I can socialize online..but not offline?

AlleyCat

Posting on forums has gotten a lot easier for me, but I still have a hard time with MSN and "real time" chatting. If I've known the person for awhile and feel comfortable with them it makes a big difference for me, but it's getting to that point that's hard.

PennyLane

Even online when I post...i sometimes worry im offending someone or saying the wrong thing! This is the first forum i've ever been on or posted on.

In real life in convo I either say too little or too much...If i've spoken a lot then I think it over for hours afterwards..I know its better to have spoken but sometimes just to keep my mind calm afterwards and so im still not questioning myself (way after the event) its just easier to stay quiet at the time.

smff73

yup agreed

Disaster online here too.

It's an incredible blow to morale, to log on, see lots of contacts online, only for them to ignore you when you try and start a conversation with them.

Takes me straight back to square one, thinking I'm wierd, thinking people see me as wierd. What's the solution? Keep putting myself out there, hoping it'll get better? ::(:

dream

I'm the same way. I think a lot of us are. The reason why we're better at socializing online and being ourselves on msn and stuff is because you have a lot more time to think through what you're saying. And if you type something out but think "No that's dumb" you can just press backspace and they never know you even thought about saying that to them.

If only i could backspace every mistake i ever made lol

crestfallen.

If only i could backspace every mistake i ever made lol

I know that if I tried to, I'd prolly end up with carpal tunnel in all 10 of my fingers before I'd ever finish.

But seriously, even though socializing online is easier than doing so offline, I still can get stressed out during online conversations. When I'm on AIM and the person I'm talking to doesn't reply for awhile, I tend to assume the worst and try to carry the conversation on my own, even though I know I only have but so much to say. Even without being on AIM, I'm sometimes reluctant to leave comments on blogs/ Facebook statuses because of that same anxiety about my thoughts'll be received in places where they can be easily viewed by many people.

And even during online conversations, I find myself overanalyzing everything I have to say anyway, replaying it a thousand times in my head before sending a message. Still, at least socializing online comes with the benefit of a backspace key and the ability to escape from them if necessary. That said, online conversations are still much more preferable than offline chats.

Reiji Moritsugu

Disaster online here too.

It's an incredible blow to morale, to log on, see lots of contacts online, only for them to ignore you when you try and start a conversation with them.

Takes me straight back to square one, thinking I'm wierd, thinking people see me as wierd. What's the solution? Keep putting myself out there, hoping it'll get better? ::(:

Add another member to the online disasters club, please.

I have the same problem...and as a result I am not even able to socialize online, which has sometimes led me to think that I am just screwed for life when it comes to such matters :(

See you around :)

Jake123

Banned
I've been told I'm *too* chatty online. Once I start I can't really stop and I talk to multiple people at the same time and go back and forth typing at 140 WPM without even thinking about what I'm typing (it comes naturally to me, I type and send way faster than I think and speak IRL) and basically very social and usually the life of the conversation. I met one guy I knew for 12 years online before seeing him IRL, and he was stunned how completely polar opposite my online and offline personalities are.

u just gotta find away to turn that person you are online (the real you) into that person you are offline. Best of luck :)

mitchellb999

I think it's wierd.I have so many friends on messengers that love talking to me,but offline it's like I don't know what to say & I find myself asking myself "oh my gosh what do I say now" or "how do I start a convo." people just basically find me as being a boring,quiet, shy girl.Does anyone else experience this?

I find it hard to talk online these days. My trust in the internet has gone down. The online "friends" I had just disappeared.

this_portrait

I'm waaay better at socializing online than in person, but lately my list of online friends seems to be smaller and smaller than it has been in the past. There are only a select few people who I actually talk to online anymore.