I haven't talked to a friend in 5 years should I call him?

kotulakj2

I had this friend in high school and it felt as those we were pretty close even though I rarely hung out with him since I was introverted. We were both on the cross country team is why I said it felt like we were close. Well 5 years have gone by since I have talked to this person and I'm kind of fearful to call him now and talk to him. Thing is we didn't have any kind of a fall out, it's just I stopped talking to him because he went off to college and because I'm quiet and introverted it just felt when he was home it would be embarrassing to let him know I've not kept consistent contact with him. I feel if I call him now it will be kind of awkward but at the same time I feel the only way for me to get out more in order to be received better by more people is to try and reestablish a long lost friendship. I know people on here have said they have had falling outs with friends, but has anyone regained a friendship with someone else after not talking to them for so long? Do you think this person will accept me back if I took the initiative?

HHDisturbed

Hi Kotulakj2. This is actually a fairly common thing that happens when friends graduate HS and either one or both go away to college. Lives change and people go in different directions with new priorities and responsibilities. Unfortunately sometimes relationships fade when so much time has passed.

It might be a little awkward when you first contact him just because it has been so long. I am sure that he probably feels exactly the same but would be very happy to hear from you. So yes...if you miss your friend I would certainly call and say hi. If the conversation goes well then maybe offer to get together some time to catch up on the last 5 years.

Best wishes on rekindling your friendship!

Last edited:

MikeyC

Hi Kotulakj2. This is actually a fairly common thing that happens when friends graduate HS and either one or both go away to college. Lives change and people go in different directions with new priorities and responsibilities. Unfortunately sometimes relationships fade when so much time has passed.
Yeah, pretty much this. In school you're forced to be together for whatever reason, but outside of school is a whole new ballgame.

I say that you've got nothing to lose to get in contact with him. Go for it. :thumbup: