I can't watch scary movies!

Waybuloo

Yes, it is true.

I cannot watch thrillers, suspense, and horror. The tension, suspense and violence gives me high anxiety. I can't even watch Doctor Who, I am terrified of of even spoof films like Shawn of the Dead. Films like The Ring makes me jump in the dark for weeks. I am not afriad of blood though, but eyes and corpses give me the creeps. Sometimes the Simpsons Halloween specials make me turn my head away.

I am thinking that this sensitivity to tension might be related to me having an anxiety disorder. It is somewhat genetic I think, cause my mum can't cross the road without looking like she's running for her life. Does anyone else have this ridiculous affliction or can offer any insights at all??

Last edited:
I miss David too, Ahimsa. :(

As for the thread, I'm the same. I'm fine with a little suspense but I don't understand how people can actually enjoy horror films. Fear is my most hated emotion, and I'd rather be in excruciating physical pain than be terrified - and that's why people watch those kind of movies - to get terrified. Whenever I watch a horror movie, even if it isn't that scary (at least by horror film standards), it stays with me for days.

Waybuloo

I miss David too, Ahimsa. :(

As for the thread, I'm the same. I'm fine with a little suspense but I don't understand how people can actually enjoy horror films. Fear is my most hated emotion, and I'd rather be in excruciating physical pain than be terrified - and that's why people watch those kind of movies - to get terrified. Whenever I watch a horror movie, even if it isn't that scary (at least by horror film standards), it stays with me for days.

I think it's akin to people who are addicted to extreme sports, for the adrenaline, the escape of death and injury, gives them a high. Of course the escape is simulated when they put themselves in the actor's shoes.

I really wanted to watch 28 Days Later though but I kept seeing red eyes after seeing 28 Weeks Later.

stephen

Yeah I find horror stressful and I usually just end up resenting the cheap emotional manipulation that they employ to create the horror rather than enjoying the movie.

Luke1993

I'm usually okay with watching horror films. Sometimes I keep the lights on though!

What about Doctor Who did you find scary? Or have you not watched it because you think it might be scary?

Oh and Matt Smith is much better than David Tennant by the way ;)

Waybuloo

I'm usually okay with watching horror films. Sometimes I keep the lights on though!

What about Doctor Who did you find scary? Or have you not watched it because you think it might be scary?

Oh and Matt Smith is much better than David Tennant by the way ;)

I've watched Doctor Who, what scares me is the risk of them getting caught/killed/hurt by the baddies. For example there's an episode with 'the angels', where the angel in the picture gets closer and closer to the girl everytime she blinks and that's scary!

Matt Smith is better partly becos of the chemistry with his sidekick :)