how many here have ocd also?

i haven't been clinically diagnosed, but im almost positive they would tell me i have SP and OCD. i fear people in most situations, and i check things several times before having that satisfied feeling that something is finally locked or turned off. i constantly beat myself up after interactions with others and think i could have handled that situation better or made myself appear more intelligent, etc. My brother is a paranoid schizophrenic and my dad had some anxieties in his life although he was popular and successful in spite of it. maybe it was just in the cards for me to have my own shitty hand to play with.

nerdgirl178

Ihave never been diagnosed with OCD but I am sure I have it. I have an obsession with numbers and letters. If I see a "bad" number I would do anything to cover it so I won't look at it. I add up numbers constantly, its so exhausting. I wish I was a genius in Math, like maybe I should learn Calculus or something.

4myself

I think I might be borderline ocd, I find myself always wanting to wash my hands and take showers, I am working very hard to control it though.

daria

Well, here's another one,

I'm obsessed with lines, all kind of lines, the real ones and the ones I imagine. I don't like being touched by them, so sometimes is really unconfortable to walk when I see lines on the ground because I don't want to step on them.
I even wish the room I'm in to form a perfect cube, and I imagine a line from corner to corner and so on. It's really exhausting :x !

Daria Morgendorfffer

black_mamba

daria said:
I even wish the room I'm in to form a perfect cube, and I imagine a line from corner to corner and so on. It's really exhausting :x !

This sounds similar to something I used to concoct in my head - let's see if you find it familiar: I used to imagine a line running down the centre of the room, from the ceiling down to the floor. Next I would picture the line forming into a crack and spliting the room into two.

I was trying to balance out the entire room and create symmetry, so if one side had more furniture than the other I would place the line accordingly to balance out the two sides.

Something along the lines of blocks and cubes too, because I seem to do it with my tv set.
screwy.gif

OCD for me? Nope, what I do is annoying and fairly repetitive, but not to such an extreme that it can be classed as fully blown OCD. :p

Scottish_Player

I go through stages of OCD so iam a part timmer OCD :lol: i go through stages of where everything has to be neat and perfect, everything has to be in order and so on and then one day it can all change and i dont care :roll: but then it can come back just like that.

I also have the number thing, i need my television volume to end in a 1 or a 6 when i am watching it for example 21 or 26 or 31 or 36 and so on if its in between then something just dosent feel right. I have a habbit of reading car registration numbers and i must repeat them twice in my head, the list goes on and on but its just part of life for me now :D

nerdgirl178

I do the same thing with car registration numbers, lol... we are so weird.

Scottish_Player said:
I go through stages of OCD so iam a part timmer OCD :lol: i go through stages of where everything has to be neat and perfect, everything has to be in order and so on and then one day it can all change and i dont care :roll: but then it can come back just like that.

I also have the number thing, i need my television volume to end in a 1 or a 6 when i am watching it for example 21 or 26 or 31 or 36 and so on if its in between then something just dosent feel right. I have a habbit of reading car registration numbers and i must repeat them twice in my head, the list goes on and on but its just part of life for me now :D

racheH

I go from one obsession to another several. :roll:

I had thoughts, ideas, images pop into my head which made me feel guilty and anxious because I didn't want them yet I could feel a kind of build up in my head which meant they were going to explode into my mind anyway. That was at about age four.

Then there came a desire to feel 'symmetrical'. If anything touched me I had to put pressure on the opposite side too. Because one side had been touched first, I had to touch the other side first the next time because one was an odd number. But the cycle had only been done once so I had to repeat it the opposite way round and keep going until it 'felt right', which didn't happen until I lost count and so wasn't aware of the imbalance any more. I've since only seen this compulsion described by one person on TV, which was a relief because I thought I was the only one. I don't suppose anyone here has that one too...?

Most of them have been mental complusions though, where I can't keep a certain topic off my mind. Sometimes they are things I'm interested in and
other times it's something I'm scared of, like being unhealthy. One in particular stands out where I'd avoid sunlight touching me for tear of skin damage. In a car I'd move about as much as possible to get out of it, for the whole journey. That one probaby caused me the most distress.

Most people seem to have at least one symptom, whether it bothers them or not. Many have little rituals for everday tasks. Everyone knows someone who likes to get dressed a certain way each time, for example. I wonder if when it takes over your life it's just a defence mechanism gone wrong. It gets worse for me when I feel I'm losing control anyway, and the way OCD people often talk of wanting things 'in order' or 'symmetrical' also makes it sound like a self-comforting reaction. Hmm...

black_mamba

racheH said:
Then there came a desire to feel 'symmetrical'. If anything touched me I had to put pressure on the opposite side too. I don't suppose anyone here has that one too...?

I guess finding people with the exact same random compulsions is gonna be difficult, but yes I understand the feeling of unease when symmetry isn't met (see my post above) and I still get the urge to put pressure onto certain objects (tv screens, monitors) with my finger, drawing a line down the middle and pushing fairly hard.

It's just bizarre isn't it? :lol:

JWH

I believe I have the tendency, and my mother definitely has the tendency to hoard. I have the desire for order, but no strength to carry through with anything. That's why I find work fulfilling in some respects - because I can get tasks completed. What makes me depressed a lot of the time is that I look around me and see incompleteness.

