I hate going outside because of how i walk !

Marie19

I am new btw ! Whenever I go out i immediately start walking different like I don't have control over my legs . People start staring and I know its all because of my anxiety ! But I hate it and because of that I only go out when I really need too . I am also tall ( 5'8 ) So thats even worse because people notice me more . Does anyone have a similar problem ? And can anyone suggest a way for me to walk like a normal person ? if that makes sense. . .

Thank you.

lithium

I also have this problem sometimes. Whenever I walk in front of a large group of people, I can feel myself walking differently. Some people have even remarked that I waddle to some degree. In my opinion, 5'8 is around average height, not tall. Tall I would say would be from 5'10-6'0.

sullyS1985

Ive never had anyone say anything to me about it but when im really anxious and around a karge group of people, like on campus i experience this pretty bad and it is no fun. I try and think about something else but it is difficult. maybe deep breaths?

I'm 5"0 and ive been teased about the way i walk too.
For F**ks Sake! We're only walking...
Do you know how STUPID it sounds that somebody's slagging your walk?!
People need to grow up and get over themselves....
You could do what i do and say you were born with a leg problem..
Technically i was and it could be the reason i walk werird but i d'nno!

haha, i hate that awkward walking feeling, and sometimes i dont know what to do with my facial expression either, ugh i hate it.

Ditto... Apparently you're meant to smile (i gathered that 'cos numerous people have passed me on the street and said "smile!"..... ugh "mind yer own business!!!")

Imagine walking down the street smiling. People will think youre a psycho then!!

Harleyq

..sometimes. Not all the time but I feel like I walk funny sometimes when I'm nervous - I also worry that I stagger like a drunk person, lol. Sometime I wonder if I'm walking straight.

Imagine walking down the street smiling. People will think youre a psycho then!!

Urgh - that reminds me of one time in highschool I was walking to class and thinking to myself. I was in a really good mood and was smiling without realizing it. Suddenly, some girl from my class goes "Why are you smiling so much?" and she said it in a "you're weird" tone, not just a casually curious tone.

Last edited:

Marie19

Thank you everyone! I feel a little better knowing I am not the only one that walks different ! & I also get nervous in crowds and thats the main reason for the walking issue . . . But if i could walk normal I would love going out everyday but I don't because of that. It just feels embarrassing and I never get where I need to go.

Urgh - that reminds me of one time in highschool I was walking to class and thinking to myself. I was in a really good mood and was smiling without realizing it. Suddenly, some girl from my class goes "Why are you smiling so much?" and she said it in a "you're weird" tone, not just a casually curious tone.

Thus ruining your good mood i presume?! :eek:
People will find a way to put people down no matter what they do.. Its stupid and immature, but the world's a cruel place..

*sigh* There's no pleasing people...

I am new btw ! Whenever I go out i immediately start walking different like I don't have control over my legs . People start staring and I know its all because of my anxiety ! But I hate it and because of that I only go out when I really need too . I am also tall ( 5'8 ) So thats even worse because people notice me more . Does anyone have a similar problem ? And can anyone suggest a way for me to walk like a normal person ? if that makes sense. . .

Thank you.

Yea sometimes I get self-conscious about the way I walk too. Im not sure if I ever walk "weird" but its possible, and I certainly feel like its weird.

Thank you everyone! I feel a little better knowing I am not the only one that walks different ! & I also get nervous in crowds and thats the main reason for the walking issue . . . But if i could walk normal I would love going out everyday but I don't because of that. It just feels embarrassing and I never get where I need to go.

I feel your pain... I have to distract myself and others attention from me by putting headphones on or pretending to be on the phone. Not good when someone calls or texts you . . . . xD

I've been told i walk like a high school kid.

Then again, It would be boring if everybody walked the same way. I think ur unique gait makes you stand out and recognizable in a good way.

Plus, people are busy about their own little lives and they don't really care, do they?

agoraphobickatie

haha.. ohh highschool! i remember when i changed from private to HUGE crazy overpopulated public school! haha.. one time during class no one was really on the 'main hall' (huge) and i was walking to the bathroom or nurse's office (my favorite get-away) and i was just kind of walking looking ahead of me at the floor, not necessarily with my head pointed down, i just wasn't looking up.. i passed this huge gangster football player dude and he says to me "don't eva watch the floor, gurl! keep yo eyes up and aware!" like he was trying to give me defense/fighting tips or something, lmao... i just laughed, but i have never watched the ground ahead of me since then! hahaha... when i'm 'normal' aka not agoraphobic, i'm a pretty chill person, i usually just walk around and if someone looks at me or sees me look at them, i just do the smile... or if i'm feeling especially fab, i'll smirk, haha :)

as far as feeling like you're walking funny, maybe try focusing on absolutely ANYTHING but your movement... if you're not focused on it, then it just falls naturally.. think about nothing at all but your breathing pattern.. in your nose and barely open your mouth to exhale out of your mouth... idk, that's one of the reasons for my 'breathe' tattoo on my wrist, lol.. when i'm anxious or can't clear my head, i try to think of NOTHING but the way i'm breathing, the way it sounds, feels, etc... usually helps a little :)