I Don't Especially Know Which Sub-Forum This Belongs In

MMGiru

So... 'hello', I suppose. I made an account some years ago, and very quickly stopped using it. Probably fair to assume I said something embarrassing and ran to hide shortly afterwords; I'm not going to check.

Anyway: I thought it might be interesting to actually make use of this forum, given my account is, in fact, a thing. Essentially, I don't get out. I'm not a complete agoraphobic though. I do actually go out every other week (for counseling) and I've started biking recently. I talk to a couple people online, and occasionally see the one friend within a hundred miles of me in person.

More important than sociality -- and more on the topic of this thread -- is my not having ever had a job before. I've just recently passed 21 here, and my complete lack of work ethic, social tolerance, useful knowledge, and work experience is something of an issue. I basically don't have any planned future ahead of me. For a while, my plan was something like 'avoid getting kicked out of the house as long as possible and then proceed to die of starvation in a ditch', but I don't know that I'm particularly feeling that anymore. It might be the Prozac; that's a fairly new development.

On the point of Prozac: does anyone else who takes that notice it makes one more inclined towards... 'relations', as Charlie Pace of Lost termed it? (I'm not traditionally a fan of euphemisms, but I don't remember the site's policy on cussing, and have no inclination to look it up.) Between making me more interested in women and repeatedly waking me up in the middle of the night, it's somewhat unsavory, but it may actually be doing something ambiguously positive inside my head.

So, to wrap this thing up: I'd be happy to hear thoughts from any social phobics or depressives who've dealt with a similar situation, given such folk would presumably be alive to read this, and this would be he appropriate venue for such a request. Also, if anyone either does play-by-post RP or plays Civilization V, those are two areas where I'm eager to expand my circle of contacts. Especially the second one. Seriously.

Last edited:

hardy

if its here til t'rrow u posted it in the right place...the admins here r pretty good at what they do. I hate them sometimes, not for long.

I have no ambition in life...one day i want to be like a kid.

MMGiru

@hardy -- Thanks for giving advice on the site's workings, a relevant comment, and the bump. Useful all around. : P

I do find myself occasionally depressed when I realize I'm an adult now. Actually, every time I realize that it's grim. Still: everything dies, childhood especially.

I also lack ambition though. Seems like it's just not within my capacity. Every so often I'll get excited about a particular thing, but I'll eventually remember I have no work ethic, and that'll be pretty much the end of that.

Raichel

Civilization V

Aargh, this has been on my must-play list for like, the past twenty-four months. So many games, so little time. :thinking:

Oh and uhm hi! Welcome to SPW! I'm not on Prozac myself, but since it's one of the most commonly prescribed antidepressants I'm sure someone else on here could share a thing or two about any side effects they may have experienced.

MMGiru

@coyote -- Thanks. I'll try to avoid being socially anxious and crawling back into the dark.

@Raichel -- Thanks to you as well, and Civ V is tremendously fun. Apologies if there's jealousy there. I actually blew all my money on three copies of the Brave New World expansion for two friends and I, because, you know: I'm an adult. It's $30 (eep) but it adds about 50% more content, and makes the game much more like Civ IV, which is a positive.

I'm told Prozac is considered essentially the most straightforward and reliable anti-depressant, and is quite popular because of it. I find it gives me a sort of forced sobriety. The extent to which that annoys me is proof enough that I'll never be able to drink. : P

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
More important than sociality -- and more on the topic of this thread -- is my not having ever had a job before. I've just recently passed 21 here, and my complete lack of work ethic, social tolerance, useful knowledge, and work experience is something of an issue. I basically don't have any planned future ahead of me. For a while, my plan was something like 'avoid getting kicked out of the house as long as possible and then proceed to die of starvation in a ditch', but I don't know that I'm particularly feeling that anymore. It might be the Prozac; that's a fairly new development.

Starving to death in a ditch used to be my plan too, and I can tell you it's not going to work. As unpleasant as it is to hear, the only way you can make your way through this life without being a weight that your parents (or anyone) has to carry endlessly, is to get out there and try to be independent. You sound like a smart person, there is no way you can't get where you'd like to go.

MMGiru

@Pacific_Loner -- There's not really an appropriate level of thanks to give for the sentiment you've expressed. Compliments on my wit are also appreciated.

I don't know how independence might happen, or even what I aim for in that. I suppose if I were able to no longer be a burden to my parents or whoever else, as you've said, that would be ideal. I already have anything else I might need out of life, really. Although I don't know how to do taxes. Presumably no one who pays them does either, but that's still bothersome. That is really the only benefit to neither owning anything nor having an income, despite what the rest of my brain might think on the issue. Insurance fits somewhere in that dynamic as well, I'm (quite) recently reminded.