How to exude positive body language?

SilentAndShy

So, in my new job, I joined my colleague on a stall we had set up to raise awareness of our organisation.

She was a natural: bubbly, confident, chatty. I was very nervous as it was the first I'd done something like that. It was cold where we were situated so we just had our coats on.

I tried my best which was try to smile and make eye contact (some people cleverly and I would have done the same, avoided making any) but I didn't know where to put my hands! I didn't cross them over in a negative body language move but just wrapped them together rather than in my pocket but felt it wasn't natural to me to even do that!

Is there an article of what is good body language when standing up and talking to people?

Any thoughts really appreciated as we have another event next week so would love to try out some new things to help calm me down as I need to perfect my little speech of what we do to consumers.

Thank you!

jaim38

Maybe it's just me, but I've never seen anyone use the "reverse hand steeple". I thought this hand posture looked weird because it's like making a heart shape with your hands! When I listen to people, I usually clasp my hands together in front.

SilentAndShy

maybe holding them behind your back might have looked better? like in this article;
Confident Hand Gesture
also first and second one might be useful? I've noted that people doing presentations do this.

Holding hands behind wouldn't have been the best for me, hardly in a leadership or powerful role to do so our events are about luring people to talk to us so not best.

First one was useful and I think I do this anyway but but put the hands more closer and the second one I've seen people do but again, might do it but hands abit closer.

SilentAndShy

^Thanks for that.

Yeah I kinda feel I've started to do that in the events. I've smiled and that I feel has come across well when I've met people in our office doing front of house work. I don't normally smile when I'm out and about but when I'm at work - I HAVE to because if I don't then it could have an effect on me keeping my job so I tend to throw myself into smiling more and it's not been too bad so far.

But it's the physical body language that I need help with to compliment my smiles lol.

jaim38

Thank you for sharing this inspiring talk! As the talk progressed, I find myself identifying with many of the things she mentioned. "Fake it till you make it" was one of my oft-repeated motto. I thought it was interesting that she changed the motto to "Fake it till you become it". I also identified with being smart for perhaps 18 years of my life, up until college. It was sad to hear she got into a car accident which damaged her brain and caused her to feel un-smart. Being smart is overrated in my opinion. So many smart people are too arrogant to the point where they put others down. Being wise and humble is a better combo.

SilentAndShy

"Fake till you become it" resonates with me more than "Fake it till you make it". Latter sounds temporary whilst the former sounds permanent.

I'm learning in my new job, that for example, smiling regularly may give off that I'm more confident than I am but hopefully it will actually make me more confident.