I just realized something about Emotional Security...

Anubis

Remember when you were a little kid and your parents gave you a teddy bear (or another toy) to calm you down? Kinda like this (I remember mine vividly):

istockphoto_4406054-boy-s-first-love-teddy-bear-and-blanket.jpg

SuperStock_1612R-4136.jpg

Some of you may have felt an overwhelming sense of security while hugging your bear. In fact, some of you may have felt SO so secure that you were able to do a lot of brave things while in the presence of your bear. You could, for example, get a flu shot or eat some disgusting vegetable as long as you had that bear wrapped around your arm. Overall, you just felt like you were on top of the world with that teddy bear, even though you were scared ****less for most of your youth.

Now ... flash-forward 5-10 years, and some of us become extremely confident and defiantly take on the world ... for no apparent reason. Others, however, regress and live a life of avoidance. These people report that they never feel a refuge of security so they never feel safe enough to try new things.

MAYBE..and I'm just brain-storming ... the only difference between the confident ones and the scared ones is that the confident ones were somehow able to internalize that "teddy bear" in their adult psyche while the scared ones couldn't. For example, maybe it is so entrenched in their memory that the mere thought of psychological refuge is able to placate them enough to be brave.

I am still thinking about it, lol, but I found it quite interesting that the concept of emotional security may have touched our lives a lot earlier than most of us seem to think.

Edit: Maybe some of us avoidant individuals trade in our bears (or toys) for the computer? I can certainly say I feel a weird calm while using my computer. However, as you know, it is stationary item which restricts movement and doesn't seem to be practical for ushering in refuge while operating in the real world.

Last edited:
Wow... i never thought of that!!
I used to get very upset when i lost toys. Spent years looking for one tiny bear that went missing... I'm still wondering where it went to. I used to get very upset.

Now that im older, I'm just as intensely upset about losing friends, boyfriends and not seeing people for a long time... Maybe theres a link?!!

A_Void_Ant

I used to play with toys a lot as a child and a lot later than most kids. Well into 8th grade I played with action figures still. I always had a special attachment to my toys. I always felt they were alive with me even though I know they really aren't. Even to this day, I can't call any toy I see a bad name like 'stupid' without feeling guilty and telling it sorry in my head. I guess I'm just a freak. I have had toys taken from me and donated to a thrift shop without my permission. Maybe I was mentally traumatized as a kid. Perhaps there is a link to SA and the security toys or other items brought to us as children and how much of this security was embedded into us growing up. I feel I lack this security.

I had a blanket that I used to rub my lip with to calm myself down. It got left at my grandparents' house once (halfway across the country) and I never got it back. I don't think I cried so hard in my life, heh. And that's when I was twelve! I also have a bear (still do :D) that I took in with me when I got a tonsillectomy, the doctor put a gas mask on him and everything for me, and when I woke up he had a bandaid on his neck, haha.

Anyway, that is a really interesting theory, and very possible, I'd think. I still can't go anywhere without a specific piece of cloth in my purse.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I still keep a lot of stuff from my childhood, I still have stuffed animals and I am not planing to get rid of anything. I surround myself with those things and several other objects and I am attached to them like a freak... I would rip anyone's hand off if they dared to mess with my posessions. I am equally attached and protective with my pets and some people. I am like a rabid guard dog when it comes to these things.