I give up

Earthcircle

I have been trying to achieve mental health ever since I was 15, and with very little success. My OCD finally went about 20 years ago, but that happened very quickly. Reading Edna Foa's book on OCD pretty much wiped it out overnight. But that is the only success I can report. I turn 50 in a few days, and I feel I have the right to give up. I can just accept the fact that I am mentally ill, but it is difficult to live in a world where I am perceived so negatively.

S_Spartan

I have been trying to achieve mental health ever since I was 15, and with very little success. My OCD finally went about 20 years ago, but that happened very quickly. Reading Edna Foa's book on OCD pretty much wiped it out overnight. But that is the only success I can report. I turn 50 in a few days, and I feel I have the right to give up. I can just accept the fact that I am mentally ill, but it is difficult to live in a world where I am perceived so negatively.

I hear ya Earth. I've kinda made a resolution this year to be more accepting of where I am right now. I'm in my early 40s so not too far behind you.

Anyway, I've struggled for years and years. Years of depression, anger and anxiety trying to make things "right". Years of struggling with trying to relate with people only to have relationships turn into a steaming piles of cr@p!
So I started to wonder what would happen if I stopped struggling and just accepted things as they are. Sort of let the chips fall where they may but keep doing the few things that I know work somewhat and try to forget about the rest.

Earthcircle

In a way, I'm saying I should channel more energy into things which I know have some chance of success, instead of pouring so much energy into trying to be mentally healthy. I think I could have written more books, for example, if I'd given up on mental health, say, 20 years ago.

Diend

i am under the impression that mental health can be fixed and should be. i've never considered giving up. it's a lose lose situation.

You just haven't been doing the right things. Keep trying man it can always get better.

Last edited:

Earthcircle

I think someone deleted a post that I read last night. Anyway they were mentioning meditation and spiritual things. In fact, that was the first thing I tried. I considered myself a Zen Buddhist in my early teens, and took some abuse for it in the evangelical environment in which I was living. Meditation helps one feel better, just like a massage or a nice meal helps one feel better. For a short while. I don't think it makes me more social.

Aylaa

In a way, I'm saying I should channel more energy into things which I know have some chance of success, instead of pouring so much energy into trying to be mentally healthy. I think I could have written more books, for example, if I'd given up on mental health, say, 20 years ago.

You should. Actually I think that might help your anxiety and depression more than anything else, if you accomplish things. So what you're good at abs what you want to do!

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
"O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a
king of infinite space—were it not that I have bad dreams."

Good luck giving up, I've never been able to do it... despite my best efforts.

bsammy

i am under the impression that mental health can be fixed and should be. i've never considered giving up. it's a lose lose situation.

very much depends on what mental health issues we are talking about..if it is mild depression or anxiety, then by all means, dont give up but if you are truly neurotic or suffer from borderline pd, then odds are fighting against it will only lead to added frustration..

greggy

I see the buddist munks here in london singing and dancing in the streets, honestly they look like the most trully happy people i've ever seen! Personally i was at the point of giving up a little while back, then desided to run every day, and honestly there is no drug like endorphins, after a good 2 mile run i cone back so happy. So it's just a case of finding a way to be happy, dont give up friend

ImNotMyIllness

If you have any will left to live, I would recommend working in the mental health field or social services. At least this way you would be helping people like yourself.

bsammy

I see the buddist munks here in london singing and dancing in the streets, honestly they look like the most trully happy people i've ever seen! Personally i was at the point of giving up a little while back, then desided to run every day, and honestly there is no drug like endorphins, after a good 2 mile run i cone back so happy. So it's just a case of finding a way to be happy, dont give up friend

i exercise every day too but sadly those endorphins wear off and the u are back to normal..

Earthcircle

very much depends on what mental health issues we are talking about..if it is mild depression or anxiety, then by all means, dont give up but if you are truly neurotic or suffer from borderline pd, then odds are fighting against it will only lead to added frustration..

I suspect I am schizoid. In fact, I was once diagnosed as schizoid, so I could just say I was diagnosed and leave it at that. The only reason I hesitate is that I've gotten lots of diagnoses and some of them were outrageous, blatantly false. This undermined my confidence in psychiatrists' diagnoses. On the other hand, schizoid personality makes a lot of sense, and it's considered pretty much incurable ....

Earthcircle

If you have any will left to live, I would recommend working in the mental health field or social services. At least this way you would be helping people like yourself.

I'm an academic. I prefer not to do what you describe, partly because I am too engrossed in what I currently do and partly because I don't think I am the best people person.

ImNotMyIllness

I am too engrossed in what I currently do

:question: Maybe things aren't so bad after all then? Who cares what the world thinks of you, the world is at war with itself anyway. Just focus on those that do care.

........That being said, I don't know if your mental illnesses impairs your ability to function-Unfortunately that's where I'm at but I'm trying to turn things around.