Hyperhidrosis and anxiety/stress

serena37

I am new to this forum so here is a little background from me beforehand.
Age when HH started: 12
Areas affected: Mostly Palmar/Plantar, Underarm, upper lip & Groin/thighs (so I guess that is general HH).
Treatments tried: Only Drysol which I tried on hands/upperlip/underarm. It has worked well for my upper lip and underarm but not so well for my hands.

I recently moved away from home and started uni. This has caused me alot of anxiety/stress, some of it just being normal since I am in a new environment and have never lived away from home, but a large part being that I am concerned that HH will affect me in school and in my future career. Since moving I have had a severe increase in sweating.

I know that my HH is mostly triggered by anxiety and stress. When I am 100% relaxed and not thinking about HH, then I am likely to be dry for the most part. I don't feel like my HH is due to an anxiety disorder but rather that the stress/anxiety that is caused by my HH results in a dramatic increase in its symptoms.
My question to you guys is if anyone else experiences this and if so have you tried taking anti-anxiety meds & did it work?

P.S. I have ordered Robinul/Avert from pharmacy.ca and it should be arriving tomorrow so I will let you guys know how that works out.

Sprawling

Welcome to the group.

Usually HH triggers stress, sweating, more stress. It's a constant repeating cycle. The Glycopyrrolate you ordered can help with that cycle. Iontopheresis can also help with your hands and feet.

Being away from home for the first time, living amongst groups of people can also add to the stress. Anti-anxiety meds usually have little effect on sweating. Be sure to read the glyco related postings on this group. Lots of people have experience with it and the proper way to use it.

Good luck!

HHDisturbed

Hi and welcome. Like Sprawling said, it sounds like you are already on the right track as far as treatment goes. But yes, HH triggers stress, stress triggers sweat, which causes more stress. It is a viscious cycle. All I can suggest on the stress is to do your best to be a positive person. This helps me to relax more in public and group settings by always diverting my thoughts away from sweating and being more observant of others and our environment and finding the positives. It's not easy and I still get anxietal in certain situations and conditions but the glyco has helped. I still sweat doing anything out in the heat and humidity but not nearly as bad as before.

Best to you and welcome again!

hyp-hi

I tried anti-anxiety medications years back but they didn't really help with anxiety or sweating so I stopped using them. Glyco is a good option if you are at university. Ionto is good too but that is more difficult to use in a setting like that. Anyway, welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of helpful information here.