How important is music to you?

Qbmaster

I probably spend at least 80% of my time listening to music or playing the piano. I'm a very active listener so it's hard for me be productive with music in the background. It is worth it, though :) I really don't understand why some people don't enjoy listening to music.

Lea

Banned
I like music but don´t have to listen to it all the time. I can spend whole day in a quiet room reading or on internet and don´t have even the need to switch on TV, radio just ocassionaly. But as a background I find it disturbing, I wonder some people like to have music on even when reading or sleeping. There were times I was listening to walkmann a lot when I was abroad, but then somehow I got rid of the habit and don´t miss it.
When I was in Latin America first and second time, there was terribly loud music and TV´s everywhere, 24/7. I could never escape it, I couldn´t sleep at night. It drove me crazy and sometimes I was crying, often changing hotels but what I found, there it was no better :). I was trying to figure out how others can like this, and I came to conclusion they have either iron nerves, are half deaf or they must be crazy.
Don´t get me wrong, I did like the music, that´s what I particulary liked about latin america, the music everywhere, it makes life more cheerful but when I come home, I need quiet and to be able to relax. I perceived it as invasion into my privacy. Now recently i think I didn´t mind that much, am I getting used to it? I also hated terribly videos on buses, I couldn´t take it, it was making me desperate and angry, i always thought I would get off the bus (or beat up the driver). Now I think I´m getting more used to it, sometimes watching the film (what else to do when I can´t read with that on or just think of anything else). Or I plug my ears and try to ignore it. Sometimes i even like the film. I like music on buses or in the car, doesn´t have to be on all the time though or I don´t like it when I want to read or sleep. I can listen to radio whole day when doing some boring work like for example helping my aunt with wreaths for christmas or dry flower products. Or when I´m washing dishes etc.
I am weird, please get me banned for being weird, I never fit in.

Last edited:

I_Walk_Alone

Many times I can't seem to get away from music. It's hard to read when your brain is running through Paganini's Violin Concerto in D. And it's just plain annoying when you're stuck "listening" to Megadeth while working in the garden. At least if you're listening to it you can turn it off, or put on something else.

But somebody put the power button for my mind's random radio on the inside of my head. :rolleyes:

Man you just brough back some BAD memories.

But thankfully I can deal with it now.

I still get anxious when that ****ing By the Way comes on the radio or TV.

madmike

People listen to music because it makes their life feel significant and purposeful. If you want to see a glimpse of this in action, watch any movie, and you'll always hear music playing whenever something significant is happening. It tends to happen at the pinnacle of brilliance or disaster.

Music is almost like a drug because it triggers remembrance of these emotional highs.

This kind of makes sense. I never watched much TV when i was younger, spent most of my time reading or outdoors, so maybe i've just never made these associations with music. Another explanation might be that i'm just plain weird lol... meh!

I also found this really interesting
BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Music tastes link to personality
At the bottom of the page is shows music genres and what kind of personality people who listen to that music normally have. I don't know how accurate it is but I listen to metal and it fits me near perfectly.

Well, if there's a genre i quite like it's classical, and that apparently relates to a shy personality type. So maybe there's some truth to that.

I like music but don´t have to listen to it all the time. I can spend whole day in a quiet room reading or on internet and don´t have even the need to switch on TV, radio just ocassionaly. But as a background I find it disturbing, I wonder some people like to have music on even when reading or sleeping. There were times I was listening to walkmann a lot when I was abroad, but then somehow I got rid of the habit and don´t miss it.
When I was in Latin America first and second time, there was terribly loud music and TV´s everywhere, 24/7. I could never escape it, I couldn´t sleep at night. It drove me crazy and sometimes I was crying, often changing hotels but what I found, there it was no better :). I was trying to figure out how others can like this, and I came to conclusion they have either iron nerves, are half deaf or they must be crazy.

Haha, sounds like you're almost at the other end of the spectrum; a little too sensitive to it xD But i know what you mean about background music, it's just plain annoying if you're listening to it while doing something else, I have to do one or the other. Reading however, there's one thing without which my existance would instantly become meaningless :)