I can't breathe

Canres

I feel like I can't breathe. The habit of holding my breath gets so bad. I can't concentrate on anything. Feel like giving up. I need someone to tell me how to breathe.

Canres

Sometimes I feel like drowning in a pool full of people, I feel like learning to swim again, all that breath stuff to not go mad. Don't give up.

Thanks. But I feel like the wire in my mind that keeps my sanity is going to break anytime. Taking every breath is hard work for me. My anxiety worsens because I fear that people are going to notice how hard I have been breathing.

Kiwong

google deep breathing and relaxation techniques, there are plenty of instructions out there

Canres

google deep breathing and relaxation techniques, there are plenty of instructions out there

I tried. The more I tried to do deep breathing, the more I felt short of breath. I tried to breathe deeply, but I just couldn't stop myself from holding my breath each and every time I breathe.

Kiwong

It isn't as simple as deep breathing, it's more about controlled rhythmic breathing, it's about relaxing muscles. Deep breathing just deprives you of oxygen. Perhaps you need to find someone to show you how. There are many people who can help you.

Last edited:

Canres

It isn't as simple as deep breathing, it's more about controlled rhythmic breathing, it's about relaxing muscles. Deep breathing just deprives you of oxygen. Perhaps you need to find someone to show you how. There are many people who can help you.

I certainly need someone to help me, but I don't know who can help me.

Sacrament

It gets worse because you focus on it getting worse. Whatever you're doing, just take deep, calm breaths, and then exhale calmly. Not only are people not noticing, but they don't care.

There are therapists who can teach you how. Counsellors, pyschologists, relaxation therapists, yoga teachers.

Yes, I agree. I've read in your past posts that you have trouble with hyperventilating? It would be worth explaining all this to your doctor to see what they suggest, breathing problems + anxiety seem to be fairly common, finding someone to help you retrain how to breath and teach you how to handle hyperventilating etc would be the way to go

Deco

I used to have this sensation and needed medication for a few years.
Exercising, games, praying and meditation or just learning to got out and have fun on my own when I couldn't hang out
with friends also helped me.

Anyway, seeing a doctor and talking abou this may be the best thing.

Canres

My family is a very troubled family. Going to see a therapist means I have to tell them about my problems.
If you have a family member who has very twisted and selfish personality and could be violent some times and the other family members are living under stress the whole time and you know how much they have suffered, would you still be able to tell them that you also somehow have a mental condition when they thought you are the last hope in the family? It would break my heart to tell them.

Kiwong

My family is a very troubled family. Going to see a therapist means I have to tell them about my problems.
If you have a family member who has very twisted and selfish personality and could be violent some times and the other family members are living under stress the whole time and you know how much they have suffered, would you still be able to tell them that you also somehow have a mental condition when they thought you are the last hope in the family? It would break my heart to tell them.

Lots of people learn breathing and relaxation techniques, it's beneficial to everyone not just anxiety sufferers. It doesn't mean anyone has to learn about your issues. Try Yoga, they teach relaxation, meditation and breathing as a part of that.

Deco

I like to listen to relaxing binaural beats. Some people think it's a placebo effect, but they do work for most. Guided meditation is another good thing. There are some good YouTube videos with both. I like listening/watching them when I'm really stressed.