The trivial obsessions for me mostly involve observing details, repetition and patterns. I will notice cracks in the walls before I notice something blaringly obvious.

racheH

I should probably mention that 'intrusive thoughts' as I described are a sign of OCD. It surprised me to learn, but I don't think they're uncommon. So if anyone wants to get a diagnosis, don't neglect to mention it if things like that happen to you. :)

Yes I did see your post black_mamba. I was surprised to see so many people mentioning symptoms to do with symmetry, order and balance. Whenever I've seen things on TV about OCD, they've tended to focus on people obsessive about necessary things like hygiene, rather than the stuff that seems completely random. Maybe it's because people with other anxiety disorders are said to be more prone to OCD, and I would think more prone to express it in ways to do with everything being predictable, sensible and well-ordered.

daria

black_mamba said:
I used to imagine a line running down the centre of the room, from the ceiling down to the floor. Next I would picture the line forming into a crack and spliting the room into two.

I was trying to balance out the entire room and create symmetry, so if one side had more furniture than the other I would place the line accordingly to balance out the two sides.

Ja, ja, I'm glad I'm not the only one :) ..... (if that helps :? ).

I imagine lines coming from all corners of the room and joining at the center forming triangles. So I'm always trying to stand myself in the middle of one, this way lines can't touch me.
I focus on stopping it, but here we go again, I find myself doing it again and again.

When I'm watching TV I keep myself playing with the remote buttons, I push them trying to put them symmetrically, sometimes my fingers hurt
carcel.gif

Daria Morgendorffer

Bexi

Like Remus mentioned, i have a thing about even numbers too, i wouldnt call it obsessive, as i have controlled it, but i HATE the numbers 7 and 13, and like numbers in multiples of 6, so 6,12,18 etc. God knows why :?

Greenade

Yeah i also have OCD as well as SP.....its a bit more ok now, well at least it feels it....i can actually ignore some of my thoughts that lead to repetitive actions.

I have always had it....as long as i can remember....the first thing i remember was at primary school......i used to count weirdly....i would count to say 3, then to 3 three times...then to 3 three times three times....etc etc...aint that weird :?

I don't have things like washing hands or stuff like that.....although i am very tidy :D

Now i sometimes quite literally get stuck.....putting things away, and i also have a thing with wires...i hate black lines....hard to explain....i always think my actions are going to have an effect on someone or something else....so i have to repeat and try not to have the same thought....hmm

I think its got a little better since i have been taking flax seed oil (the vegetarian version of omega 3) on account i am a veggie...

But yes SP and OCD seem to go hand in hand for a lot of people... :roll:

Adrian

racheH

I think its got a little better since i have been taking flax seed oil (the vegetarian version of omega 3) on account i am a veggie...
I tried this for a while too, but then I found out that the oil that some think is the most important of the omega 3s, DHA, (EDIT: I exaggerated. I haven't seen anyone call it the most important omega 3, but some think it's more vital than EPA, and the fact that it's the most abundant one in breast milk also suggests its importance) is found in such small amounts in it that your body won't put it to use because it has to compete with all the other oils.

A veggie alternative that is supposed to give you enough DHA is supplements derived from algae. These are hard to find but I did find one such product on the Internet. Other than that, there are no veggie sources of DHA that I know of :(

EDIT: Here is one page of in-depth information: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T040900.asp

4myself

I have watched it once, the ep where he took some new meds and they made him 'normal' but unable to solve crimes. I really liked that episode but I keep forgetting to watch Monk, I would really like to see more episodes! :)

paul

I was diagnosed with OCD but not with SA. However, I am quite sure I have it due to I can relate exactly to 90% of the symptoms.

My OCD is more about keeping things very organized (handwriting, I actually spend time trying to make it look like computer type). Books need to be alphabetical by category as do computer games....and, well, everything else. I feel physically uncomfortable when things are messy. I also have a little compulsiveness about grades, I like ... need to get 100s on everything, otherwise it irritates me and disturbs everythinhg. It's kind of strange because I would usually yell at people for being disorganized but with SA that is extremely hard to do :p I just complain in my mind.
I also have OCD about some appearance things that I won't get into and washing hands -- sometimes I wash my hands 40-50 times a day :oops: I have this black scab on my hand, it's really scary looking

I like numbers in multiples of 6, so 6,12,18 etc
Hey I have that exact same thing :D sixes are great. My buddy list has 120 people and all 6 groups have 36, 30, 24, 12, 12, and 6 people in them.

Greenade

Cassie said:
Greenade said:

You Rock Man!!!! :D Vegetarian's Rule!!

TOO RIGHT!!! Veggies are the new world order... :D

But i swear flax seed has worked a little for me, without getting into all the chemical workings of oils and stuff, i am pretty sure its helped me... :)

Ade = AKA Veggie Lord!!! :twisted: :lol:

Greenade

Cassie said:
Greenade said:
Cassie said:
Greenade said:

You Rock Man!!!! :D Vegetarian's Rule!!

TOO RIGHT!!! Veggies are the new world order... :D

But i swear flax seed has worked a little for me, without getting into all the chemical workings of oils and stuff, i am pretty sure its helped me... :)

Ade = AKA Veggie Lord!!! :twisted: :lol:

Marry me now!! :D lol

YES..........now where is my ring :wink:

:twisted: :D :twisted:
Ade