I just had ETS

john2223

Everyone:

We are now at day six post surgery. There remains no sweating in my hands for the most part. There's an extremely minimal amount at night, but it is barely noticeable. The foggy feeling in my head has also gone away, and I wonder whether that was attributable to the pain meds that I was given, but stopped taking after two days. Lung capacity is basically normal again, and emotionally I feel good. I have a small amount of upper back pain, most likely due to the surgery, but it is very manageable. Compensatory sweating is not bad, but present.

At this point, it appears that the operation was a success.

Congratulations on a successful operation. Most people get scared off from getting ETS due to all the horror stories they've heard. You did it the right way by researching it and choosing the right surgeon to perform the procedure. I am happy for you.

TxGuy

I am just updating everyone on my progress. My hands remain dry. I have had zero problem issues with compensatory sweating. As some of the other commenters have stated, the key seems to be thoroughly researching who you intend to have the procedure with. I was scared to get it done, but it has changed my life in so many positive ways.

hh_sucks

Thanks for updating. We really appreciate it. Some say it took 1 year to develop CS. Other say 2 to 3 years. Keep updating, TxGuy. Every 3 months is enough.

TxGuy

This is just a quick update. It's been over six months since I had ETS, and the results continue to be good. Prior to the surgery I had dripping wet hands. It was disgusting and horrible. My social anxiety associated with shaking hands is now gone.

I realize that many people have indicated that they don't begin to see compensatory sweating until many years later. I have compensatory sweating now, but it is really mild. Chest, back, legs, feet (feet have always sweated). But it feels more like "normal sweating." I only sweat from my hands marginally. Time will tell. But as of right now, this surgery was a huge success.

I spent months researching and finally went with a very good doctor. Do your research and think carefully before you take the plunge.

decklover

This is just a quick update. It's been over six months since I had ETS, and the results continue to be good. Prior to the surgery I had dripping wet hands. It was disgusting and horrible. My social anxiety associated with shaking hands is now gone.

I realize that many people have indicated that they don't begin to see compensatory sweating until many years later. I have compensatory sweating now, but it is really mild. Chest, back, legs, feet (feet have always sweated). But it feels more like "normal sweating." I only sweat from my hands marginally. Time will tell. But as of right now, this surgery was a huge success.

I spent months researching and finally went with a very good doctor. Do your research and think carefully before you take the plunge.

It's great to see that you're doing well, TXGuy!
Any pain you're experiencing or discomfort? I really need this surgery, too. Appreciate your responses!

CharlesN

Think Positive! Hopefully it will last and you are a lucky one. I think we hear about the horror stories more because those are the ones likely to remain in the HH community. The ones without issue likely move on with their lives. Few have the courtesy to provide updates after a "cure". Good on ya.

hh_sucks

@TxGuy Thanks for the update. When you say leg, is it thigh, shin, or calf area? Also, what about your groin and butt area?

Last edited:

TxGuy

Decklover, I have not had any pain since recovering. Granted, the first few days after the surgery were painful. However, I got back into stride rather quickly thereafter.

HH_sucks, the sweat is on the thigh and calf. Some within the groin. But it is not drippy sweat, and is more typically brought on by physical activity. Otherwise, I would regard it as rather normal. My back sweats when I am in nervous situations, but even that is not terrible. I have always wore an undershirt my whole life. Never had back sweat before the surgery unless with vigorous exercise. As I have indicated in other posts, on par the compensatory sweating is very mild. I tend to attribute to the fact that (1) my feet still sweat, largely like they did before; and (2) the amount of sweat that used to be produced by my hands is now being distributed throughout other parts of my body. My hands always were dripping wet, but they are a small surface area comparative to my back. That's my non-scientific thoughts on the matter. :bigsmile:

Charles, I agree with you. There are probably a good many individuals who have had success with the surgery. However, I feel it's important to post so people can follow my progress. To be sure, everyone is different. Nonetheless, I think that if you choose the right surgeon, you have a better shot at good results.

I will post again in a 3 or more months on how I am doing!

