How do you feel people after medicaments,its helping?

DespairSoul

I want to ask how do you feel after medicaments if is big diffrence as with out with Social Phobia? And it is some one here who go therapy and is helping him a lot or just little i know is individual but still i need to ask coz im prepared go to therapy but with staying there some months and i wanna know how that work on you if some one have some succeses and feel much better? Thank you to all ::p: :eek:***

i take it you mean medications?? for me it makes me feel better only beacuse it triggers the brain to produce seratonin...but mine is usually used for depression more so then SA (i have both)....i have been looking at switching to more anxiety specific meds, but i have a feeling these are harsher/more risky meds. for my meds if i have a bad day i double dose it and then im quite relaxed/chilled/spaced out till it wears off. so for me its helps with mood only...does nothing for my social skills.

Remus

Staff member
They put me on meds in the 90's and early 00's (prozac and Propranolol etc.) seemed to get me nowhere, infact I felt worse. Benzo's helped initially but you can't really keep that up as you end up a benzo junky. Docs these days avoid prescribing that for just SA, opting for SSRI's etc. CBT and exposure therapy seemed to work better for me but still far from perfect and very very hard to put into practice, wish they invented some miracle drug so this place would be empty!!!!

Last edited:

Fighter86

Hello no one take medicaments? No one was visiting therapy?:confused::confused:

Some couple years back, I visited a therapist (a psychologist) who diagnosed me with SA, and was also paired with a psychiatrist (psychologists are not able to dispense medications) who prescribed me with medication. She put me on Prozac (although I was not clinically depressed) and Xanax, a type of bezons. It is a short term fast acting solution to anxiety situations to help cope with anxious situations, they are to be taken only when I feel anxious, the Prozac was suppose to be taken daily. I only took Prozac for a very short time, as I suffered from symptoms that made me physically quite uncomfortable so I stopped them. I liked the Xanax though, it was pretty effective. However, when I took them again recently, they didn't seem to work anymore, even when I took a higher dose. Maybe my body got immune to it, I have no idea.

I guess a way to get your therapy started is to evaluate if you feel you need medication. If your anxiety can be contained/ controlled with therapy alone, then its great to just use that. I personally prefer to do without medication, but at that time, I was really in a bad space, so I had opted for medication in the end. I mean, I have classes I had to attend like tomorrow, the next day, the day after next, and well, therapy doesn't work immediately so the doc prescribed the benzos to help with the anxiety. Over here, we couldn't just cut school and defer a semester by not attending, I actually need to apply for deferment, its a troublesome process.

Remus

Staff member
I've yet to see any kind of research that Xanax is not without side effects esp after long term use (ie. not funded by a pharm manufacturer), I'm sure all of us would be on it if it was the perfect drug. After the explosive posts with you and Punkrotten on the subject of meds, I'd be careful what you write from now on.

The OP asked how meds affected us, so maybe keep your replies to that, rather than another drugs arguement thread

DespairSoul

i take it you mean medications?? for me it makes me feel better only beacuse it triggers the brain to produce seratonin...but mine is usually used for depression more so then SA (i have both)....i have been looking at switching to more anxiety specific meds, but i have a feeling these are harsher/more risky meds. for my meds if i have a bad day i double dose it and then im quite relaxed/chilled/spaced out till it wears off. so for me its helps with mood only...does nothing for my social skills.

Yes i mean medications. Yes i guess i have very less serotonin in my head coz my moods change like a weather and make me totally with out powers to do anything i wish only lie in bed and can be the best day outside sunshine and i will be angry and tired of it coz i cant anyway go out so much and one think what was only helping me if go bicycle/was pretty hard going bicycle for me/ and make little happy hormons in my head natural,but dont help me at all only little bit and with SA on bicycle isnt the best idea if u feel so scared about people,cars,supermarkets and everything mix up in your head. I must finally kick my ass and go for some help to professionals. You say that you feel chill out and u have better mood,but if u go out u feel the same then? Wich medications it is what they gave u? Best regards and thank u for answer :eek:)

DespairSoul

They put me on meds in the 90's and early 00's (prozac and Propranolol etc.) seemed to get me nowhere, infact I felt worse. Benzo's helped initially but you can't really keep that up as you end up a benzo junky. Docs these days avoid prescribing that for just SA, opting for SSRI's etc. CBT and exposure therapy seemed to work better for me but still far from perfect and very very hard to put into practice, wish they invented some miracle drug so this place would be empty!!!!

Hello Remus,

Thank u for answering. U say they put u on prozac and propranol and wasnt working on you and u felt worse;/ yes exactly thats is this what im affraid off that will have some side effects this i dont need im crayzy from Sa enough and yet some junky effects this im really waiting for:eek:
Exposure therapy yes i believe is good everything is better then medications but if u dont have chooise and will not help that way only practice situation in public and training my brain then anyway i must get some medications even if love to be with out but i think im one of who just cant with out this opinion must make about me some profi but even profi can be mistaken.
On miracles i dont believe from my childhood;) And you are right this place will be empty for sure and i dont think so they will in future find something perfect.

