things...

April72

I was a musician. I used to play live a lot (sometimes even twice per week). But it was always a struggle and I was always emberesed by my HH. So basically, anxiety got worse and I don't do this anymore. This and many other things...

I'm sorry! What musical intruments did you play?

Last edited:

GhastlyCC

One of my greatest desires in life is to start and sing in a band.
SA obviously gets in the way of this...

BUT
My grandfather was apparently much like me in his younger days(According to my mother. Who believes that he had fairly severe SA) and he was on stage singing every week.
So maybe there's hope?

April72

One of my greatest desires in life is to start and sing in a band.
SA obviously gets in the way of this...

BUT
My grandfather was apparently much like me in his younger days(According to my mother. Who believes that he had fairly severe SA) and he was on stage singing every week.
So maybe there's hope?
Sure! I think there are many músicians, cómics and actors who are, at least, shy. They say it all the time.

Maybe, we can all form a band. Lol!

Deco

I think I would've been a accomplished digital illustrator, painter, concept artist or 3d modeller. Freelancer, teacher in digital art schools... doesn't matter. Or being a generalist would make me happier than I am now, regardless of income.

My SA and some choices in my career led me to settle for jobs in design that were more robotic than creative. Just getting the briefing and doing what my bosses told me and rarely having any creative freedom at all. I should've invested more time and money in my passion for drawing and creating things, but a lot of negative thoughts prevented me from doing so.
I remeber during my childhood and teenage years, others would gather around me for a long time just to watch me drawing.
For a long time I thought that working with architects and retouching pictures would make me happy and give me more money. I was wrong.

Last edited:

Deco

It's a pity that so much creative people can't show what they have bc of fears.
I think that luck plays an important role too. But of course, we have to recognise our own mistakes.
But in many cases, we can still do these things as a hobby. May not help us pay the bills doing something we love, but at least it is a good way of transforming frustration into positive energy.

April72

I think that luck plays an important role too. But of course, we have to recognise our own mistakes.
But in many cases, we can still do these things as a hobby. May not help us pay the bills doing something we love, but at least it is a good way of transforming frustration into positive energy.

Always! We have to enjoy them as a hobby. It's very important to have a space where you can flow.
I'm lucky bc I love music and as a teacher I do enjoy with my kids singing and dancing.

GhastlyCC

Sure! I think there are many músicians, cómics and actors who are, at least, shy. They say it all the time.

Maybe, we can all form a band. Lol!

I actually plan on making a serious effort to start one this year.
I have a few friends who are musicians and I've already kind of put the idea out there and they've said they're interested.
It's pretty much just up to me actually do it now. :shyness:

April72

You can do it, or at least, try it. It doesn't mind failure so much as the satisfaction of fighting for your dreams.
Good luck!