I haven't told my parents

squidgee

How do I approach my parents about my mental condition? Its clear that they are completely oblivious to what's going on. I've never even had a proper diagnosis and I don't even know if I actually have social anxiety or not, I only assume so because I relate to many of the listed symptoms.

I understand they're going through some financial troubles and the last thing I want to do is burden them with this as well. I'm also concerned about the reaction they'll get, how people will perceive me afterwards. I feel useless just sitting here and I really want to get better, but I'm also reluctant because I don't feel I'm prepared for all the changes if I finally just let it all out. Do any of you have any suggestions as to how I can open up a bit? I just feel extremely uncomfortable talking about all this 'mushy' stuff.

MikeyC

My parents found out by accident when my mum stumbled across my doctor's diagnosis. That was really scary having to tell them, but I had no choice. They were both pretty okay with it, but I could tell my mum especially was a little worried, and she still is.

I say just get it out there. You will feel a lot more unburdened by it when your parents know exactly what's going on with you. They might even be very supportive, and if they're not, they're being very bad parents. There's no easy or round-about way of revealing this kind of information, so just telling them that you've got something to say and letting loose is the best kind of conveyance. I am positive you'll feel better getting it off your chest.

Good luck!

squidgee

My parents found out by accident when my mum stumbled across my doctor's diagnosis. That was really scary having to tell them, but I had no choice. They were both pretty okay with it, but I could tell my mum especially was a little worried, and she still is.

I say just get it out there. You will feel a lot more unburdened by it when your parents know exactly what's going on with you. They might even be very supportive, and if they're not, they're being very bad parents. There's no easy or round-about way of revealing this kind of information, so just telling them that you've got something to say and letting loose is the best kind of conveyance. I am positive you'll feel better getting it off your chest.

Good luck!

Maybe I could sort of indirectly tell them, maybe leave a note on my mum's desk or something, but that would still end up in an uncomfortable one-on-one conversation.

Ugh, I guess you're right, I don't see any way around it. I'll just have to man up and tell them. I'll try and do it during the holidays when I'm not buried deep in schoolwork and exams.