DespairSoul

Some couple years back, I visited a therapist (a psychologist) who diagnosed me with SA, and was also paired with a psychiatrist (psychologists are not able to dispense medications) who prescribed me with medication. She put me on Prozac (although I was not clinically depressed) and Xanax, a type of bezons. It is a short term fast acting solution to anxiety situations to help cope with anxious situations, they are to be taken only when I feel anxious, the Prozac was suppose to be taken daily. I only took Prozac for a very short time, as I suffered from symptoms that made me physically quite uncomfortable so I stopped them. I liked the Xanax though, it was pretty effective. However, when I took them again recently, they didn't seem to work anymore, even when I took a higher dose. Maybe my body got immune to it, I have no idea.

I guess a way to get your therapy started is to evaluate if you feel you need medication. If your anxiety can be contained/ controlled with therapy alone, then its great to just use that. I personally prefer to do without medication, but at that time, I was really in a bad space, so I had opted for medication in the end. I mean, I have classes I had to attend like tomorrow, the next day, the day after next, and well, therapy doesn't work immediately so the doc prescribed the benzos to help with the anxiety. Over here, we couldn't just cut school and defer a semester by not attending, I actually need to apply for deferment, its a troublesome process.

Hello Fighter :)

Thank u for asnwering also:) I was too by psychologist but he sad i must visit him only for talking and seating and that he isnt suppose to give some pills only psychiatr. Then later i went so other one that she can write me something soft for chill only what is giving even to childs before stress for example if they go opearation wasnt antidepresivum this i know. Coz i dont want to travel to this psycholog was for me very hard go city bus and visiting him then i already give up with some seatings and just want something for chill me and hoping will help,but with out diagnoza they dont give u nothing. Just i dont wanted admit myself that im really on this so bad that i must visit some psycholog even some psychiatr and i wanted the fastest way how dumb maybe if u would go already to some mental hospital will not going with me worse and worse. Just i was to much scared of that but i dont have now chooise i must try it something even if i hate it go somewhere. I only cry whole days and feel upset,and dont enjoy days only if im home and this is killing me outside i go very rarely.This i go only if im pressed to some situation. And is hell.

Then u say u was on Xanas and prozac,hmm i was hearing about xanax actually of some people on other forum that is very fast dependence on him and if u put him off u feel later creepy, it is true?But also he have good effects but this dependence is just there. Aha u say too that wasnt later working if u took them recently then this pretty for nothing if your body get use to it and later just u take it and dont work? Propably is individual too.
In school i dont wonder u need something as only therapy i was alone dont finishing school coz of my issues. But i guess if could be with out this pills helping i will be happy to infinity of infinities but this would be actually miracle.This therapy is for long running. How long u did this therapy? And u have yet some needs to visit psychiatr or just u live and fight with out?
And yet one question u was visiting grouppe sitings and sharing your problems with others or just psychiatr?U wasnt longer in some mental hospital coz this i want to actually try.

Feathers

Hey! :)

Have you tried EFT emofree.com or TAT tatlife.com yet? (free pdf files that tell you how to do it) EFT is like accupressure/acupuncture, without needles - you tap on certain points on your body and say certain things to yourself.. For TAT, you just put your hands in position and say some things silently to yourself.. They really helped me in the past...

I was very sad after a friend's brother died and EFT really helped... Just don't do it before sleep, it can make you feel too energized... You can do TAT before sleep, it's calmer.. Don't fall asleep with hands 'in position' though..

I also recommend the book The Feeling Good Handbook by Dr David Burns - introduction to CBT therapy, some people on another forum wrote it's better than their therapist for CBT, it really depends what kind of therapist you get. See if your library has it! It really helped me to write down thoughts and then work on them to see how valid they were.. Journalling can really help a lot.

EscapeArtist and some other people really like their therapists... There are also therapists online (I think for pay though). Maybe you can talk to someone on the phone?

You can also post some troubles/worries on the forum and maybe some people can help... It has really helped me in the past to get some feedback on my worries here too... Other people can give you a new and different perspective or insight..

Have you tried any herbal teas too?

I stay away from meds, even herbal pills when I took just one it didn't help, after two I felt like a zombie..

Walking every day can help too, mum knows of someone who cured her depression with walks when antidepressants didn't work!!

Good luck!!

PS Are you from Czech republic/Slovakia/Poland? Just wondering... :)

DespairSoul

Re: How do you feel people after medications,its helping?

Hello FEATHERS,

Thank you very much for exhausting asnwer. I mean it like compliment:)

Is seems you know very well what to do and how to fight with out pills.
I alone dont know if i can do it with out first i will go therapy im going next
year coz i cant take it anymore. I cant take it anymore long time but
i feel so tired and with out energy like zombie and i didnt take herbal tea:D

I will try EFT sound really interresting and for sure come from old style of kitan culture they are misters in those stuff who know maybe if i will press me
points i will get little relaxed.
Also this book as u say is much could be really good!
Do you say some members like it more then therapist wow ;)
You are reall fighter girl if u do it everything with out medications. I appreaciate this how some one can be so strong i wish i can be too.
Your english next to my is excellent!
Posting and reading here sad ofcourse happy stories i love happy ends and im glad for others atleast that they can do it something change about theirs lives helping me little chill that im not alone in those hell.
Therapist exactly is depends wich one you get truly scary if u get some one who just cant help u and yet estabilish bad diagnose what happend by many people..later they take diffrent pills as they should and are more wasted as they was before cool!

