If you want advice from a recovered, perhaps I can help

Overhere

Banned
hi, I consider myself a recovered social phobia sufferer. I only see my psych once every 6 months now, and officially am on 5 mg of Lexapro a day.

I had these conditions, in varying degrees of seriousness:

1. Social anxiety
2. OCD/ Body Dysmorphic
3. PTSD
4. Agoraphobia
5. Dependency/ Avoidance syndrome
6. Panic attacks
7. Depression

If you would like my opinion on the recovery process, one that I believe I am at the tail end of, please write away.

I am only trying to give back and help, tks

Overhere

Emmmmy

That's great :) - I love it when people come on here to help. Or even just to give a story on how they left SA behind them.

I just wondered if you've always had SA or did you acquire it in your teens (e.g triggered by bullying or a house move)

also

What kind of therapy did you have?

Overhere

Banned
hi, thanks for asking.

I have always been very shy, and still am very shy, just that whenever the feelings of shyness come up, my handling mechanisms are much better. One of my most vivid childhood memories is standing in front of the class and red faced and unable to speak, although like many phobics here who are creative and have a great inner life, I wanted to!

It became full blown anxiety due to an absent father and a violent, controlling mother. I think what happened to me amounted to abuse. My parents simply hated me.

Therapy wise, I was inching forward very slowly until I was put on Lexapro, that made all the difference. I also practiced CBT and hunted, like many other people here, for all kinds of solutions. The work from Social Anxiety Institute or Feeling Good Handbook are all good, just that it takes a lot of effort and yes, faith, to do it, which depressed phobics understandably lack both of.

For all people here who feel like shit, just understand that it is always harder when you are in your teens or 20s. Not to say that you won't recover during these times, but just know that when your mind is most creative and keen yet turns on itself, you understandably will suffer more. Also know that, you can feel better if you work with your therapist or meds and take some risks, I think that for our mental illnesses, there is always hope.

Bless.

That's great :) - I love it when people come on here to help. Or even just to give a story on how they left SA behind them.

I just wondered if you've always had SA or did you acquire it in your teens (e.g triggered by bullying or a house move)

also

What kind of therapy did you have?

hi, thanks for asking.

I have always been very shy, and still am very shy, just that whenever the feelings of shyness come up, my handling mechanisms are much better. One of my most vivid childhood memories is standing in front of the class and red faced and unable to speak, although like many phobics here who are creative and have a great inner life, I wanted to!

It became full blown anxiety due to an absent father and a violent, controlling mother. I think what happened to me amounted to abuse. My parents simply hated me.

Therapy wise, I was inching forward very slowly until I was put on Lexapro, that made all the difference. I also practiced CBT and hunted, like many other people here, for all kinds of solutions. The work from Social Anxiety Institute or Feeling Good Handbook are all good, just that it takes a lot of effort and yes, faith, to do it, which depressed phobics understandably lack both of.

For all people here who feel like shit, just understand that it is always harder when you are in your teens or 20s. Not to say that you won't recover during these times, but just know that when your mind is most creative and keen yet turns on itself, you understandably will suffer more. Also know that, you can feel better if you work with your therapist or meds and take some risks, I think that for our mental illnesses, there is always hope.

Bless.

That's great, thanks so much for giving advice! I am also getting better, but it is really slow and I'm trying to figure out if I'll go on meds or not...just wondering what kind of, or any, side effects you got from taking the meds? Did you have to try a few meds before you found one that worked for you? And do you get bad withdrawal symptoms or anything if you miss a dose?
I'm just being paranoid about taking meds, being anxious and all :rolleyes:
Also, what did you take the meds for, is your problem mainly SA? Cos mine is panic attacks and agoraphobia, and also depression, so maybe I would need different meds than you?

Thanks so much for the advice! Much appreciated :D

atvsamala

Hi,

I just want to ask. How long have you been on Lexapro and how long are you going to take it before you get off medication?

Regards,
atvsamala

Overhere

Banned
Slow is ok, kayelle. As trite as it sounds, just moving forward is accomplishment. Sometimes it doesn't seem this way, especially when the feelings are surging, but remember, everytime you give up, you're just postponing your recovery. You know you have to come back to doing the hard work. Keep going, my friend, message me if you need any support.

Side effects, depend from person to person. Some can take some medications, others cannot. I have virtually no side effects from Lexapro, my dream drug. I only took Zoloft before, but it didn't work for me. It made me drowsy, heavy headed and weak. I am now only on 5 mg of Lexapro a day, I don't take it for the anxiety, I take it for a depressive point of view. It helps to keep me on track.

If you have a caring doctor, you should try taking the meds he prescribes. There is no shame or no stigma in taking meds. It's an illness. The thing is depression and anxiety not only feel bad, they warp your point of view. They make it seem, for example, that you can't do things you logically can, and that you can do things you're not qualified for. It's strange, but there it is. I call it 'out of myself'.

Of your symptons, from my limited experience, agoraphobia is dangerous, because being confined and alone will tend to make the other conditions worse. As an illness, of course it can get better or worse. I tend to find myself functioning better if I have a social network and that I have the self esteem from going where I want and do what I want. All these are healthy for recovery. If I were you, I would see how I could go out at least once everyday.

When I broke my agoraphobia, I took buses and trains 9 hours a day, visiting strange new places. Now I can fly to anywhere on the globe on my own, although there are limited triggers, which I cope with using various methods.

Hang in there, kayelle, the situation can be better if you try. If you don't try, you don't suffer the effort, but things will be the same, and for us, that's a bad place to be.

That's great, thanks so much for giving advice! I am also getting better, but it is really slow and I'm trying to figure out if I'll go on meds or not...just wondering what kind of, or any, side effects you got from taking the meds? Did you have to try a few meds before you found one that worked for you? And do you get bad withdrawal symptoms or anything if you miss a dose?
I'm just being paranoid about taking meds, being anxious and all :rolleyes:
Also, what did you take the meds for, is your problem mainly SA? Cos mine is panic attacks and agoraphobia, and also depression, so maybe I would need different meds than you?

Thanks so much for the advice! Much appreciated :D

Overhere

Banned
I have been taking Lexapro for 10 months and have no plans to stop medicating. My post earlier explains why. Drugs have an effect on you beyond stopping anxiety, when they are bad, they are called side effects, when they are good, they are good!

Hi,

I just want to ask. How long have you been on Lexapro and how long are you going to take it before you get off medication?

Regards,
atvsamala

oxygencult

How has recovery from social phobia affected your life thus far? Do share some stories, this is very inspiring.