hear what you are saying
5) All the women dress really slutty
6) Most of the men just want to find some girl to have sex with
7) Friends always run off and leave you alone
8) Everyone looks like they could be someone you hated in high school
9) Everyone is really fake
10) The only thing everyone else wants to do is go to the bar :!:

Jess333

What IS good about bars? If you saw this, you might enjoy them.

Yes, they're smoky and dirty and meat markets, but if I totally elmiinated going to bars, I wouldn't see some of the best shows I"ve ever seen...some of the best musical artists. I live in Portland, Oregon (the second seattle) home of the "shows" and bands.

sickgirl

Oh i was not talking about bars with live music, i love live music. I mean the ones that play crappy pop music.

Anonymous

i totally agree with you.. i can not understad why people go there.. To talk? to dance?.. i look people how they enjoy, but i can not..

This is same how you feel but opposite, because all the girls wants you get them.. You must have max energy, i dont know you must have something that i know i never had! I know some girls like me then they invite me to the bar or disco and all i lost :=)

i like music so much, i am the one compose music and everythink.. people dans with my music but i shy... No way out..

Anonymous

I'm studying to join the Bar, and I was thinking that this was the "Bar" to which you were referring.

Richey

sickgirl said:
Because:

1) It plays only sleazy radio music
2) Everyone is drinking
3) People always try to make you dance
4) You cannot talk to anyone without shouting, and then everyone can
hear what you are saying

SPOT ON THE MONEY!

i personally do not enjoy clubs at all, i do enjoy seeing live bands though.

i agree with the above analysis, every last one of those is so true, at the same time i respect that some people enjoy clubs, particularly those enjoy dancing and boozing while flaunting it, thats not my scene by any stretch, it all seems very high school teen moive when i go to clubs, i see girls who wear next to nothing only picking up on the tall guys ,and the music is usually horrid and commercial.

also there are decent pubs out there, like the sorts where you can sit down and its not overly crowded

pubs/clubs are seen as a must in modern society young culture, and the only reason i used to frequent them was because its what i was being told by society and peer pressure, but i found it an awful experiance to be honest, especially on weekends when you have to hurdle over crowds of people to find the bar to purchase a pint of beer.

i couldnt wait to get out of there, and i recall my friends wanting to always stay until it closed, and if i ever left early it was seen as "wussing out" .....

they were also into "picking up" a different partner each week ...and i just found it so terribly forced and too much to handle, sitting there talking to friends one minute then they are off groping a girl in the corner .......

i just found it odd, and not a place i felt comfortable in

i just found it to be unenjoyable.

there are many ways to meet people, for instance by playing sports, your job, hobbies, frequenting a museum or through study institutions.

frizboy

Hehe, I'm not of legal age quite yet, but I've been to a friend of mine's parents' bar. I will say that almost all the stereotypes posters have mentioned were there. But, that doesn't mean shit! Bring a bunch of your own friends, make it "the counterculture club" for best effect, and have a ball introducing a little anarchy. I just love the idea of throwing vanilla and, well, whatever spice counterculture is, together.

Kinetik

I think it depends what kind of bar you go to and what you're expecting of the night itself. Loud, flashy bars such as the one sickgirl describes really rub me the wrong way, and if you're fixated on meeting someone at a superficial place like that, well, good luck. On the other hand, if you just want to go for a drink with someone and can find a nice, cushy place with relaxing music and a pleasant atmosphere, you're good. In those instances, a bar can be really enjoyable. That's why I'm into the more mellow places.

frizboy

I think Kinetik is onto something here. I was at a bar in my hometown a few years back (hard to believe, I know, because I'm not even 21 now... I credit my then Hagrid-like beard) with what I guess you'd call "mod" furnishings and ever modder patrons. I don't happen to like mod. I do happen to like the way mod people converse though... which is very low. Every table might as well have been a confessional. If I were less nervous, I would have probably had some nice conversations. I guess I just didn't feel much at ease disturbing any one of the little worlds I observed.

Power_Bog

There's a lot variety in bars... some are mini-clubs with really loud music, some are more like laid back coffee shops with beer instead of coffee

Richey

Number1usjoe said:
I agree with most of your points.

However it is true men women go to places like this to drink and have casual sex. If thats not your thing then fine but dont condem us for enjoying our lives.

Drinking and parting and getting laid is what puts a smile on my normaly shy poor existance.

When I was on klonopin I went out and talked to so many people I was happy to break the award silence and some people do not mind talking to stranger.

If I needed a group of friends to have all eyes on me and make me feel special just to have a good time I would never go out.

