Hyperhydrosis/Social Anxiety Coorelation

EvilFlyingCow

Hi, I've always had severe social anxiety, but not hyperhydrosis. However, my sister (who's 3 years younger than me) always had hyperhydrosis, but she doesn't have social anxiety. She's always had friends and been very social. She got an operation a couple of years ago to get rid of her hyperhydrosis though.

I was wondering, is there some sort of connection between these two disorders? I see a lot of threads about hyperhydrosis on this social anxiety forum. It's starting to make me think there must be some genetic connection between the two.

My grandmother had hyperhydrosis, but she was a social person. But my grandfather claims *he* was always very shy. I'm starting to think that maybe my social phobia stems more from genetics than environment, unlike I had previously thought. I figured that since I was homeschooled as a child and had very controlling and sheltering parents, this must have caused my social phobia. Seems like it might be something passed down the genes now, though. Any thoughts?

I don't know whether there's a genetic link between the two, but there's definitely an emotional one.

I suffer from both and I know that my HH is far worse when there's a social occasion involved. One of the symptoms of anxiety is sweating, and when you suffer from HH, your anxiety sweats can be like waterfalls.

I'm not sure if there's a link any deeper than that though, as I believe social anxiety is caused rather than inherited. I do reckon that social anxiety can turn a mild sweat problem into a bad case of HH, though, because anxiety exacerbates the sweat problem, which causes more anxiety next time you're faced with a scary situation, which causes more sweat etc etc etc.

karl:-/

Hi I suffer from HH neva called it that till I found this site.I've taken time to read some of the posts about hyperhydrosis, Wow!! Nd also cry :( I have had this sinse school but thought it was kinda normal for a child/teenager to sweat from arm pits nd clammy hands. So it neva bothered me untill I hit the working world nd found people become erm?? At first intrested/polite, thn its little jokes or comments tht may seem fine but over time become outlandish :-( obviously I had to think of the money, world revolves around the stuff.. now the doctors dam them!! Seen one guy he said try the anti persprant, it went from that to every kind of herbal, non evasive nonsense over 12 month. Finaly seen it on tv nd to be honest the babe :) had minor issues but got (fixed). I kinda went michael vorhese on my doc nd demanded to see a specailist bum bum bum. Today I'm worse thn ever I've neva suffered with anxiety untill it got worse now its a case of, if I have a bad day with HH I'm anxious nd its does get worse :( meals out not happening but the fun loving me still fights on :) yea its tuff major!! Low days, far out days :) thn days wen I get kicked of the sick medical benefits, becoz I can move my limbs nd to the naked eye look fine,we all manage to cover it up with extra tops ect. Behind a fake smile.... Well I'm gona stop there I'm tired, ow ive had 2 therasic sympathectomy ops now its chest/bk nd gravity does the rest :( chat soon hope to hear from sum1 much love ppl x

crazypants

This is an interesting topic. I have HH and SAD, and it's always a big 'chicken or egg' argument in my head as to what came first.

I have sweaters in my famiy, and I have some people who I would categorize as SAD (not that it's ever been discussed, but I recognize it in them) but none of these people share both.

I guess I got lucky and got the perfect storm of HH and SAD!