How do you handle job interviews being shy?

jdiane

I have struggled and lost out on really good jobs because of my shyness. I landed the job I have now through a friend, so basically the job was handed to me. I'm having a hard time at work though because of the women I work with always interfering in what I do and trying to tell me how I should do things. I'm a receptionist and talk to people all day and have been a receptionist for several years... These women I work with are complaining that I'm not more outgoing on the phone and now I feel my job is in jeapardy... I love what I do and it helps me with my shyness... But I fear that eventually they are going to get me fired.. So now I'm wondering about job interviews... I always hated that because I never know what to say or how to act because it comes very hard for me to talk.. Anyone else have this issue and how do you handle interviews?

mads

Job interviews can be very scary because the way you act there is very important if you want to get the job. But it is not all of course. Try to remember that you still have your job. Those colleagues you have, are not to decide if you should stay there or not. The most important is that you are doing a good job, and I know that a lost of managers hate if someone tell them who should be fired or not.

Maybe you should try to apply for jobs now. It is easier to get an interview if you are currently in a job, and when you are in the interview, you can relax more because you have your old job so you dont need the new job for financial reasons.

I have struggled and lost out on really good jobs because of my shyness. I landed the job I have now through a friend, so basically the job was handed to me. I'm having a hard time at work though because of the women I work with always interfering in what I do and trying to tell me how I should do things. I'm a receptionist and talk to people all day and have been a receptionist for several years... These women I work with are complaining that I'm not more outgoing on the phone and now I feel my job is in jeapardy... I love what I do and it helps me with my shyness... But I fear that eventually they are going to get me fired.. So now I'm wondering about job interviews... I always hated that because I never know what to say or how to act because it comes very hard for me to talk.. Anyone else have this issue and how do you handle interviews?

Your co-workers complain about your shyness? That might be true, but you've worked as a receptionist for a couple of years now, which means you know how to do your work. It's not that you do everything wrong. I don't think it's right that your co-workers act like that to you. They should mind their own business. If you weren't able to do your activities right, you were already fired. To me it's also very hard to talk with people, but during the job interviews I'm pretty relaxed, which means I usually make a good impression. So employers usually will employ me after a job interview. But when I have a job, I barely talk with co-workers. Also I'm too scared to make mistakes during my activities. Next week I'll have 2 job interviews. I'm not nervous at all, but I'm very worried about my social contacts after they employ me. I have so many problems with socializing. Every time when I get a job, I promise myself to become more sociable, but every time I fail again, cuz my thoughts are holding me back. Every time when I want to talk with my co-workers, it's like I can't talk. I will just answer them with short sentences and my voice will turn very dull. I don't know how to handle either. I think the best advice would be: just feel the fear anyway and force yourself to do it and just focus on the activity that you're doing without thinking about anything else or anybody else. Hopefully they will employ me next week and let me sign a contract. It'll be a part-time job, so I'm also looking for a 2nd job. It's always favourable to have more than 1 job, especially if you're too insecure about getting fired. Believe me, everything will be alright for you, it just takes time.

Last edited:

Lorraine Manca

give your interviewer a nickname in your mind, god honest it works like a charm. like mr.rooster giblets or ms. jellyjowls or anything. and practice helps alot too, the more you do the easier it gets

mrb

god i hate job interviews ... there was this one job at a brick yard that lasted 1 hour , talk talk talk then fill in this form :mad: i was thinking oi i worked at a brick yard for 4 years isnt that enough ... then he said ok ill let you know 6 days later a letter on the mat , you have been chosen for another interview :mad: so i went for another 1 hour interview and got the job , but the bloke was an idiot saying ok this is expected of you and do you want to be a ganger , meaning be in charge of 7 blokes , and if theres any Mistakes with wrong bricks being put in the wrong stacks its down to you , and you must report to me any men that are not pulling there weight ect ect ... so got the job , but didnt turn up monday morning , i thought hmmm naaa ill just look for something else , only cos the boss was a twat :rolleyes: you cant keep your eye on 7 men loading bricks into bays 24/7 whilst your loading bricks as well ......the last brick yard i was at asked me to be a ganger but i refused , cos once your a ganger your not one of the boys your a sort of boss on that crew , and not a lot more pay just all the crap with any Mistakes that are made , and having sa hmmm just not for me

Last edited:

MariahCarey

Have a shot of vodka beforehand lol....infact i'm going for a job interview today at 3pm. I'm going to have a little drink to take the edge off.

I went for a job interview at the beginning of this month completely sober and totally screwed things up, i tensed up and i knew the manager could sense my nerves, needless to say i didnt get the job, not surprisingly. So i'm going to see what happens if i have a little cheeky drink. I'll keep you posted :)

P.S. I think natural remedies in general, to relieve nerves/stress etc like rescue remedy or kalms (not sure if they sell them in the US) can definitely help. I'm gonna stock up on a bunch of different natural remedy products at some point and see which one works for me best, maybe you could try it out too!

Emily_G

I hate job interviews. In the past I've tried to hide my stuttering as much as possible, on a few recent ones I've told them about it up front...and didn't get any of the jobs. Why can't people be more understanding?! gah!!

About your current job...just do the best you can do, that's all we can ever offer.

unleashed

just do your best and get through it. sometimes they go bad, sometimes good. occasionally the interviewer is as nervous/shy as you are (thats happened to me). i try to prepare beforehand with things they might ask and answers i can give, ALWAYS research the company before the interview so youre using the right jargon for whatever BS they want you to pretend you care about :D apart from that i try and remind myself that its not the biggest deal in the whole world if i make a fool of myself or if i dont get the job. it is hell but it doesnt last forever...set up a treat for when you get home and just tell yourself ''in an hour i'll be...(drinking a cold beer, having a bath, watching South Park..'' good luck!

Zav

I've got a real problem getting some of the simplest of jobs right now because of this. My interviews eventually get awkward at some point, even though I generally try to act casual. The worst interviews I've had have been in public places, like cafes, because I'm afraid of what nearby people think when they hear my responses.

dead24

im nervous about these interviews too after I graduate from college. I don't know if im gonna pretend to look nice and friendly, thats just not me and it doesnt feel good pretending. Ill eventually revert back to my original form and they'd probably going to wonder what happened to me. Although this wouldnt be my main problem, my main problem would be trying not to be awkward with people im going to work with and especially the boss. I cant imagine just dead silence being with these people. I just wish I would simply die right now so I wouldnt have to worry about all this bull****

Last edited: