I was jealous of a child today

SadSally

:crying:

So today, I was in a store and a I accidently bumped into a girl aged around 7-10. Anyway, I apologized, but then I started thinking "Why the Hell am I apologizing to her? She's going to go on to live a normal life and I'm still going to be suffering. My apology doesn't mean a damn thing to her."

Then, as I was walking home, two other kids were outside playing and their dog started to bark at me, I screamed with fright and they laughed. I smiled at them out of embarrassment, but then started to have the same thoughts again.

Anyone else feel like this?

I feel like that sometimes. It's important to realize that people are a lot more similar to each other than we might think. You see that little girl and think she's going to have a "normal" life (what does that even mean?), but people look at you and see the same thing.

Odds are pretty good that if you go out to the store, you'll run across a few people with anxiety issues, would you know them if you saw them? Would they know you?

Xion

I feel like that, too sometimes.. I look at my classmates and see that they're going to have all the happiness in the world and I cannot have any kind of happiness

You actually don't know that any child you come across will have a "normal" life.
Everyone has some kind of problems. No ones life is free from turmoil, it just varies for different people.

What is seen as a "normal" life by others, may be hell to live through behind closed doors.

That young girl maybe being sexually abused by her uncle and will end up taking hard drugs in her late teens to dull the horrid memories.

One of the other girls father may beat up her mother on a regular basis, and therefore she may end up accepting being treated like that by a future husband because that is what she grew up with.

Any young male child you may come across and envy may have been ridiculed and physically abused by his mother and end up skipping school, doing armed robbery and selling drugs as a teenager because he received no guidance from his one and only parent.

Even a rich child may go to the best schools money can buy but be so lonely and rejected because they never received the attention they craved from their parents who simply hired a Nanny to raise their children.
No one really has a trouble free life.

Sacrament

There's really no excuse not to be polite. If you bumped into her, it's normal to apologize. She would have done the same.