How does music influence kids?

FriendlyShadow

I've always wondered as kids grow up, what certain music has an impact on them or if they listen to a certain type of band over and over again, are they more grown to liking it? Say if a a kid has parents/relatives who have tastes like Beatles, The Who, Led Zeppelin, ect. and they play their albums on the radio for the kid to listen to, are they more influenced to what their parents listen to over a period of time? When I was really young, my father had me get hooked on to bands like Cold play, Beatles, Kinks, Enya, and so on. I think our taste in music are very much alike.

AtTheGates

Banned
probably...my parents listened to James Taylor when I was a kid and even though i listen to completely opposite types of music now (a lot of metal) that I'm older I still like his music because it reminds me of good times when I was a kid.

some people in my family also listened to the dixie chicks a lot when i was a kid and to this day i still like their music:shyness:

Their cover of landslide is almost better than the original imo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e4Zv-0O3uc

Last edited:

dannyboy65

I don't think my parents music taste effected mine. My mom only listens to country and I hate that and my dad like classic pop, which I also hate. I also have to brothers one without any music taste and the other that likes pop. Me I love metal and rock music.

Requiescat

My parents liked to listen to 60s and 70s pop when I was younger, I never grew to liking it at all. But it depends on the person. We all have to be exposed to something before we can choose to like or dislike it. But just like AtTheGates, there are things I occasionally listen to because it is associated with a positive memory. The subject of waves and how the brain responds to subliminal and direct messages is another interesting topic!

Odo

Banned
This thread reminds me of an article that I read about radio stations being paid (or owned) in order to promote certain artists, and them becoming huge simply because the songs were being played over and over. Apparently, Madonna owes her popularity to the mafia, because they owned the music industry in the 80s (she's Italian).

Here's an interesting article about how the music industry is basically brainwashing people to consume shitty pop songs by making sure you hear them over and over:

How The Music Industry Is Brainwashing You to Like Bad Pop Songs - Mic

They compare it to Stockholm Syndrome.

I know my dad dominated the radio/what kind of music we would listen to while eating and it has definitely had an influence on my musical tastes.

Last edited:

slimjim119

The music my parents listened to had no effect on me. My mother does like some rock music. Like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Elvis Presley. I developed my own tastes over time.

Requiescat

What's worse is that the content of these songs is more and more blatanlty Luciferian in nature. Something commented on by various people of influence, capture the arts and you capture the hearts and minds of people.

My taste in music has evolved quite a bit over the years (I mainly listen the metal and classical now), but I will always have a soft spot for 70's and 80's music because it is what I grew up listening to with my parents and it reminds me of the good times :).

S_Spartan

I started out as a child listening to big band music from the 40s. That sounds strange but I was exposed to it a lot from my grandparents.

Got older and went right to metal. The 80s were a golden age for metal. Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Dio, Motorhead

Then in the late 80s turned to hardcore punk. Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Suicidal Tendencies, Dead Milkmen

Then New Wave..Depeche Mode, The Cure, Elvis Costello, New Order

Early 90s, started reading stereo magazines that had a lot of reviews in the back for jazz and classical so I got into that big time.

And Now I listen to a mix of all of it..and have added folk, electronic, psychedelic.

But to get back to the thread, my parents have always listened to 50s doo-wop and country, both of which I do not like.

(well some country is good but not the pop country they have played on the radio for the last 30 years)

If anything, I've always thought kids are more likely to dislike their parents music in an effort to establish their own identity. They may learn like it again as adults but I've rarely heard kids express much appreciation for music that wasn't part of their generation (roughly.)

I also believe context in which you hear the song- and what connection you have to the lyrics/melody is quite important. That'll always be personal and varied.