And tell me yet something you are now completely healthy like u feel rarely bad you just fly out from SA like happy child? If yes how long was way to those wonderfull finish?

You smartie wondering right im from Czech and you?:)

Fighter86

Then u say u was on Xanas and prozac,hmm i was hearing about xanax actually of some people on other forum that is very fast dependence on him and if u put him off u feel later creepy, it is true?

Yes, I believe this to be true actually. I actually did brought up this concern to my psychiatrist but she said she was giving me very low dosage so I wouldn't be addicted to it. All the same, it is important to note that bezos generally are short term solutions to anxiety due to their nature to cause dependencies.

But also he have good effects but this dependence is just there. Aha u say too that wasnt later working if u took them recently then this pretty for nothing if your body get use to it and later just u take it and dont work? Propably is individual too.

I guess it could be that my body was becoming resistant to it, its funny though because the first time I took it, I was taking it for a very short period, I don't believe I have even used it for more than a week or two. When I came back to it again, a couple of years has since lapsed so I don't know how I could have been resistant to the medication since firstly, I had used very little of it over a very short period of time the first time round, and secondly, there have been such a long lapse between my first time and second time use. At first, I had thought perhaps the medication had expired so it wasn't effective anymore so I had another prescription written but the new meds didn't prove to be working any better than my previous leftover batch.

In school i dont wonder u need something as only therapy i was alone dont finishing school coz of my issues. But i guess if could be with out this pills helping i will be happy to infinity of infinities but this would be actually miracle.This therapy is for long running. How long u did this therapy? And u have yet some needs to visit psychiatr or just u live and fight with out?

I didn't complete school in the end. I underwent therapy for half a year, I had wanted to continue longer but I couldn't quite get along with the new therapist so I decided to stop therapy. Another reason I stopped was because therapy was also starting to cause me alot of money.

And yet one question u was visiting grouppe sitings and sharing your problems with others or just psychiatr?U wasnt longer in some mental hospital coz this i want to actually try.

I think it would actually have been nice to try out the group sittings thing but I don't think it is being offered where I live, so nope, I have actually not been through it before. All my previous sessions were one to one with my therapist or psychiatrist.

DespairSoul

Yes, I believe this to be true actually. I actually did brought up this concern to my psychiatrist but she said she was giving me very low dosage so I wouldn't be addicted to it. All the same, it is important to note that bezos generally are short term solutions to anxiety due to their nature to cause dependencies.

Short term solutions cause of dependencies,do you think every meds or just this bezos? Hmm i must check this bezos little coz i exactly dont know what that mean propably they i named like that because of dependence and classify in bezos. Thats mean what isnt bezos is better?Just something like serotonin level.

I guess it could be that my body was becoming resistant to it, its funny though because the first time I took it, I was taking it for a very short period, I don't believe I have even used it for more than a week or two. When I came back to it again, a couple of years has since lapsed so I don't know how I could have been resistant to the medication since firstly, I had used very little of it over a very short period of time the first time round, and secondly, there have been such a long lapse between my first time and second time use. At first, I had thought perhaps the medication had expired so it wasn't effective anymore so I had another prescription written but the new meds didn't prove to be working any better than my previous leftover batch.

I guess this funny to me:) You are natural resistant for medications this is quiet interresting just your body decide no, this not good i will not take it this substancies and your organism create some natural defensive fight for that:D Just little kidding. Expired ofcourse this dont work ussualy almost nothing and i think isnt much good idea take something expired. Actually now is your situation how?You arent on meds propably if your body make strikes for meds.Anyway with out is the best way if u are able be fine.

I didn't complete school in the end. I underwent therapy for half a year, I had wanted to continue longer but I couldn't quite get along with the new therapist so I decided to stop therapy. Another reason I stopped was because therapy was also starting to cause me alot of money.

Well me either as i was saying. Very good that u went this therapy with this u can nothing sabotage. Therapist is really importand cause if u get some bad one and dont fell pleasantly with him is no sense visit tha place. U must trust him and feel good as is possible(this you was knowing anyway) thats why u quit). And money yes what else dumb money destroy your plans to get healthy this cause i really dislike should be cheaply or even for free. We wasnt choosing us destiny:/

I think it would actually have been nice to try out the group sittings thing but I don't think it is being offered where I live, so nope, I have actually not been through it before. All my previous sessions were one to one with my therapist or psychiatrist.

Damn, too bad that u dont have occasion try out group sittings. I personaly hope it will be there where i will go but constantly im affraid of my reaction if will maybe close myself and dont want to do it no idea now. But good u was doing for u something!

Thank you for asnwering;)