I Would Like Some Advice

IamThisOne

Everytime I go to my therapist I don't know how to start talking. I feel weird just telling about my week because nothing happens. I wish she would just ask me a question, but she doesn't. She just wants me to start talking.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to start talking? It wastes time when I just sit there for a few minutes trying to think of where to start. I guess it's just hard for me.

The 1st therapist I ever went to was exactly like the one you describe. They turned out to be totally useless!
It was only when I found 2 other great therapists that I realised just how pathetic that first one was.

If yours is letting you sit there wasting your time while thinking of something to say and not offering some verbal help to get you started, then maybe you should find a therapist who has a little more insight on how to handle different types of people.:)

panicsurvivor

Thats Strange, all the therapists I have had have always asked me questions right away. If I were you I would tell her what you told us, and maybe ask her to ask you questions right away. I mean right away she should ask you, how do you feel? Then you respond. Then she should ask you another. This seems pretty fundamental to me. When you are counseling someone you need to get them to open up. Maybe you need a different Therapist.

dottie

find a different therapist. don't settle for the first therapist you find if you don't click with them. there are other therapists out there who you may click with. and it is her job to get you talking. wtf. fire her and move on.

coyote

Like Kato said - between your sessions write stuff down that comes up that bothers you that you might want to talk about. Just because you've written it down doesn't mean you have to mention it, but at least you'll have notes to go by.

In general, keeping a journal of your thoughts, feelings, reactions, moods, etc. relating to your issues is a good way to begin working on them no matter what.

When you write it down, you are able to disconnect and look at it and maybe see where it's coming from better than trying to figure it out in your head.

Then - you've got the journal to refer to when you see your therapist.

sanitariumcalls

Yeah, um, you have a dud for a therapist... they're supposed to interact with you as well as listen.

But, in the instance that this is going to be your doc for a while, I suggest going through your day out loud, starting from waking up, and as you go through it, you will come across things you need to talk about (like "I went to the store, and this guy was smirking at me and it makes me mad because...")

Good luck!

spring

therapists have different methods,my own therapist acted the same as yours,i think his porpuse was to make me open up and push myself to talk to him about the issues that were hard for me to talk about
if you feel this sort of therapy doesnt work for you i suggest you change your therapist,maybe another one suits you better