I don't want to spend most of my life working?

Tomasso

Work for 5 days, only get 2 off.

Only 4 weeks of vacation a year.

I should have become a teacher instead of doing finance.

What is the point.

I want to move to Italy or Spain and just be a bum, lie on the beach, collect a welfare check and be lazy.

I have worked hard to get myself a job after graduation but I know I will hate it - I want free time, not money.

My dream life is a life where I can be lazy and hang out with my girlfriend forever. A world where I don't have to think about bills, studying, getting to work on time.

We have our priorities screwed up I feel.

Richey

Teaching is great for time off, no doubt, well not just that, perhaps admin at a school or uni, they would alslo be off for the holiday periods.

Another option is to find a place that is flexible with hours. As in they are happy to have you on full time and don't mind it when you want to take holidays, sometimes unpaid, but its time off for you, if they have softer seasons. So that would be more in a Trade type job. This is often the best field to work in for relaxing and taking time off.

Retail and Hospitality are all year long with little breaks.

corporate, IT, Finance etc is all by the book. You work up your leave wait in line for your chance. The plus is that the job has a bit more comfort then alot of others types. You sit at a computer and its more inside the head pain then physical pain from working hard.

Nothing wrong with complaining about little time off. Its one of the struggles of being an adult is realising that you dont get many chances to take time off. But really if you plan it out you can take time off in patches. Perhaps a day off every 2-3 weeks or whenever. You can make it work for you.

Really time goes quick so make sure you take holidays when needed.

I know quite a few people who run online companies or from home free lance design, that is another way of you managing your own time. Sub contracting as a gardener (or anything you want) is another option.

Last edited:

gustavofring

This is cliché advice, but get a job you love doing/that you believe in so that it doesn't feel so tedious. Or try to make your current job not so tedious by taking a different, more positive approach.

Everyone has to work eventually. Even the lousy bums on a beach have to pay bills or they will get homeless. Also don't forget, having no job isn't that great. Eventually boredom will set in and you will feel useless/parasitic. Social status also goes down.

A86

time is an expensive commodity these days.
long gone are the norms of a family living of 1 paycheck to buy a house, pay bills, and feed 5 to 10 kids. its amusing that 3 kids is considered a large family now.
its a lot harder for someone to be independent by themselves. probably why its not uncommon to find single people residing with their parents 10 years longer than 'expected'.

anyway... point is the cost of living is increaseing pretty fast, so we are forced to spend a lot of our time working. unless some luck puts in a better position, the trick is not how much you earn, but how you spend.
its too easy to want things you don't need which in turn forces you to keep working those hours.