I Reached Out

tired_of_starting_again

And gave someone a hug.

I was at my twelve-step meeting tonight & an older woman had had a horrible week, totally devoid of any sobriety & recovery. She was shaking & crying & at the end of her share & I (she was sitting next to me) reached over & hugged her & said "It's okay, I've been there before, we are glad you're here."

I have always had trouble showing I cared to people. Like even if my mom is crying I can't ever say it's okay or give her a hug, it's just so hard to be to do that.

But I have been where she's been this last week & we've all walked the same walk so I just went for it.
These meetings are the only social outings I have & I'm still anxious & shy around them but my phobic mind considers them 'safe' you know because we all have the same affliction.

So something small, but a step in the right direction for me. :)

Harleyq

Congrats! I know if it were me, I probably wouldn't have had the nerve to hug her.

Things are looking up. Hopefully things stay that way for you.

typewriterx

That's fabulous! I always run into situations like that, &there's something nice or comforting I think of that I should do, but I never have the courage in me to do it. It's awesome that you did though! That's a great step in the right direction I think; beneficial for you as well as others.

BlackKids

Totally awesome :) and I'm sure she felt much better.

I'd always put myself forward to help others regardless of If I'm feeling horrible. The last person I helped was an women who had a flat tyre. I kinda scarred her as she armed herself with the tyre iron lol