If the universe is infinite in size...

Masychefx2

Banned
then there would be infinite replicas of our earth

i was watching the universe a while back and they said something along the lines if the universe was infinite in size, then there would be inifinte replicas of earth. Kinda blows my mind

but those other earths the same as ours would be unbeliveably far away

Emily_G

Not necessarily. Even if the universe is infinite, I don't know if it is or not, I've never traveled around the universe :D doesn't mean the whole universe has an infinite number of galaxies like ours and the right conditions for a planet like ours.

market.garden

See for me the thought of there being other life bearing planets is a no brainer, like in our own galaxy alone, there are tens of millions of planets, and tens of millions of galaxies in our local area, and thus billions and billions of stars,planets and solar systems, so for us to be the only ones in the "life zone" between planet and star, is remote. The numbers are just stacked against it.

davidburke

Not necessarily. Even if the universe is infinite, I don't know if it is or not, I've never traveled around the universe :D doesn't mean the whole universe has an infinite number of galaxies like ours and the right conditions for a planet like ours.

if the universe was infinite there would have to be an infinite amounts of earths in every possible combination(that is what it means) eg where dinosaurs still are here, where i am not alive etc.

it would be great if it was cause somewhere out there you are sa free and a president or something:D

market.garden

if the universe was infinite there would have to be an infinite amounts of earths in every possible combination(that is what it means) eg where dinosaurs still are here, where i am not alive etc.

it would be great if it was cause somewhere out there you are sa free and a president or something:D

Like string theory? That stuff makes my head hurt :confused:

market.garden

Cool, thanks for that, I'll try and download it at some point. It's all really interesting, I just wish it made more sense to me :D

davidburke

Cool, thanks for that, I'll try and download it at some point. It's all really interesting, I just wish it made more sense to me :D

think about it this way if you had an infinite amount of randomly shaped rocks you will have to find every shape of rock that is possible somewhere, the same applies for planet eventfully you will have to find another earth somewhere really far away again and again with every possible situation happening somewhere

Last edited:

Emily_G

I think it's all too complicated for simple-minded me.

Luke1993

I personally think there is life out there.....but not intelligent life like us. Planets with creatures on, but not civilised or anything.

market.garden

I personally think there is life out there.....but not intelligent life like us. Planets with creatures on, but not civilised or anything.

Earth is pretty spectacular, but it's only developed like that because its been stable for long enough, so out of the billions of planets, even then the odds of civilized planets existing is significant.

Anyhoo, I heard they think the most likely place in the solar system for life is Jupiter's moon Europa - all on a micro level though but still, pretty awesome