TxGuy

Everyone,

I am now about 9 1/2 mos post ETS. Things continue to go well. The compensatory sweating is not bad. I sweat from my head still. No goosebumps, though. My hands even perspire minimally, but it is not constant dripping wetness. It feels normal. My feet have always sweated bad, and that continues. But I just wear socks.

I will post again at the year mark. ETS is a personal decision. Most people who get the surgery and find success tend to just move on and forget about forums like this. I will continue to offer my perspectives for everyone.

Sprawling

It's great that you are following through with the updates. It's always good to hear when one feels more normal outside of HH.

tiago1995

Everyone,

I am now about 9 1/2 mos post ETS. Things continue to go well. The compensatory sweating is not bad. I sweat from my head still. No goosebumps, though. My hands even perspire minimally, but it is not constant dripping wetness. It feels normal. My feet have always sweated bad, and that continues. But I just wear socks.

I will post again at the year mark. ETS is a personal decision. Most people who get the surgery and find success tend to just move on and forget about forums like this. I will continue to offer my perspectives for everyone.

By saying no goosebumps do you mean that your hairs won't straight up in situations of fear/arousal? Or are you talking about goosebumps in another way, as in when you get chills from being out in the cold, for example?

I know it may sound like a stupid question, but everything about this surgery and the effect it has on the body makes me very curious.
Also, do you guys believe there is any relevance as to what age you get ETS done? Right now I'm only 20 and have been postponing it for years from feeling so insecure about it.

Last edited:

TxGuy

When I say no goosebumps, I mean no goosebumps. Not as a result of fear or cold. I still feel the sensation, but there is no physical manifestation of them.

I cannot speak to age. I had the procedure done when I was 35. I have had terrible palmar hyperhidrosis since I was a child.

I hope this helps.

TxGuy

It has been almost a year since my last post. I had ETS done in October 2014. Still, so far so good. I realize that many people have horror stories to tell about how ETS has ruined their life. Believe me, I sympathize with these individuals. But I do think that there are some successful cases out there. If all ETS surgeries ended up bad, we would see thousands of negative reviews about the operation.

I remain hopeful that things will stay as they are. My hands are dry, but not overly dry. My feet still sweat, but I can deal with that. And the compensatory sweating is not terribly bad.

I will continue to post intermittently to let everyone know about my continued progress.

If you are considering ETS, please make sure that you screen your doctor very carefully and that you make a fully informed decision. I was scared too. But having ETS--at least so far--was one of the best decisions of my life.

TxGuy

I wanted to post a status update. It's now been about 2.5 years since I had ETS. The procedure continues to be a good success and one of the best decisions I ever made. My hands are dry, but not overly so. I sweat above the nipple. No bad side effect sweating either.

As I have posted before, ETS is a personal decision. You need to choose your doctor very, very wisely.

Best to everyone!

tiago1995

I wanted to post a status update. It's now been about 2.5 years since I had ETS. The procedure continues to be a good success and one of the best decisions I ever made. My hands are dry, but not overly so. I sweat above the nipple. No bad side effect sweating either.

As I have posted before, ETS is a personal decision. You need to choose your doctor very, very wisely.

Best to everyone!

Do you have anything new to report? It's good to know that you had a good experience with ETS. I'll be getting my surgery this year. My doctor said he's doing T3 on both sides, but I could also get only T4 done if I wanted to. He's more used to doing T3 though so I'll probably just stick with that.

TxGuy

It has been almost three years now since the surgery and everything is still the same. No horror stories. No overly dry hands. I still sweat above the nipple. Compensatory sweating is not bad. (I sweat more now from my back, but it is not "drippy sweat"). It was one of the best decisions of my life. I am a professional and am required to shake people's hands often. No more phobia and shame associated with it.

I really do want to caution, though, that you should do your due diligence into the doctor who will be performing the surgery. One surgeon was willing to do the surgery purely based on a phone consultation. That was a red flag for me.

I ended up going with an accomplished doctor at a very well known hospital (I cannot share the name publicly per the moderator, send me a PM). And my insurance paid for it! They were billed 50K by the hospital. My out of pocket was under 3k.

Last edited: