I found something out today I didn't know...

bigrob

I stopped by and saw my parents. I was talking to my dad about how I've been feeling and how I was wanting to go to therapy, and he mentioned that it runs in the family.

Me: :confused:

I knew my sister has anxiety problems, but he said he doesn't like people either (I was unaware) and that his aunt (my great aunt?) was so bad she didn't leave the house the last dozen or so years of her life.

Come to think of it, my dads brother (my uncle) is a recluse. No one ever really hears from him even though there is no bad feelings anywhere...he's just doing his own thing.

So apparently my problem runs in my family on my fathers side.

So the cause could be genetic from your dad? Might be.
My mom had SA too, and my grandma likes to be homebound more then doing social stuff. So for me it could be genetic from my mother.
But i'm not sure. I've been bullied too.
But it's good to discover why you got sa! It's always good to know the answers.

bigrob

Yes, but please don't blame anyone for it! :)

I'm not blaming.

I just always felt like the family freak, now I know I come from a family of freaks.

wait....what?!?!?!?

(not meant to offend....it was an attempt at self-deprecating humor)

I think my father was also very shy as a teenager...But he overcame it and is now the loudest, most obnoxious person ever. He is the kind of person who will chat any random stranger in the street just because he is bored.

I definitely don't want to become like him, but it gives me hope seeing how different he is now than he was in the past.

lunarla

Do you find it kind of relieving to know? I did a little bit. For certain things.

Depression and anxiety run on both sides annnnnd same with suicide, lol. Oh, and alcoholism on my dad's side.

Eam

Do you find it kind of relieving to know? I did a little bit. For certain things.

Depression and anxiety run on both sides annnnnd same with suicide, lol. Oh, and alcoholism on my dad's side.

Yeah this is something I ponder. Knowing my family has a history of severe depression and knowing the life experiences and other things they've been through actually makes me more worried about the future.

Ignorance is bliss? Or will it makes us more prepared, introspective and ready to seek help?

bigrob

Yeah I did.

Like I said, I realized it wasn't just me. I always felt like the oddball and that I let my parents down....now I now it's a hereditary issue.

The difference is whereas some of the family succumbed to it, and others "dealt with it", I'm going to try and do something about it and beat it.

Lorraine Manca

i was extremely relieved when i found out it was genes. i didnt realize till i was a teenager that my dads family was reclusive, because i never saw any of them more than twice and didnt keep in touch. i knew there was bipolar and depression on my mothers side, but it didnt explain why i was so uncomfortable with people. i was so relieved and decided not to bother fighting something so innate. i know that sounds awful but it felt really healthy to accept it. i know alot of people on this site feel guilty or responsible for their head problem. that just piles one problem on another