I can't believe how much I changed in a year

dannyboy65

(Warning long)

I was writing on another thread on the site about this past year and I really can't believe how far I have gone. One year ago I was stealing, abusing drugs and alcohol, fighting people, losing friends and family, and worst of all losing myself. I was on my final strings, I tried everything to numb my pain. I remember I would abuse drugs from the time I woke up to the time I went to bed. When I didn't have drugs I would binge drink hard liquor. I was also below average on all of my marks. I didn't have any friends left they all started to leave. I was admitted to the hospital for a suicide attempt, the doctor's asked me if the devil was inside me. I would also steal from stores and people, mostly my father, I would steal his cigarettes. Eventually I started popping pills they made me feel like crap but in a way I didn't care. Then a year ago from today I made the decision to join a local autism foundation. I got my very own life coach, who is now one of my dearest friends. He gave me the motivation to get clean, to get out of my comfort zone and meet people. Ever since I met him I have been drug free. I have been getting above average marks on all of my work. I even volunteered at 2 locations to help people in need. Then I knew deep inside me was a great person wanting to get out. I recognized this when I put together a donation box at the autism society for my best friend's family who were so terribly in debt they had to almost skip their Christmas and tell their 6 year old that there was no santa that year. When I delivered the package my friend's father (who was severely ill) didn't want to accept the gifts, but he did. A week after Christmas he called me and it was the first time I ever heard him say those words, and it will probably be my last. He thanked me for all the things I did for his family. That is how I knew that deep down that good person was who I wanted to be. So I made a drastic change in one year and now today I am a success story at the autism foundation.

Where were you guys a year ago?

ImNotMyIllness

WOW! You've come along way!

For me, pretty much the same. But, I've had a very rough year. So, taken that into consideration, I guess I'm doing okay.

Last edited:

THeCARS1979

(Warning long)

I was writing on another thread on the site about this past year and I really can't believe how far I have gone. One year ago I was stealing, abusing drugs and alcohol, fighting people, losing friends and family, and worst of all losing myself. I was on my final strings, I tried everything to numb my pain. I remember I would abuse drugs from the time I woke up to the time I went to bed. When I didn't have drugs I would binge drink hard liquor. I was also below average on all of my marks. I didn't have any friends left they all started to leave. I was admitted to the hospital for a suicide attempt, the doctor's asked me if the devil was inside me. I would also steal from stores and people, mostly my father, I would steal his cigarettes. Eventually I started popping pills they made me feel like crap but in a way I didn't care. Then a year ago from today I made the decision to join a local autism foundation. I got my very own life coach, who is now one of my dearest friends. He gave me the motivation to get clean, to get out of my comfort zone and meet people. Ever since I met him I have been drug free. I have been getting above average marks on all of my work. I even volunteered at 2 locations to help people in need. Then I knew deep inside me was a great person wanting to get out. I recognized this when I put together a donation box at the autism society for my best friend's family who were so terribly in debt they had to almost skip their Christmas and tell their 6 year old that there was no santa that year. When I delivered the package my friend's father (who was severely ill) didn't want to accept the gifts, but he did. A week after Christmas he called me and it was the first time I ever heard him say those words, and it will probably be my last. He thanked me for all the things I did for his family. That is how I knew that deep down that good person was who I wanted to be. So I made a drastic change in one year and now today I am a success story at the autism foundation.

Where were you guys a year ago?

congrads man and keep up the good work

Fighter86

I had an incrediably difficult year, but you did great man! Thanks for sharing, it gives hope to people. I am trying to rebuild my life again, hopefully I ll do better a year from now.

fate12321

Wow, awesome story! Keep it going! I haven't made much progress throughout a year. I manage to gain a little more self confidence in myself, and I think that's pretty much it.

dannyboy65

I'm glad to see everyone happy for me, it means a lot. I'm not fully there yet I still struggle with bad anxiety, but I'm finding ways to fight it. I always look back and tell myself I have become a better person. I hope that I will live a life with peace and be remembered as a great guy.