How should I greet this person?

nightcrawler

My mate has been going out with this girl for a few years now and they are getting married in the summer...but I've never actually met her! Obviously I've heard all about her and she's heard about me. Tomorrow I am going to their home to finally meet the family (they have kids too) as it would be weird if I didn't meet her before the actual wedding. Anyway, this may sound like a silly question, but what should I say/do when I meet her? Just smile and say hello? Shake her hand? Wait and see what she does first? Or just play it by ear? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

jaim38

You can say something along those lines: "hello I'm Jake, Alan's friend. Nice to meet you." and extend out your hand for a handshake.

Hoppy

^ What Jaim38 said. A handshake is nice and neutral, and can be turned into a hug if she initiates it.

And if she say: "I've heard so much about you." the correct answer always is "But you cannot prove anything."

nightcrawler

^ What Jaim38 said. A handshake is nice and neutral, and can be turned into a hug if she initiates it.

And if she say: "I've heard so much about you." the correct answer always is "But you cannot prove anything."

Might just use that! A joke always helps break the ice :)

Say hello my name is.... and its nice to finally meet you, congratulations on the wedding.

Then id probs say something awkward like you gonna get married to my mate oh dear you are in for a shock run now...as a laugh then people would look at me as to say you shouldn't say that but you want to make a good impression so say hello and nice to meet you handshake and smile. That should do as an introduction

nightcrawler

Thanks for all of your replies guys :thumbup: anymore in the next few hours would still be welcome :) I'll let you know how it goes.