i hate being the center of attention

Sinar_Matahari

This depends...Normally, I would hate being at the center of attention, but if I'm around people I know well and am comfortable around, I'm fine. As far as being in the company of strangers, I don't mind being at the center of the attention if I feel at ease around them. Having a drink or two may help in just about any situation. Walking down the street, passing crowded cafés and bars and having people stare at me is something that makes me rather anxious. That and walking past people who are looking at me. Not to make this into a sob story, but I recognize that this is a result of being bullied. As a child I learned that being at the center of attention meant that people were going to be cruel. No, I'm not saying that all people are cruel. Yet, when you're a child it's not that easy to realize when that's what you've gotten used to. It's true that early childhood is a critical period in a child's development. My experiences during adolescence only strengthened the belief that people were going to torment or ostracize me. Thankfully, I see things more clearly and I realize that people aren't all as bad as I thought. However, it's the feeling that I cannot shake. My rational mind tells me that it's okay and even desirable to be at the center of attention, but my discomfort is so deeply ingrained that it seems almost indelible. I don't believe that it is indelible. I may seem naive, but I can't allow myself to believe that things cannot be better, that I don't have a choice or say in the matter.

Last edited:

quietkiwi

Yeah I hate it, especially if asked to talk in front of people in a group, I'm ok to begin with but the more I feel the focus is on me the worse I get, start to get tounge tied if theres not much going on in the background, silence and focus on me is the worst, usually only happens around people I don't know well but I've had it happen around friends and family.

CHAKRAPOINT

Definately happens to me,even with friends and family.it gets to the point where im so focused on how other people are seeing and looking at me,looking for signs of disagreement to my personality,that i cant even think straight and lose my train of thought.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Yes very much. Sometimes I'll be mid-sentence and realize everyone is listening to me and totally freak out.