I can socialize online..but not offline?

lovelove

I think it's wierd.I have so many friends on messengers that love talking to me,but offline it's like I don't know what to say & I find myself asking myself "oh my gosh what do I say now" or "how do I start a convo." people just basically find me as being a boring,quiet, shy girl.Does anyone else experience this?

Danfalc

Banned
lovelove said:
I think it's wierd.I have so many friends on messengers that love talking to me,but offline it's like I don't know what to say & I find myself asking myself "oh my gosh what do I say now" or "how do I start a convo." people just basically find me as being a boring,quiet, shy girl.Does anyone else experience this?

Im exactly the same,while i wouldnt say im super popular over the net or anything :) I can be myself with people.Where as i go to bits in real life and i worry if i ever met someone off the net would they think wow this person isnt who he made himself out to be.

I was once nervous of talking to people over msn tho,i can still be over sensative and self concious,but im so much better than i was.I guess thats cos we have put in the time and learnt to improve our social skills online.And maybe that shows us we can do it..and now we just need to try and do it in the real world aswell.

Sorry for the rant lol :D

madmike

suppose you're lucky in some respects then... you might find it easier then to learn how to relax in front of people and be your chatty online self. I have it just as hard online as offline...

Danfalc

Banned
Took me 3 years to get semi comfy online :) Id hardly call it lucky,just hard work and forcing myself to stick it out in the long run.

danstelter

Yes, I have had a similar experience. The reason you are feeling this way is because the net is much safer and less threatening than real life. You can make up who you want to be and nobody would know the difference!

But, I found that as I continued to stick it out and challenge myself to move out into the real world, the net got less threatening and so did real life.

My advice is to continue to use the net as a "failsafe" where you can go to socialize, but also challenge yourself to move out into the real world at the same time. While it may become hard and you may feel like quitting at times, take a break and then get back at it because you will feel so much better in the long run when you realize you can do it and make friends in real life (I believe anyone can do this if they put their minds to it)!

Interzone

I have a similar problem, I can socialize just fine online (best with people I know in real life) but I just don't talk to them in person, I can't, but online I can, but I have trouble expressing my emotions and thoughts in text so it's very frustrating, especially since I obviously cannot do it in person.

I'm the same way. I think a lot of us are. The reason why we're better at socializing online and being ourselves on msn and stuff is because you have a lot more time to think through what you're saying. And if you type something out but think "No that's dumb" you can just press backspace and they never know you even thought about saying that to them.

Quickslash

Being afraid of the unknown is my problem. I have talked online so much that I usually know what to expect from people. I feel comfortable socializing online.

In real life I am an agoraphobic that can't even talk on the phone. I dunno what went wrong, but I think it's cause I haven't done it enough to feel comfortable.

Look at it this way, how long are you on your computer vs. how long you are out of the house? I'm pretty sure that's my problem anyway -_-

LoneWolf09

I use to do all my conversations online and it would flow quite well. Meeting people in person, I would always get a panic attack. Nowadays it's still the same to a degree. I will feel ok after being around them some time.

TheLoneWolf

I use to do all my conversations online and it would flow quite well. Meeting people in person, I would always get a panic attack. Nowadays it's still the same to a degree. I will feel ok after being around them some time.

im like this also. i dont comprehend information quick enough to make a non-awkward normal response. nice screen name btw haha

Jamie P

I used to hate IM and thought it was silly. Then I realised you can actually use IM as a training ground/playground for offline.
cause you are basically talking real time only not with your mouth.
I noticed that when i thought of what IM had in common with face to face it clicked.
hope this helps

Joolin

I think the main difference is timing. In a talking conversation, there are fairly established norms when it comes to timing - you say what you want to say in a smooth and consistent fashion, then the other person immediately responds. If you falter or stutter or pause just a bit too long, you throw everything off and the other person thinks you're strange.

In a typing conversation, you can type at your own pace, taking as many pauses as you need, then you press the enter key and the other person is none the wiser. If you take a long time to respond, perhaps you were just away from the chat window for a bit.

The difference is even greater in things like forums, where the conversation isn't instantaneous at all. You can type what you want to say, edit it, revise it, rewrite it, do whatever you want, and then post it, and nobody has any idea what went through your mind, face, and fingers as you were typing it.

I think that's why the internet is so dangerously inviting and addictive to us social phobes - we can make ourselves come across however we like. No more stutter, no more stumble, no more awkward pause and uncomfortable shifting. On the internet, smoothness is proportional to literacy as opposed to social skills, with that dumb loudmouth who has too many friends coming across as an awkward loser.

I've always thought it would be a nice change to modern culture for the customs of conversation to include a short pause between statements so as to allow adequate time to come up with a decent response. Just imagine how much more substantial conversations would be. People might actually listen to eachother without feeling like they're just waiting for their turn to talk.

Noca

Banned
I can socialize better online but Im getting better at doing it offline too :) Comes with Addy and practice!

yep same here
i kinda had msn since early years of highschool and just started talking to people and my mind is super fast in replying and i don't hesistate and its as if this part of me is sperate than my real life me..
and in real life, im just a **** up but slowly i'm getting better as i'm naturally getting use to it