how would you know your cured?

JonnyD

tell me , how would you know you're totally cured? you have no more social phobia? What's the line between normally shy and sociophobic?

Angel_Of_Death

You know your cured when the fear is gone.

Social Phobia = Social Fear

If you don't fear social situations, then you are cured.

TheNewZero

Angel_Of_Death said:
You know your cured when the fear is gone.

Social Phobia = Social Fear

If you don't fear social situations, then you are cured.

My therapist asked me one day on a scale from 1 to 10 how much nervousness I would like to have in social situations. I said 0 and she said that everyone gets nervous in social situations, it's normal. That seemed weird to me, I guess it makes sense but for me any anxiety I have feels horrible. I think most of it is being able to accept that you can't be perfect all the time, and embarrassments are bound to happen. For me I'll know I'm cured when I get myself into a situation, thoroughly embarrass myself, but afterwards think 'oh that wasn't so bad'.

Zarrix

Unlike a physical condition, I don't think you can be cured of a mental condition per say. A broken arm is a broken arm, a problem with the mind is of an infinite nature, and there are therefore an infinite amount of variables to consider. You can't just go to a doctor, and get an operation to cfix this. I think the appropiate term is 'overcome'

The most important thing to consider is that when you have overcome SA, you wont be thinking about it during social interaction anymore, it will just flow more naturally. In other words, you will no longer be so self-conscious. When you start thinking about your actions in social situations excessively, that means the problem has reoccured, or remains.

Havocan

As I've previously stated, I don't think you can be totally cured but only reduce it to a level where it doesn't have severe consequences for you anymore. And the only thing to do that is by working and practicing with social situations^^.

Being cured is not being worried or intimidated by social situations, taking them in your stride as part of your life.

I am not trying to rid my life of anxiety. No-one can live a life free of anxiety, it doesn't happen. There are going to be situations in your life where you WILL feel anxious.
My goal with getting better is not to obsess about my anxiety. I amn't trying to get rid of my anxiety, I'm trying to be at peace with my anxiety. I'm trying to be ok with feeling anxiety, and not letting it bother me or inhibit my life.