How to replace internet addiction?

mindflux

I`ve just read this THREAD about computer/internet addiction and realized I have a problem.

How do I stop the addiction? What do you do when offline, what is your hobby? I stoped my gaming addiction by deleting all games on my computer but how do I stop internet adiction, I mean, I need to use a computer for school sometimes and it really is hard to resist surfing around. How do I solve this? Help ::(:

Valhalla

Your hobbies are up to you to decide. When you're not by the computer you got lots of time to experiment. I always recommend books. It depends if you want to be a user or a creator (User: computer games, movies, books etc. Creator: write, learn instruments, draw/paint etc.)

If you really feel that some places on the Internet especially takes up much of your time; close down the account or erase the adress from your Internet history. Only visit some of these websites every second day or so. Fix your music in MP3-files, try to avoid music on the web, and YouTube - now you're getting close to the epicentre of "time wasting".

Have an alarm clock, or your mobile phone nearby, limit your time on the Internet to a minimum that you set up. Like this for example: you do some school work, suddently you crave to do something else online, start the clock and surf around till the time is up.

GhastlyCC

I've been pretty addicted to the internet for the past few years.
Spending hours upon hours sitting at the computer.
But lately....the "online communities" (Not this one) and the "friends" that I've made through them have become less and less important to me.
There was a specific "geek/nerd" site that I pretty much spent my life on for a couple years.
But I just stopped going there completely last year and deleted all the people I knew from there off of my facebook just the other day.lol
Used to spend alot of time on youtube debating various subjects but....I just don't care anymore.
I spend only like 4 hours a day on the computer now...broken up.
And feel bad if I use it anymore than that.

I've been working alot on my health lately and getting my life sorted more than anything.
It's pretty much replaced my internet addiction.

Meggy0001

I think I am addicted as well since I can never really find anything better to do :/ but reading is pretty good at taking hours of your day, well if it's a good book.
Try experimenting with different activities and see if there is something that interests you, like I started learning piano and I started being on that a lot more but then I did stop since I had to leave my lesson and am no stuck on where to go next so try something maybe you haven't tried :)

Steppen-Wolf

I don't think there's an easy answer. As what probably drew you to your addiction in the first place was not being able to find other pleasurable activities.

The one thing you need to understand is that addiction cannot be overcome in a day. You need to start slow.

Maybe make a rule, 1 hour of computer and then 1 hour of something else (even if it's just taking a random walk). Not enough to produce withdrawal but still reduces your online time.

dyingtolive

me too... at least my addiction is more of this site.. at least i get the things i need to do done first and then going to this site or others is my reward sort of. i still do want to spend more time away. the addicting factor is it just takes 1 click to check new posts, not like games where u have to get into it. this is bite sized. so, temptation is always there unless the internet is really unplugged. hiding modem or router or even just the wire may help. would love a software that could lock your internet for a set time with no over ride as well