How often do you avoid social invites/situations?

overcome.

Here's another question I'm thinking of and wondering the answers to from anybody who posts next...

What about work or education? If you're in either, how do you cope with avoiding things?

very_shy

In school I would come to lectures and only listen the professor, without saying anything, even if having some thoughts. At university it is easier because there are lots of students, while in highschool basically everyone know each other. I would avoid going to parties etc., despite receiving some remarks from others. But these same people would ask me for help in studying, so basically these requests would be my only real way of socializing.It seems I can not socialize just because of socializing itself, it has to be some reason behind it.

At work, hm... On one hand it is easier. Mainly at work your colleagues are (more or less) adult people, maybe they already have their own families, their stories, their problems. If they are friendly, I would tell them about my problems, perhaps they could help. If talking strictly about work itself - at the start of searching work I would think which jobs are suitable for me (e.g. not too much dealing with people, if I tend to avoid them). Even it the worst situation I would think: I am doing this to earn money, to survive.

In general: my experience was that when you are really forced something to do, it can give you some help to less avoid things. My experience: before going to university I was terrified going on bus to this town (18 km). My doctor even told me this would be my homework, but I failed. I thought I am nobody and I was afraid the situation when being only me at the station: asking me why the hell would the driver stop the bus ONLY because of me? But when I was forced to go there to study, I went. 2-3 times I panicked, almost could not breathe. But I got used to it without problems. Because I had to. I didn't have time thinking negative thoughts, I had a goal to finish studies.