I Don't Care For Christmas

dannyboy65

With Christmas around the corner I have to speak my mind about it, and why I dislike Christmas. For a few years now I have grown to dislike Christmas. One reason is a very stupid reason. I highly dislike how everybody is so positive just because of one day. I'm okay with positive, but overly positive gets really annoying. I don't know it feels like it creeps under my skin and bothers me terribly, because in a way I know they're not positive people in the first place.

I really dislike gift giving... I could care less if I got any gifts, I don't want to give gifts. I still do but I don't like it because I feel it shows people are greedy. I don't sign up for secret santa's or gift giving games. I could care less if I get nothing as long as I'm not involved I'm happy.

I don't watch a lot of tv but when I do Christmas is the worst time because of all the Christmas movies and special and shows. I find they all have the same plot with few exceptions like Home Alone.

I also dislike how people say they're getting into the holiday spirit, when there are other holiday's and no one gets in the spirit for them, no they only do for Christmas. What makes Christmas so special?

Most of these things are little things and I don't mean to sound hateful I just ain't a huge fan of Christmas, to me it's just another day. I very sorry if I offend anybody but these are my personal views. I could say more but I just wanted to say the main things that bug me.

gustavofring

I feel the same way, but I understand why people look forward to it.

It's traditionally a cathartic moment of the year, getting together with family, being a bit nicer to each other. The rest of the year is rushed and busy. In that sense Christmas has a sort of social function. It forces people to examine their relationships with their family and friends. It's kind of sad we need a special day for that, but that's what it is.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
It's traditionally a cathartic moment of the year, getting together with family, being a bit nicer to each other. The rest of the year is rushed and busy.

The REST of the year is rushed and busy? I've never seen people freak out under rush more than christmas holidays. People are crazy: Everyone hates the shopping insanity, the social pressure for everything to be perfect and make it looks like we have loads of money. It doesn't make anyone happy and yet they do it every year, over and over.

I don't care about it either. I've just been shopping for toys which was hell, the city turns into one giant refugee camp with millions of bewildered people looking for shit to buy, because they feel obligated, but not knowing wtf they are looking for, and ofcourse I was one of them. I came back with a giant seal and lego, last year I came back with a giant dog and lego. I am not a good shopper.

Fortunately my family doesn't make a huge deal out of it, though we have relatives coming round, which means I can't stay in my pyjamas and i'll have to use table manners. I see extra people as competition for leftovers aswell.

gustavofring

I guess I'm talking about what it ideally should be.

But yeah you're right, a lot of people pretty much freak out nowadays. You really don't want to be in mass shopping area's and stuff like that around this time of the year. And a lot of people go in a sort of stressy psycho-trip of everything having to be perfect, maybe to show their families how well they're doing and a lot of unspoken resentment bubbling to the surface.

Of course if you look for these excesses you will find them. But I think/hope there's also a lot of non-dysfunctional families who haven't forgotten what it's about and just have a simple and nice time together without having sticks up their butts.

Last edited:
I'm okay with xmas, but i don't do presents. I find it's a mixed bag, as i like the "xmas spirit" & "xmas cheer" thing, but abhore all the ads on tv as they are purely commercial & taking advantage of the true (religious) nature/meaning of xmas.