Its true the well adjusted types are anoying fake and cruel.

your right, people shouldnt be condemed for enjoying clubbing, especially if you love dancing and getting laid, and you might be the sort of person who enjoys doing that, its not my thing to go out and have casual sex with strangers, because i think its shallow and not really a fun experiance.

i just think its MEGA cliched in our culture for that to be the STANDARD action of a young person, i know my cousins talk about it alot, and i dont see the point or its purpose, of it being the primary being for existance on the weekends, to me it shows a lack of depth and thought to place it so high on a pedestal of importance.

you as an individual need to decide what you want, and if that means walking down the beach with a bottle wine on a friday night and watching the water, reading a book, seeing a film with a friend, repairing a stereo, joinging a 50's swing dancing class, seeing a live band.

As long as your keeping active, thats whats important here, its not so much the activity, because its none of my business what you choose to enjoy for recreation, everyone has the freedom to make those choices.

this whole, "if your not out drinking at a pub on a friday, then your uncool" rubbish that people seem to have in their heads in this generation, is royal balony.

if i choose to stay home and work, its really nobodys business, i thnk the main issue is "Interaction" ...which you get anywhere you choose as long as it involves your friends or people to open up to, so its important to people in your life, the whole "going to a pub" is peripheral, if your not a drinker then its even more reason for pubs to have little meaning.

you can meet people anywhere these days, even at sports clubs, university, work, in public, anywhere

thats not to say i dont want to experiance "sex" often..its just that i rather it be with someone ive known for a while and im close to , not a throw away endevour after sinking down a few vodka shots is all.

Richey

definately!! but im not wired for one night stands and getting people laid, i just think its shallow and not my idea of fun, most clubs unless its a live band playing are just not my thing, as soon as i walk in its like enterring a war zone and i become paranoid quite easily, there have been many occasions where i only stay an hour at best before i run home because its such an intense atmosphere in those places, but there are good people in there, im not saying people shouldnt go to McDonalds pubs, but when its expected of you as a young person rather then it being a choice, and people get all preachy about partying, thats when i become diss-interested and i couldnt give a shit! about people who would judge you based on how often you go to these places.\

there is an element of resentmant in the air with me and pubs, for some reason because ive had experiences with friends drooling over them like they are the most important thing since sliced bread and jamming it down my throat "We have to go to this pub" ...."If you dont come to this pub ill never talk to you again" .......and parents saying "All young people drink and go clubbing these days, why dont you do it every weekend"

well im sorry but i dont place them in such high regard after going out to clubs when i was younger, i found them primarily for people who wanted attention or wanted to find someone to sleep with or loved to drink, the music they play is commercial drivel, and if your a shy person who is known to be insecure like myself its not really a place to boost confidence, because alot of the time its girls & guys who are dolled up and are looking to score or dance, and that isnt my thing, its a clash of cocky egos all crammed in so you cant walk freely to the bar, its so loud that you have to shout to make conversation.

The best times i ever had at clubs was walking outside of the joint and talking to a friend in peace.

But ive had some great times seeing bands over the years at festivals and music halls, thats more to my liking i think.

samana

sickgirl said:
Because:

1) It plays only sleazy radio music
2) Everyone is drinking
3) People always try to make you dance
4) You cannot talk to anyone without shouting, and then everyone can
hear what you are saying

This post put a smile on my face honestly, since lately I've been angry that this is all my roommates seem to enjoy doing. Or perhaps its all they think they enjoy doing? Either way, I feel frustrated because I'd like to hang out more, but I don't enjoy the bar or clubbing unless its a casual bar where you don't have to yell etc. On the other hand, I know many extremely deep people who enjoy this as a sort of release or distraction in a sense, and I respect them for that, and don't count them in with the 'fakes', though I know equally as many that are fakes that go too. :roll: And then there's people like us who go too, out of peer pressure, and might appear fake to other people like us, lol. I just don't go. I've found other things much more enjoyable than this.

moodygoo

I think you've all summed up why clubs generally suck and it strikes me that a lot of your reasons aren't even due to shyness.
I don't really get that shy when I'm drunk and realise I'm surrounded by people I don't know or respect (judgemental I know but when I've act like a pissed slut I feel disgusted with myself for days).
Aside from the lack of any actual appeal to going clubbing I find the experience incredibly lonely. A smith's lryic "take me out tonight cos I want to see people and I want to see life" seems to sum up why I go. Then I get there and can't even begin to understand these people. This is their release after working all week? This is how they connect with people?
And from there on it all gets pretty depressing.

However small pubs where you can talk, live music, festivals etc are all good in my book.
Its become a real search to find a decent bit of culture.. but then again what do I know hiding at home most of the time. Bored but cosy.

Ironically I'm going out tonight...